Cannot Record Some Cakewalk to CD

Author
rwelch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2005/09/10 12:16:07 (permalink)

Cannot Record Some Cakewalk to CD

OK this is weird. My two recent Cakewalk recording sessions are not burnable, either w/ Musicmatch or Windows Media Player. The CD is nothing but static w/ an almost inaudible hint of the guitar. I can however burn previously recorded songs! I can also LISTEN to the two on Cakewalk and Musicmatch. The burner on MM says that the burn was successful, when I try to burn it on Windows, I get "Audio Codec is needed" dialog box. Seems the Burner is OK, either MM is not functioning or Cakewalk export is missing something. I have bounced but to no avail. Any ideas? rwelch

5 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Cannot Record Some Cakewalk to CD 2005/09/11 02:04:56 (permalink)
    Are you bouncing to MP3? If so then maybe the MP3 is timed out on your system.

Give a little more detail about what your process of bouncing is. Also what levels are you getting on the meter in MC before the mix, and does the mixed down track play when soloed, in MC.
    rwelch
    RE: Cannot Record Some Cakewalk to CD 2005/09/11 11:43:29 (permalink)
    Robo, thanks for the reply. Mixing to WAV. Bounce proceedure, solo two tracks / file / bounce to track. New audio is inserted automatically and tracks appear in new audio track. These are acoustic guitar and vocal tracks only. Levels barely hit the red on occasion. Bounced version soloed will playback. ALSO: I checked audio codec in the device mgr. as well as all other hardware and all are "operating properly".

All I can figure, since songs recorded before Sept 7 can be burned, is that something happened in Cakewalk on that day (though all proceedures were normal). What do you think of trying to re-install MC and do I need to un-install first? rwelch
    post edited by rwelch - 2005/09/11 11:51:02
    Robomusic
    RE: Cannot Record Some Cakewalk to CD 2005/09/11 14:31:03 (permalink)
    Barely hitting ht ered is good, since the red indicates that you are clipping, and that is not good. keep all levels in the green and occasionally the yellow. use a master limiter or compression to raise the volume a bit.

Rather than solo the tracks, try muting the others. I have had some problems using solo, as it really means solo, not several.

I had the audio codex problem a while back, and Nero would not burn anthing, I downloaded a free burner from snapfiles.com, and used it for a few days and somehow it fixed itself. and now all is working again. I believe that the problem is a window thing, not a cakewalk thing. One thing to make sure of is that the files are wave and do not contain anything else. But From what you stated it was just two tracks of audio, and once bounced it should be okay. One question, is are the wave file 16bit or 24 bit, because WMP does not like 24 bit files and will not play them, so if you are recording in that mode then it can cause preblems.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2005/09/11 15:14:29
    rwelch
    RE: Cannot Record Some Cakewalk to CD 2005/09/11 15:07:34 (permalink)
    Now this puter is acting up! Anyway, 3rd try. I normally burn using mute and do not bounce. I have tried both with the two songs that won't burn and niether works. I do not have the Dell music set-up on line so will have to burn on this HP and upload another burner if I go that way. I still can't understand why the songs (last 2) will play on music match but and cakewalk but not on windows and will burn on niether. Will try some things, let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks for your help. rwelch
    Robomusic
    RE: Cannot Record Some Cakewalk to CD 2005/09/12 13:40:55 (permalink)
    I am confused now, earlier you stated you bounce to tracks, and now you just mute and burn?!?! That will never work, since the files will be in cakewalk format, and even though they are wave audio most music players and certainly almost all burners, if not ALL, can not read multitrack files, they need a stereo, 16 bit 44,100 htz file to burn, or read.

The way to accomplish that on Cake is to bounce the tracks to a single wave audio file and then mute all others and export that file to a separate folder. That way the file in the folder to burn is in the proper format.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1