hello rene....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
:10:
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3678
RE: hello rené.... 2005/08/25 21:47:17 (permalink)
rhino just wasnt for me. I tried the demo out..though limited with sounds...I just couldnt get into it. it had some really great features, and the pads were some of the better ones i have heard compared to higher priced synths....but it just wasnt for me.

da berzurkur
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: hello rené.... 2005/08/25 22:00:48 (permalink)
next in line would be bass, as there aren't many synths that seem to do really good bass; I don't mean trance bass, but DnB type stuff that you hear tearing through the dark drum n bass...

just as a side note mate...most drum n bass producers program their bass using multiple instances with each layer finely tuned to specific frequency ranges...it is not impossible to do this with psyn...you just have to roll up your sleeves...and get to tweakin' anyway... just a thought....peace.
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
RE: hello rené.... 2005/08/25 22:19:13 (permalink)

the best synth i've heard for bass is Tera

the majority of presets are some euro cheese version of somebody else's impression of dance bass
but with just a little tweaking the cheese is squeezed out and and with a little compression they can be really great -- nice punch and still enough mid-range register to give the bass some shape in a mix
Tera can do a lot of things really well, but gets only periodic visibility

Absynth has surprisingly good basses as well -- not quite the 'body' that Tera manages -- but very well esp. for as well as it does so many other things

it's true a lot of synths are weak and thin on bass, no matter what you do.
for free Triangle II has a number of very usable presets for bass

another good one for FM bass (but a little limited and probably dated) by now is Hydra

CloudWalker
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 799
RE: hello rené.... 2005/08/25 22:33:40 (permalink)
Do you have a link to a Tera demo? Im too lazy to go find it.
jmeredith
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
RE: hello rené.... 2005/08/25 22:42:26 (permalink)
I believe this is what Jan is referring...
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
RE: hello rené.... 2005/08/26 03:35:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wrench45us

the best synth i've heard for bass is Tera

the majority of presets are some euro cheese version of somebody else's impression of dance bass
but with just a little tweaking the cheese is squeezed out and and with a little compression they can be really great -- nice punch and still enough mid-range register to give the bass some shape in a mix
Tera can do a lot of things really well, but gets only periodic visibility

This is the problem with a lot of softsynths though, in that too many of their presets are aimed at the trance crowd. I have played with Tera in the past and it had a nice sound to it, but it wasn't exactly an easy to use synth...in some respects, D'Cota was a nice compromise but it appears to be a dead product.

Absynth has surprisingly good basses as well -- not quite the 'body' that Tera manages -- but very well esp. for as well as it does so many other things

I like the sound of Absynth too, but I could never get comfortable with it's interface. Try as I might, I never managed to make any decent presets for it, so it would mean buying it just to use the bundled sounds, which isn't what I like to do (especially as many of the Absynth presets would be pretty easy to spot in track). Some synths just don't click for me and no amount of manual reading will help with the ergonomics of the interface...

it's true a lot of synths are weak and thin on bass, no matter what you do.
for free Triangle II has a number of very usable presets for bass

another good one for FM bass (but a little limited and probably dated) by now is Hydra

Never really use FM bass. T2 does have some nice basses...I have also found that Iblit is pretty good for bass too. Muon Tau Pro is capable of some good stuff in that area as well.

The best bass synth I have heard recently is actually for Buzztracker, it's called Square Space and has a really nice solid sound to it, without any effecting at all...shame it isn't available as a VST
oroboros
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
RE: hello rené.... 2005/08/26 23:54:56 (permalink)
You can count me as another PSYN fence-sitter. When I first heard it, I loved it, but now that I have more soft synths and a better ear, there is something 'odd' about its sound. There's something 'narrow' and 'digital' about the sound. However, what I've found is that sending PSYN output to an analog tube emulator, or something of the sort, really changes the sound completely - it's like having a completely different synth. Much like the difference between z3ta and the virus mod z3ta - same synth, but completely different sound. The overly digital nature of the PSYN is removed with such an effect, and the output sounds ... 'cleaner', 'smoother', less 'gritty'. The analog tube emulator (of a sort) that I've been using most recently is iZotope's Trash, BTW, but I'm sure any good version will help somewhat.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1