P5 w/ E-mu 1616m

Author
psi777
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
2005/08/27 13:57:12 (permalink)

P5 w/ E-mu 1616m

anyone else here using this combination?

I have not had any luck with the Emu 1616m drivers under P5 v2. After profiling, it kinda works, but playback has crackling/static that comes and goes. Tried every tweak under Audio options I can think of, but everything seems to make it even worse.

Not really a big deal to me, since I run P5 ReWired into Sonar, and the Emu works fine there....but I'd still like to at least have the option of using P5 stand-alone.

Oddly, this is not the only time I've had driver issues w/ P5....my main DAW uses an RME Hammerfall, and I've never had very stable driver performance w/ P5 there either....again, mostly just use it ReWired, so I've never complained. Is P5 just generally a bit sketchy w/ audio interfaces? Do I just happen to own two that P5 does not get along with?

3 Replies Related Threads

jvanva
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: P5 w/ E-mu 1616m 2005/08/28 16:28:06 (permalink)
    I recently purchased the E-mu 1616. (No m). I believe the cardbus interface card is the same though. I've been using the card standalone since I am using mostly softsynths. I'm still quite a bit a noob wrt using this card.

So far, I've only gotten the crackling when stressing my system. When increasing the latency setting in the P5 Audio options dialog when using the WDM driver, the crackling disappears. I get the feeling you've tried this already.

Have you tried using the E-Mu ASIO driver instead?

As for the particulars about my setup, I am running a 1.7GHz Pentium M HP pavilion with 1G Ram.

jvanva

My reputation precedes me - otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments.
    psi777
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: P5 w/ E-mu 1616m 2005/08/28 20:29:06 (permalink)
    Have you tried using the E-Mu ASIO driver instead?

yeah, that's part of what I'm confused about...I do not see ASIO drivers available for the Emu in either Sonar or P5. At first I thought something screwy had happened w/ my installation....but then I noticed that in the Patchmix window, you can create an ASIO output bus...and that's how I've run the Emu under Cubase, and I was figuring that this was just how the Emu handled ASIO?

Are you saying that you have the option of running ASIO drivers under P5? If so, maybe something did go wrong w/ my install.
    jvanva
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: P5 w/ E-mu 1616m 2005/08/28 21:47:00 (permalink)
    I have the E-Mu ASIO option under P5 as long as I don't have ASIO4ALL installed. Then it disappears for P5 and sometimes Sonar.

Are you using ASIO4ALL at all? This seems to affect whether the Cakewalk apps can see the E-Mu ASIO driver or not (at least on my machine).

ASIO4ALL (ver 2.6) was installed when I originally installed the EMU drivers. From that point, the E-Mu ASIO drivers didn't appear in any of the cakewalk driver lists, although it did appear in Reason, Ableton Live, and Cubase SE. I then uninstalled ASIO4ALL and the E-Mu ASIO driver appeared for both Sonar and P5.

Renstalling ASIO4ALL causes the option to disappear in P5, though not alway so with Sonar. Go figure.... I would love for them to coexist so that I can use the ASIO4ALL driver with my laptops native soundcard when I don't have the E-Mu card plugged in.

There wasn't much to the E-Mu driver panel though. Just a dropdown for setting latency and an OK and Cancel button. However, I was able to run P5 and Sonar at lower latencies than the E-Mu WDM driver with it before being plagued by the crackles.

jvanva

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1