Too many FX and plug-ins?

Author
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
2005/08/26 21:20:35 (permalink)

Too many FX and plug-ins?

I'd be very interested in feedback here especially from anybody who records mostly acoustic music.

I have reached the conclusion that very many of the wide range of plug-ins and toys available are little more than distractions and gimmicks. I'm talking about things like Coyote Chorus and the like.

I've gone completely through 180 degrees on this topic with the passage of time and experience. I'm finding that in the main I can get a better, cleaner, fuller and more natural sound using (exactly how varies from song to song) using a fairly minimalist tool kit:

Noise Gate, minimum EQ necessary and gentle compression on each track (if beneficial). De-esser and or de-popper on Vox as required.
For fattening or filling out thin sounds, a combination of the above with cloning tracks (sometimes up to three clones of a track) with some permutation of nudging and/or panning and/or differential EQ and/or differential compression.

Occasionally, Antares Microphone Modeller.

A touch of reverb (or different reverbs) using Busses
Possible Chorus using Busses (where required)

Then, in the Master Bus (or when mastering):

- A touch of finishing EQ if needed to add warmth and/or air, as required
- Maybe some stereo imaging, especially where the band is recorded live together.
- Gentle multiband compression
- Gentle Limiting

I'd be really interested to hear other people's experiences and views on this. Is there some panaceic tool that I'm missing?

Thanks

post edited by glazfolk - 2005/08/26 22:03:53

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers

20 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/26 21:38:44 (permalink)
    I do almost all my dynamics with the clip gain envelope so I don't have to use compressors, limiters, or de-essers on the tracks. Or if I do I can use a more conservative setting after fixing the big stuff with the clip gain.

Reverb as needed on the tracks (no busses, just use the dry mix control).

Master compressor limiter on the main bus just to get the level up a little. If I export (24bit) and check the wav in Sound Forge and it's too much or too little I go back, adjust the master compressor and re-export till I get it right. What I hear is what I get mode.

Last step trim and fade the ends in Sound Forge, resample to 44.1 and bit reduce with dither to 16bit, save, done.

glazfolk
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/26 21:45:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Frank ...

This is interesting AND encouraging ... it seems that you are even more minimalist in these things than I am!

I should just add that after trying all sorts of permutations, I now record always at 24/88.2 if the material is destined for CD, 24/96 if it's for DVD Audio.

Best, Geoff
    no criminal intent
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 03:58:29 (permalink)
    Yeah, Im beginning to head more and more in that direction as well. Maxed out on FXs and plugs and appreciating the more simple, clear sounds. But then tomorrow, who knows?.

zumba
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 05:27:02 (permalink)
    Yup I agree.

Having only 1 uad-1 kinda pushes you in that direction anyhow ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 07:29:33 (permalink)
    My approach is doing and/or using whatever it takes to get the job done. I always like a less is more approach, but sometimes you have to do more with less in order to end up with a big sound in the overall mix.
    post edited by chaz - 2005/08/27 16:18:02
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 14:29:18 (permalink)
    have reached the conclusion that very many of the wide range of plug-ins and toys available are little more than distractions and gimmicks.

I suppose the same thing could have been said about the gear that used to occupy those gigantic racks that a lot of us had as well.

They're really just tools, or put even more plainly, options. What you do with them is really at your discretion, and what you feel the tracks need or lack.

There have been times where I've done tracks with no compression, no EQ and no processing whatsoever, (which is about as minimalistic as you can get) and have had them come out great, other times, I need to open the "toolbox", be it rack or virtual, and dig around. They're no different from any of the old rack units we used to use, except that they're more affordable (some are even free) and they sure don't occupy an entire half of the room like they used to (not to mention cables, PB's, snakes, etc). I'd much rather have them occupy my hard drive then push me out of the room with their bulk... LOL

It's been my opinion in the past and I guess it still rings true, at least for me, and that is just because you have 4 thousand plugs (or rack mount units) doesn't mean you have to use them.

FWIW

D.
    chaz
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 16:39:10 (permalink)
    When tracking..... Getting the best possible sound/signal inside the box that I can is of the utmost importance to me. So, using the best hardware I can afford is important in that process as well.

Once things are inside the DAW, I rely on using the best plugins for the job. Some of those plugins cost a lot of money, while others came bundled with software. And some are free..... like digitalfishphones; which btw, are great plugins!

