Your Opinion on this Mic/Preamp combination with Acoustic Guitar

Author
skbass88
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2005/09/04 10:54:35 (permalink)

Your Opinion on this Mic/Preamp combination with Acoustic Guitar

I need to record a Guild 12 String Acoustic Guitar that has a solid Spruce top and Maple back and sides.
I have these mics and preamps:

BLUE Baby Bottle
SM57
Presonus Eureka (SS Single Channel)
ART DPSII (Tube Dual Channel)

How would you mic this guitar with this equipment?
I'm leaning toward using the Baby Bottle on the body of the guitar through the DPS II (to give it a little warmth, hopefully) and the SM57 at the neck/12th fret through the Eureka. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I, of course, will do some experimenting too.

Thanks in advance,
SK

"I want it Louder! More Power!
I'm gonna Rock ya till it strikes the hour!"

Sonar 4P
Delta 44
Reason 2.5
XP Pro
P4 2.4Ghz
1.5G RAM

4 Replies Related Threads

Qwerty69
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1435
    RE: Your Opinion on this Mic/Preamp combination with Acoustic Guitar 2005/09/05 05:51:42 (permalink)
    I would say you should look at the strengths of each mic and pre-amp choice.

Dynamic mics are supposed to give faster transient response than a large diaphragm condensor. That would mean it would be best used to pick up the part of the instrument most critical to variations in transient response - eg. the attack of a pick on the strings or the sound of fingers fretting. That would indicate you are best off getting it in close.

The downside of that theory is the large proximity effect on the SM57, (and most mics with a cardioid response pattern), means that you will get exaggerated bass response the closer you get to the sound source.

The baby bottle is a large diaphragm condensor - yes? That would mean it would give a good representation of the entire frequency spectrum, probably with some hype of the 5-8kHz+ areas. Worse transient response than the dynamic. This would indicate that it would be better capturing the entire picture of the performance, not just a specific section - a la the dynamic mic. I would find a nice sweet spot in a nice room somewhere about 12" - 24" out from the guitar, maybe about eye level, looking down at the guitar.

Either way, stick some headphones on, make someone else play the guitar and sweep the mics around to find the best position for both mics.

Exactly where you stick the mics will depend on the part itself - I currently like a M-S technique in a nice room for solo acoustic + vox. stuff or just a spaced pair configuration or even one mic "BBC mono" style if it is a strummed part sitting back in a mix. Each time I track a new song, I find I have to stick mics in new spots to capture the unique elements of the song. If it works, go for it -- just make sure that if you are using multiple mics, you should either get the diaphragms of each mic as close to each other as possible or three times the distance away from each other as they are from the sound source. If you don't, you will have phase shift issues with the recording.

As far as the pre-amps go, I would used the ART to drive the dynamic and the Eureka to drive the Bottle... Or whatever sounded good.

Ciao,

Q.
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Your Opinion on this Mic/Preamp combination with Acoustic Guitar 2005/09/05 14:23:56 (permalink)
    I would suggest experimenting to see which combination of mic>pre>placement works best for you and go with that.
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Your Opinion on this Mic/Preamp combination with Acoustic Guitar 2005/09/05 17:34:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: skbass88
    I'm leaning toward using the Baby Bottle on the body of the guitar through the DPS II (to give it a little warmth, hopefully) and the SM57 at the neck/12th fret through the Eureka.

As Chaz says, be prepared to experiment, but I'd say say that what you're thinking of is a good starting point. But heed also Qwerty's warning on the proximity effect. Qwerty's points are all good, helpful ones, but my inclination is to try a way of making two mikes work if you can - it can give you such a fuller, more rounded sound.

In particular, you want to keep each mike far enough from the guitar to minimise this proxinity effect, and far enough apart to avoid phase cancellation. I'd start by trying each about 9" from the guitar. Remember that it's easier to add warmth when you're mixing than it is to add air.
    post edited by glazfolk - 2005/09/05 17:45:05

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    Rigel Russell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Your Opinion on this Mic/Preamp combination with Acoustic Guitar 2005/09/09 18:46:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: skbass88

BLUE Baby Bottle
    SM57
    Presonus Eureka (SS Single Channel)
    ART DPSII (Tube Dual Channel)

My opinion:

Given your equipment, I'd probably go with just the BLUE about 10 in or so from the 12th fret, through the Eureka. But, as everybody says - experiment and see what works best for you. Position is very important, so move around the mic listening on the headphones until you find a sweet spot.

If it's a solo acoustic track, search for a fuller-sounding sweet spot with a nice low-end.

If it's an acoustic track as part of a full ensemble mix (ie. any other guitars, bass, keys?), then I've learned that it's best to resist the temptation to go for the bass-rich acoustic track - all that low-end will only get in the way when mixing with the other instruments, and you'll posting the question "why does my mix sound murky?". If you encounter this, try low-cut on the acoustic track(s).

Happy tracking!
    Rigel
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1