Effects; how good are they?

Author
oddeo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/08/24 13:54:17 (permalink)

Effects; how good are they?

Do you use them? Need something better?

I don't Have P5 yet, but I tried the demo, and was not wowed by the effects or Psyn 2,
but thats probably due to my lack of experience with this sort of stuff. I tried the Live5 demo and found the effects and sound, 'sounded better'. I'm sure once I learn how to use it properly, I can improve the 'sound' in P5.

Thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Effects; how good are they? 2005/08/24 14:21:30 (permalink)
    Kinetic comes with almost the same bundle of effects as Project-5, which include:

- Filter: Good but not great. Flexible. Overdrive doesn't do much, though.
    - Tempo Delay: Pretty good for some parts but can sound muddy. EQ helps quite a bit.
    - Phaser: Not the most flexible but sounds very good.
    - Chorus: Pretty good sounding. I like it a lot.
    - Compressor: OK for mild use but doesn't work well with full mixes. Lacks a meter.
    - Parametric EQ: Same as compressor, works for mild tweaks but that's about it.
    - Reverb: I remember it being good. I have the Kinetic reverb which is a bit grainier but I use it a lot.
    - HF Exciter: Used carefully, it can add some sparkle where it's needed.

In short, it's a pretty good suite for a softsynth workstation. Better in some aspects than the plugs included with Sonar Studio Edition (not the Sonitus suite).

Kinetic also includes the SpectraFX plugin, which is sort of a Kaoss Pad-like multieffect unit. Doesn't sound great but it can be fun and does better distortion than the Filter plugin. I'm not sure if SpectraFX is included with P5 but it probably is.

Also, Project-5 has the new Alias Factor bit-reduction/resampling plugin which I'm sure it's great for dirty stuff, and the Spectral Transformer which, whatever it does, I'm sure it's pretty cool.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Effects; how good are they? 2005/08/24 15:47:03 (permalink)
    spectral transformer is included with p5. developed by trevor wishart in conjunction with cdp the composers desktop project imo one of the most powerful dxi sound manglers around for the price.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1