Anyway.....

I think Donny said it best.....
    just because you have 4 thousand plugs (or rack mount units) doesn't mean you have to use them.

The end result is very important and how one gets there is secondary, but important as well. If the job calls for no plugins, then that is what you go with. And if it calls for many plugins, you go with that as well.

BTW..... Welcome back, Donny. Hope you had an enjoyable and safe vacation.
    DonnyAir
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 16:51:57 (permalink)
    Hope you had an enjoyable and safe vacation.

I did Chaz.. thanks!

One more thing to ask yourself when using any processing of any kind is this:

am I using this (fill in the blank) because I have it at my fingertips? Am I using it because I've been told that I should because everyone else does? Or am I using it because this is really what is needed on this track at this particular time.

That being said, don't shut yourself out to the point where experimentation suffers as well. While I completely agree that scrolling through every effect just for the sake of having or using one will probably result in simply time lost, don't discount the possibility that a given synth sound or FX patch might spark something creative as well.
    While this process is based upon a "production resulting in composition" form, and for me it's rare (I generally have a song first and then polish with production) and it's not a real common method, but it has happened; a particular sound, or effect has gotten the ball rolling more than once.

just a thought..

D.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 16:59:21 (permalink)
    Yes, very often, less is more.

But some times too much is just right.

There's a famous LA-style engineer that had quote something like, I like things to sound natural, and I don't care how extreme the processing it takes to make it sound like that.
    chaz
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 18:00:49 (permalink)
    One more thing to ask yourself when using any processing of any kind is this:

am I using this (fill in the blank) because I have it at my fingertips? Am I using it because I've been told that I should because everyone else does? Or am I using it because this is really what is needed on this track at this particular time.

Absolutely!

And most importantly..... Knowing WHAT to use, WHEN to use it and HOW to use plugins are key as well!
    chaz
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 18:02:24 (permalink)
    There's a famous LA-style engineer that had quote something like, I like things to sound natural, and I don't care how extreme the processing it takes to make it sound like that.

Whatever it takes to get the best end result, right?!
    glazfolk
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/27 18:49:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the comments guys, this has been helpful.

I guess I'd like to add another point about where I was really going with the original post and question.

It seems to me that the techniques wqe use to shape sound consist of four basic tools:

1. Volume Control (faders, compressors, limiters, noise gates)
    2. Equalization
    3. Panning
    4. Time Based Manipulation (such as Delay, Chorus, Reverb)

Many of the fancy gizmos and whatnots that are packaged as plug-ins really just use these tools in some combination, tucked in behind a sexy interface. If you understand the science, and know how to use correctly and in combination the basic tools of the carft, not only do you not need the "bells and whistles" - you're actually better off without them.

That's my theory anyway, which is why I find, after spending I don't know how many hours, no months or years, playing around with so many of these darned things, that it's better just to get back to the basic tools of the trade - but remember, I'm talking acoustic, I'm not trying to create a Laurie Anderson or Phil Spector sound (showing my age).

Any thoughts?
    post edited by glazfolk - 2005/08/27 19:39:40
    name1432
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/30 02:38:56 (permalink)
    i talked with laurie anderson backstage when i was 10, i thought she was hot..

i don't have a small list like that, glazfolk, but i have a couple of ideals

1. the unprocessed tracks have to sound good before i processes
    2. the selection and layout of effects is decided during the song-composition phase, before recording; the processing is essential element, not an afterthought

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Many of the fancy gizmos and whatnots that are packaged as plug-ins really just use these tools in some combination, tucked in behind a sexy interface. If you understand the science, and know how to use correctly and in combination the basic tools of the craft, not only do you not need the "bells and whistles" - you're actually better off without them.

I agree some user interface is distracting junk, but I do think interface-interface can add power to a plug in, making it easier or even possible to tune (tuning some multiband compressors is beyond my capability; interface is key for something as complex as that imho); for example the Waves EQ's let you move multiple sliders at the same time, which makes possible tuning methods impossible on other EQ's.

