Sonar 5 ... sidechain support?

Author
evan
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 394
2005/09/13 09:16:15 (permalink)

Sonar 5 ... sidechain support?

I find quite funny "sonar 5" topics These are my two cents; 5.0 and still no sidechain support?

10 Replies Related Threads

netstat
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/13 10:15:53 (permalink)
    I think the dave brown audio compressor offers sidechain support at a reasonable price.

I also think the original FX series of plugs from cake had a compressor with side chain support, not sure.

Could you not approximate the effects with some multiband compression?

Pretty much all I ever hear about people actually using sidechaining for is de-essing vocals and I am pretty sure there are some free tools for that purpose at kvr.

Of course, mic distance and angle will do a lot to rememdy excessssssssive ssssssssssybilance.

Mahalo, Jan
    billkath
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/13 11:05:32 (permalink)
    It's used for a lot more than that, Jan-especially in this Dance music Era. Making drum and bass pump, for instance, or for ducking background in TV and radio ads. Sure-I know you can use envelopes for the latter, but good compression with a sidechain has many very musical and rhythmic applications. It was on my wish-list for 5-along with the ability to bind a key to a specific effect. Neither made it to this version

Billy E
    HeartBeat Studios
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/13 11:43:51 (permalink)
    There are work-around-type things (including the old cakewalk fx compressor). db-audioware's quantum fx bundle ($250) allows 6 instances of side-chain per effect. But it does kind of suck that there's no native support for side-chain.

Pretty much all I ever hear about people actually using sidechaining for is de-essing vocals and I am pretty sure there are some free tools for that purpose at kvr.

There are a lot of creative uses for side-chain, and side-chained effects are pretty common in professional recording. As billkath pointed out, a common one in dance and hip-hop is to use the kick to duck the bass, so that the bass notes sound like the decay of the kick drum. You can also use a dry sound to duck the reverb send, which allows a clear, articulated sound with a full ambience that doesn't wash out. You can gate some white noise to the snare drum to increase the explosive sound of the snare hits. You can duck the prescence range of power guitars when the vocal comes in to keep the feeling of a "wall of guitar" but still allow the singer to come through. You can tighten up double-tracked parts by gating the "extra" tracks to the main track.

All of these things could be controlled in other ways, but then so could any gating, expansion, or compression effect. The advantage to having it as an effect is the ability to tweak it in real-time to get the feel right. Resorting to envelopes makes what could have been a 30-second adjustment turn into 20 minutes of drawing in envelopes or a painstaking fader-riding session. And even then, it doesn't have the same feel. Trying to get the bass and the kick drum to "lock in" together is the kind of thing that can really only be done by ear, I think.

Cheers.
    evan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/13 12:19:41 (permalink)
    Great post, Yep !

saturdaysaint
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/14 19:14:41 (permalink)
    So how could Cakewalk implement sidechaining? Since the envelopes in version 5 are so much more powerful, I wonder if version 6 could create envelope patterns from waveforms. If I understand sidechaining correctly, this would enable sidechaining on every parameter of every effect (and be a real innovation for Cakewalk).
    post edited by saturdaysaint - 2005/09/14 19:21:26
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/14 19:19:40 (permalink)
    they would implement it in their effects chain to allow routing of one track to be the
    controlling input of another track's Fx .. the Sonitus Fx would also have to change to
    allow setting of a side-chain input.

jeff
    saturdaysaint
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/14 19:39:45 (permalink)
    So every effect that utilized the feature would have to be designed for it?
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/15 00:01:11 (permalink)
    well .. not every effect would make use of it .. only those which modulate
    the signal based on amplitude or frequency make sense really. something like a delay wouldn't
    make sense to have a side-chain, same with EQ. vocoders almost make no sense without
    a side-chain .. and compressors greatly benefit from having one.
    jeff
    saturdaysaint
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/15 00:46:52 (permalink)
    The vocoder is interesting, because it seems like one of the few sidechainging effects that couldn't be accomplished with envelopes. Anyway, I'm still intrigued by putting sidechaining on any parameter (why not a bump in guitar tremolo whenever the Rhodes plays?), which is why I'm requesting that Sonar have the ability to generate detailed envelopes based upon waveforms (e.g. translate all the peaks, silences and everything in between into an envelope), with the ability to invert the envelope. If I'm not missing the point, I think this could cover all the usual compression/de-essing/gating/ducking applications, and also allow some cool unforseen applications of sidechaining with any effect parameter (and not just in Sonitus).
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Sonar 5 ... sidechain support? 2005/09/15 09:44:36 (permalink)
    An interesting thing I found out-- db-audioware's new(er) Quantum FX 2 bundle basically allows unlimited sidechain across any effect, from what I understand. Each effect supports up to six instances of sidechain, and you can basically build your own effects from scratch by assembling different modules. It looks pretty cool, and everything I've tried of db-audioware is great. No work-arounds, just plain old sidechain-- you load an effect onto two tracks, designate one as the sidechain and the other as the processed track, and there you have it.

Still wish sonar would do this, but it's good to know there's a top-notch effects bundle that will. And at about $250 for a ton of effects, it looks like a pretty good deal.

Cheers.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1