another mixer question

Author
sd9
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/08/31 14:05:58 (permalink)

another mixer question

my question is about adding a beghringer 1204 mixer, i have a dell dimension 2100 desktop it has sb live, i am planning on changing to a m audio 24/96 or a delta 44 not sure, can i use the mixer to mix and tweek the tracks that i record with mc2 before burning to a cd, if so what would be the chain of connections , i mainly use mc2 to record the session drummer along with my guitars,bass and vocals. i would likethe mixer because of the hands on control instead of the point and click version of mc. connections meaning mixer cp guitars and effects monitors etc. thank you Robert D

2 Replies Related Threads

the_guitarguru
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: another mixer question 2005/08/31 19:26:42 (permalink)
    You can mix outside the DAW, of course, though I wouldn't recommend it... more processing means more noise, usually, and while the Behringer mixers are actually quite sturdy little units, they (like most mixers) can add unwanted and unnecessary noise to your project... if you can stay in the digital world, I would recommend it...

But if you are a "hands on" kind of guy, and like the feel of faders, buttons, knobs and all that, you can use the mixer in a few ways - as a preamp/signal processor to record from, and a mixer/processor to put your final touches on your masterpiece.

Connections: Assign your tracks an output. Depending on the kind of card you get (I like the D-44 over the 2496), you will bring each output of the card to an input of the mixer (through RCA, 1/4" or whatever your soundcard needs to do its thing. Set your panning, fx, and such for each incoming track. You will bring the output of the mixer back to the soundcard (watch out for feedback loops) and mix the project down to 2-track, ready for mastering. You can monitor using the headphone out of the mixer or send an output to reference speakers, or whatever you are using. An effects unit can be externally hooked up using the aux send then return it to a channel on the mixer, or you can use the aux buses in MC to process fx.

That is a thumbnail sketch of the basic idea behind mixing wiht an external board - your configuration, equipment, taste and such will factor in, so don't take that as the only way it can or should be done - that is just how I would do it working with the info you gave... and even then, I might do it differently, depending on the project and mixing needs!

Hope it helps get you started though...

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: another mixer question 2005/08/31 22:54:30 (permalink)
    line out on the card to tape in on the mixer, main out on the mixer to line in on the card, depress the to mix button and waaLaa you can monitor the mix and inputs at the same time.

Attach the speakers to the control room out and the headphones to .. well you know
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1