Also, not all plug-in implementations are created equal.. they have the potential to add noise, distortion, and other forms of signal corruption. Phaser algorithms vary greatly, more of an art than a science. Various EQ's may generate different shaped curves (the 'Q' parameter is ambiguous). Compressors all sound very different to me, I can't get any two to sound the same.. Reverbs might use any number of EQ filter-types and -shapes, and non-convolution reverbs vary in sound. It all makes a difference, but takes time to compare them
    post edited by name1432 - 2005/08/30 03:07:53
    codashome
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/30 09:11:53 (permalink)

It seems to me that the techniques wqe use to shape sound consist of four basic tools:

2. Equalization
    3. Panning

Many of the fancy gizmos and whatnots that are packaged as plug-ins really just use these tools in some combination, tucked in behind a sexy interface. If you understand the science, and know how to use correctly and in combination the basic tools of the carft, not only do you not need the "bells and whistles" - you're actually better off without them.

I've been working on my quartet's latest project for several months now, waiting for my keyboardist to get off his ass and do his parts (the basic tracks were all done live, no midi). Mostly doing experimental mixing while waiting, trying out new plugs, techniques, and what not. What I am finding out is that now that I have all the parts assembled, I am starting to turn off individual plugs to see if it really makes a difference in the overall mix. For the most part, I've been able to get rid of a lot dynamics-based plugs (compressors & gates) as well as some EQ, but I've kept a bunch of time-based things like reverb and delay. When I was in school, my mantra was "The job of production is that of reduction." Yeah, I have the resources to throw the kitchen sink at the mix, but for the most part on our songs, paring it down to the essentials seems to work best.

Donny, I remember days when the bulk of the racks didn't push me out of the room; it was the heat generated by all the hardware!

DonnyAir
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/30 09:58:49 (permalink)

2. Equalization
    3. Panning

I don't know that I would go so far as to say that we're "better off without them" Glaz,
    if I'm understanding your statement correctly, this would imply that all these parameters are "fix its" or "tools to repair", and I don't think that this is necessarily so.

I think that these tools are often used for "repair", but I don't think that's what they're main function has to be.

Keeping in mind that they are enhancers as well, and that they don't have to be tools used to "heal" imperfections; with the time based effects, it could simply be that you'd like to hear what that performance sounded like in different acoustical environments (and it's easier than recording the same performance in 10 different rooms real time..LOL).

With dynamic control and EQ, we could use the human element, say, a vocalist for the sake of example, and no 2 human voices sound alike, and to take that one further, the same human voice doesn't sound the same from note to note either. Any instrument that oscillates in both tone and amplitude will most likely require an "enhancement". Add the human factor in and you've now got variables that you don't really have with a snare note on a drum machine, etc.

With Equalisation, we might have 10 tracks that sound great solo'd up, all on their own, but when mixed with the other tracks, tonal characteristics change on the entire mix.

And, there's the environments we are working in. I've worked in really bad sounding rooms and really good sounding rooms, but I've yet to work in a room, no matter how good, that was acoustically "perfect" from top to bottom.

I guess it's my feeling that while these are tools, they aren't necessarily tools used to "fix" 100% of the time, but used for enhancement as well. Perhaps I'm looking at this as the glass being half full vs half empty here, and perhaps we're thinking the same things but just saying them differently.

I would also present, for the sake of consideration, that there were two parameters left out of your list, Glaz, and those would be mic technique (which I suppose would largely cover all the others you mentioned), and perhaps the most important one: Performance.

And finally, I'll state my position one more time: Just because I have these at my fingertips doesn't mean I'm going to use all or any of them just for the sake of using them. Each piece of music is entirely different, and even the same exact piece of music can be interpreted differently by different people as to what it needs or doesn't.

I generally let the song "drive the car", and if I find myself relying on these tools and enhancers alone to make a song better, then I know that I probably have a bad song to begin with...LOL.. but if I have a good song to begin with, a little bit of this, a little of that, etc., can enhance it. That being said, no amount of production or processing can turn a really bad song into a really good one, IMHO.

FWIW

D.
    glazfolk
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/30 18:07:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DonnyAir
    I generally let the song "drive the car", and if I find myself relying on these tools and enhancers alone to make a song better, then I know that I probably have a bad song to begin with...LOL.. but if I have a good song to begin with, a little bit of this, a little of that, etc., can enhance it. That being said, no amount of production or processing can turn a really bad song into a really good one, IMHO.

Thanks Donny ... some good points here.

Best, Geoff
    algorhythm
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/30 20:46:26 (permalink)
    I'd be very interested in feedback here especially from anybody who records mostly acoustic music.

