Adjusting digital audio for a specific speaker

Author
Cablestein
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2005/09/12 14:26:12 (permalink)

Adjusting digital audio for a specific speaker

Is there anything you can do to a digital audio file to make it sound better on a given brand/model of speaker?

For example, if you make a WAV or MP3 ringtone for a specific mobile phone model... can you tweak the audio to sound better off that unique speaker, if you knew the brand/properties of that tiny speaker?

On a daily basis I do simple edits for audio files for mobile phone Java games. Generally the audio is MIDI, Wav or a proprietary ringtone format. Every device generally has it's own build of a game, so we are able to have specific files used for each device. I'd like to look into ways to make the audio sound better on a given device.

Could pitch be adjusted a certain way... or volume... etc etc. Do tiny speakers favor certain audio qualities, etc.

Thanks in adv!

5 Replies Related Threads

Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Adjusting digital audio for a specific speaker 2005/09/12 15:15:48 (permalink)
    Cablestein,

If you can get a graph or chart of the frequency response curve from the speaker's manufacturer, then all you have to do is set up an EQ plug-in with the same (or similar) curve. This ignores the effect that the enclosure (the device itself) will have on the speaker.

Perhaps a better alternative - especially if you will be dealing with many different models - is to pick up a reference microphone and testing software. The software generates sine waves at varying frequencies and measures the loudness of the frequency that is picked up by the calibrated microphone. This will give you the frequency response curve of the speaker and the enclosure.

I don't have any links for reference gear, but a quick google/froogle search ought to get you headed in the right direction.
    RAiN0707
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Adjusting digital audio for a specific speaker 2005/09/12 15:30:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kicker

Cablestein,

If you can get a graph or chart of the frequency response curve from the speaker's manufacturer, then all you have to do is set up an EQ plug-in with the same (or similar) curve.

Cable, just for clarity you would want to set up a curve that contradicts or that is in opposition to the speakers curve. That way it changes the frequency plot of the speaker to a flatter response. Think of it this way. You have a speaker that shows a +5 db spike at 8khz You wouldn't want to put your curve so that 8khz is boosted. You would want to EQ out and cut at 8khz. Otherwise you are just adding a crap load more of high end.
    post edited by RAiN0707 - 2005/09/12 15:38:23
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Adjusting digital audio for a specific speaker 2005/09/12 15:33:16 (permalink)
    I figure the devices are small enough that it is hopeless to try and coax 120hz and 8Khz out of them. So match the curve and use your ears!
    RAiN0707
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Adjusting digital audio for a specific speaker 2005/09/12 15:34:36 (permalink)
    Also, for what its worth, a freq plot or response plot for the speaker means very little. The speakers response is going to vary depending on the volume and by what frequencies are being emitted from it. Best bet is to take your material and make a ringtone out of it and find a way to test it first on a cell phone speaker. Otherwise its going to be a guessing game.
    Cablestein
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Adjusting digital audio for a specific speaker 2005/09/12 15:47:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses. This is all fascinating!

I've found this article which explains a lot.
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/131062.html

In purchasing a microphone, do I have to look for anything in particular?

Looking at software, this came up in a search: http://www.etfacoustic.com/index.html and there's 100's of apps that does this kind of stuff. Do something like Sonar have these kinds of testing capabilities?

RAiN0707: I have access to 1000's of mobile devices =). Trial-and-error is what I do if we have a problem. I'm just trying to look into the possibility of improving sounds in general. Heck maybe there's some magic solution that can improve sound across the board (a library of EQ settings for every device)... or maybe because the speakers are so small, there's nothing that can be improved upon.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1