Sonar slow playback when record track 2

Author
madrigal84
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/09/07 12:45:28 (permalink)

Sonar slow playback when record track 2

I recently got Sonar 4 Producer Edition. I have a band and we want to record a guitar, my electric drum set, bass and vocals. How do I go about doing this while adding effects with Sonar. Additionally, whenever I try to play back something that I have recorded in Sonar, and while trying to record a second track, the playback is very slow. How could I fix this?

How can I add the session drummer to a guitar riff that I record?

Thank you very much

4 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Sonar slow playback when record track 2 2005/09/07 13:04:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: madrigal84

I recently got Sonar 4 Producer Edition. I have a band and we want to record a guitar, my electric drum set, bass and vocals. How do I go about doing this while adding effects with Sonar. Additionally, whenever I try to play back something that I have recorded in Sonar, and while trying to record a second track, the playback is very slow. How could I fix this?

Thank you very much

You can't add effects to what will be recorded. However, if you can get the latency down to a tolarable level you can use input monitoring and be able to hear any plugins you have in the effects bin of that track. Some sound cards have a software mixer that will let you hear what you are recording without latency but you don't get the effects till you play back.

The only thing I know of that would case playback to be slow is if you have a device with a digital interface (spdif, adat, etc) pluged into your sound card and making your sound card operate at a different clock rate. For example if you recorded other tracks at 48K and then a digital device forced the card to playback at 44.1. You can get the clock to match the sample rate of the project or simply use the analog inputs and not the digital one.

As for adding drums to a project you need to do that BEFORE you record your guitar parts, it's much easier that way to get the timeing right. You will need to play in time with the drum backing it will not "follow" you like a real drummer can (but shouldn't).
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Sonar slow playback when record track 2 2005/09/07 13:12:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: madrigal84

I recently got Sonar 4 Producer Edition. I have a band and we want to record a guitar, my electric drum set, bass and vocals. How do I go about doing this while adding effects with Sonar.

Add the effects to the individual tracks and use Input Monitoring - click the button that looks like [(((].

Additionally, whenever I try to play back something that I have recorded in Sonar, and while trying to record a second track, the playback is very slow. How could I fix this?

Go to Options...Audio and move the latency slider to the left.

Go to View...Synth Rack and add Cakewalk TTS. Click OK to accept the defaults. Click on the output of the MIDI track that is added to the project when you added the synth and choose New Drum Map. Change the output of the first Drum Map instrument to the audio track that was added to the project when you added the synth. Hold down Ctrl-Shift when setting the output and all instruments will be set at the same time. Right click on the MIDI track's effect bin and choose Session Drummer.
    madrigal84
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Sonar slow playback when record track 2 2005/09/07 14:03:37 (permalink)

Go to View...Synth Rack and add Cakewalk TTS. Click OK to accept the defaults. Click on the output of the MIDI track that is added to the project when you added the synth and choose New Drum Map. Change the output of the first Drum Map instrument to the audio track that was added to the project when you added the synth. Hold down Ctrl-Shift when setting the output and all instruments will be set at the same time. Right click on the MIDI track's effect bin and choose Session Drummer.

What would be the First Drum Map instrument?

This is what it looks like:
    CAKEWALK TTS-1 1 Output 1

CAKEWALK TTS-1-1
    OUT: 3-DM1-Alesis DM5 Latin Set
    Ch (DRUMP MAP)
    (DRUM MAP)
    (DRUM MAP)

Is this what you are referring to?

I am sorry I am pretty lost.

OHHEY,

I am plugging my guitar into my soundcard's MIC (LINE_IN) input.
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Sonar slow playback when record track 2 2005/09/07 19:17:13 (permalink)
    It's in the Drum Map Manager. It usually pops up when you initially set an output to a Drum Map. To get into it after the fact, click on the output of the MIDI track and choose Drum Map Manager.

* If the Cakewalk TTS is the only synth in the synth rack, the Drum Map Instruments should already be set to output to it. But it's always good to double-check.

Look up Drum Map in the help files.
    post edited by Kicker - 2005/09/07 19:24:34
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1