I have reached the conclusion that very many of the wide range of plug-ins and toys available are little more than distractions and gimmicks. ...

I sometimes think that all those FXs are to compensate for poor musicianship and miking.

Rent the DVD, Tom Dowd & the Language of Music, and look at how he recorded Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, and Thelonius Monk, and listen to the old vinyl; great musicianship and great miking.
    DonnyAir
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/30 21:54:57 (permalink)
    I sometimes think that all those FXs are to compensate for poor musicianship and miking.

I guess that's one way of looking at it, as I said in a previous post of mine:

But..they can be great when you have great performances as well.

I can understand what you are saying, but the artists you mentioned, or at least most of them, had very few choices when it came to FX and processing anyway, and, their styles were more defined and less reliant on said processing.

Most reverb at that time was obtained through the use of ambient mic'ing in a hallway or for the elite, a plate reverb room, and remember, that heavy use of compressors and dynamic controllers weren't as much a necessity with analog (the format which these artists cut their masters on) (and before I get flamed out here..I didn't say they didn't use it.. I was merely pointing out that in today's digital "0 is absolute" world, dynamic control is used more heavily.)...

In short, I don't think Brother Ray or Aretha's material needed special FX or heavy processing to begin with, but plenty of other acts at the time did indeed take advantage of it, and I don;t think it made them "poor musicians". Sgt. Pepper was heavily loaded with FX, tape loops, varying speeds, verb, echo, etc., and I think, whether you liked them or not, you'd be hard pressed to find the Beatle's "poor" musicians.
    The same could be said for Floyd, Led Zep, or any of the other pioneering musicians in popular music.

Just thought I'd give my 2 bits...

D.
    glazfolk
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/30 22:54:30 (permalink)
    Donny,

So much depends as well, I think, on the style of music being recorded. I do a lot of recording of bluegrass and similar styles - sort of country meets bluegrass meets folk.

I've found that for me, the aspects of the recording which really contribute to getting the "right" sound are, in descending order of importance as follows. I'm ignoring "Performance" as an issue, which sounds weird, but my reasons will become obvious:

1. Microphone selection and placement (including a room mike or two to catch natural warmth and natural reverb)
    2. Panning
    3. Use of EQ (largely to create space, forward or backward in mix)
    4. Compression (to smooth out peaks and add body and space to the mix).
    5. Perhaps a touch of reverb.

I would be very interested to pick your brains for anything you think I might be missing out on at this stage of post production - keping in mind of course the style od music.

For the kind of work I'm talking about, only if Performance becomes an issue (ie is less good than desired or expected) do the following then come into their own:

1. Wave Editing (esp Cut/Paste)
    2. Pitch correction software
    3. Time based FX such as Digital Delay, Chorus, Reverb

Then after mixing it comes to mastering, which ususally follows my standard mastering chain.

Best
    Geoff

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    DonnyAir
    RE: Too many FX and plug-ins? 2005/08/31 08:51:48 (permalink)
    So much depends as well, I think, on the style of music being recorded.

I think that this is really the key Geoff.

Unless bluegrass and it's similar genres have changed, this is one of those styles where you want it as natural as you can get.

LOL..I really don't hear huge amounts of delay and flange in the bluegrass I listen to.

Mic'ing technique is gonna be the most important facet here, I believe; so it's no surprise to me that you put this first in your list of importance.

I've mixed more than one bluegrass project over the years, and I can tell you that if given the right performers, and using various mono and stereo mic arrays, this stuff will pretty much mix itself... (as it should).

Now.. don't get me wrong.. I didn't say it was the easiest stuff to record; to the contrary, anytime you are working with primarily acoustic instruments, I actually find it a bit tougher than if I am working with an act that has synths or amps (pretty much plug in and go using DI's, 57 on an amp, that kind of thing).
    (Orchestral is similar in it's need for mic technique BTW)... what I meant was that while you don't need to use a lot of processing, you do need to really pay attention to mic placement, and to do the most you can to getting the sound "out of the box" as opposed to relying on artifical ambience, depth and heavy EQ later.

It's all relative to the style, there's no doubt. I'd love to hear some of the stuff you've done.
    Is there a link somewhere? Or if not, you could email me an MP3.

Donnyair at neo dot rr dot com

--Donny
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1