NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Hashbrown
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/14 18:07:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Steelhed
here's the chain of events, I hit a not on my Radium Keyboard, the sound goes into my soundcard, out my soundcard through my breakout box to a physical mixer and then to my headphones, It all works great that way, But its not making it to the sequencer for some reason..

Just to make sure, do you have any midi cables hooked up? You were only referring to sound there. Like someone else mentioned, when you hit a note on the keyboard, do you see the midi indicator light up (lower right corner of Sonar)? That will at least tell you if the midi signal is at least making it to Sonar.

Sonar 7.02PE, Wavelab6, BFD2.04, Kontakt2.3
RME Fireface 800
ADK Built:Intel Duo-Core 6700, 2.66 ghz/ D975XBX MB
TI TSB82AA2 FW Controller
4G DDR2-SDRAM/800mhz
80g(os)/320g SATA(audio)/320g SATA(samples)
Plextor PX-716A DVD/CD
4head gforce
T.S.
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 654
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/14 18:22:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: FwordNA

Got it thanks. I've also tried "omni." Should that be avoided as well?

Hi FwordNA,

If your just loading one instrument into K2 and trying to get it to work then omni is OK. However, once you get more instruments going yoou'll need to select different channels for each unless you want them all to sound and play together.

post edited by T.S. - 2005/09/14 18:29:52
FwordNA
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/14 19:10:56 (permalink)
aha... maybe that's the problem. i've been trying to get k2 to work with the violin ensemble. it has about nine instruments. are you saying i have to go into each of the tracks that appear in sonar when i insert k2 and make some sort of adjustment? sorry for being so f'n dumb.

Pentium, 2.4 Mhz, 1 GB RAM,
Windows XP Prof.
Edirol FA-66, Firecard 400
Sonar 4.04 Prod. Ed.

Steelhed
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/14 20:08:45 (permalink)
fwordNA, I dont think that counts as more than one instrument, even though it's an ensemble I think its still only one instrument.. I'm not at home right now so I cant try anything right now.. I cant recall looking at the midi indicator, The keyboard I'm using is midi, USB.. I've done my best to make sure the midi channels corresponded so I don't think thats it.. I used to use gigasampler and it uses this endless wave midi trick that works well, But I fell in love with Kontakt so here I am... I did get two extra PC's today given to me, But I still would like to solve this mystery in the meantime, I cant' stand giving up, I don't like not solving the problem, good and bad trait..LoL I was trying to take screenshots and host them cause a picture is worth a thousand words, But fraps wont allow me to, So i'm gonna try and get another screenshot recorder so I can post them to make you guys help us easier.. Like I said, Thanks soooo much for your interest in helping me, I'm probably gonna kick myself in the butt when I get it figured out...LoL
T.S.
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 654
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/14 20:11:43 (permalink)
Yes FwordNA,

You should have one and only one midi track in Sonar that coresponds to each instrument in K2 (unless you have a specific reason to do so). You need to make sure each instrument in K2 has it's own seperate midi channel under "Port-A".

If you have 9 instruments in K2 and want to use all of them then you need 9 seperate midi tracks in Sonar to play each one back. In Sonar you need to make sure the output of each misi track is set to Kontakt-2 and then set the coresponding midi channel to go to the appropriate instrument in K2.

T.S.
FwordNA
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/15 11:43:22 (permalink)
I had no time yesterday to visit my daw. But I'm feeling less isolated knowing that (i) someone else is having the same problem, and (ii) actually cares, as evidenced by your thoughtful responses. Thank you!

Windows XP Prof.
Sonar 4.04 Prod. Ed.

FwordNA
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/15 11:48:56 (permalink)
TS, thank you for your info. I'm going to try all these suggestions first chance I get. Steelhed may be posting some screen shots that should help the discussion along. The layering of K2 over Sonar 4, for me at least, greatly expands the complexity of the input output configuration (kind of analogous with the way 3-D chess complicates basic chess) and, sadly, neither K2 nor Sonar 4 has elected to address these complications in their manual. And so this forum becomes a sky hook, deus ex machina, that can perhaps pull some of us having problems out of the abyss.

Windows XP Prof.
Sonar 4.04 Prod. Ed.

bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/15 11:55:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Steelhed

fwordNA, I dont think that counts as more than one instrument, even though it's an ensemble I think its still only one instrument.. I'm not at home right now so I cant try anything right now.. I cant recall looking at the midi indicator, The keyboard I'm using is midi, USB.. I've done my best to make sure the midi channels corresponded so I don't think thats it.. I used to use gigasampler and it uses this endless wave midi trick that works well, But I fell in love with Kontakt so here I am... I did get two extra PC's today given to me, But I still would like to solve this mystery in the meantime, I cant' stand giving up, I don't like not solving the problem, good and bad trait..LoL I was trying to take screenshots and host them cause a picture is worth a thousand words, But fraps wont allow me to, So i'm gonna try and get another screenshot recorder so I can post them to make you guys help us easier.. Like I said, Thanks soooo much for your interest in helping me, I'm probably gonna kick myself in the butt when I get it figured out...LoL

I think as you heard the sounds but could not record them, go back to one of my previous suggestions.

Theory:

Logic tells me you don't even need a VST to record Midi notes, just a midi track and a working midi keyboard set to record notes on the midi track. this would produce no sound,

Your situation.

If you are hearing sound when playing the keyboard then the vst is working (assuming you inserted it into sonar audio track and midi track).

Now forget about Konkrapt fo now, lets just get a VST working

Insert VST for Ederiol VSC or TTS-1

It will give you an audio track and a midi track play the keyboard , do you hear sound...great ! now in the midi track that was generated click on the R button then press the record button on the transport...now play your keyboard...does it record notes in the midi track (nothing gets recorded in the audio track which is correct).

If all is hunky dory and working the same should be possible with Konkrapt. I guess it's a case of sitting with the Konkrapt manual.

Good luck

Yes.
MysticMizer
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/15 19:55:04 (permalink)
I havent seen this mentioned yet so I thought I'd throw this out there.

I have a hunch that what you may be doing is previewing the samples but not truly loading them which is why you hear them in Kontakt but not in Sonar.

Try this;

First set your controller to "omni out" temporariliy so we can ensure that Kontakt is listening for any and all channels.

Next browse a sample in Kontakt and click on it. It will appear to load, and the instrument name will appear with a wrench next to it. What you have actually done here is cue'd up the sample bank not the samples themselves

Click on the wrench. Now in the panel just below the instrument name on the right, you will see a "purge" icon, and a dropdown arrow next to it. Below will be three bars. If the bar on the left is red, your sample is cue'd in a bank, but not truly loaded.

Choose "re-load all samples" from the drop-down, and if my hunch is right you should be all set. A green light should appear meaning your sample is locked and loaded.

If the green light is on but still nopsound is heard max the volume on the channel and hold the note for a while (some of these samples have very sloooow attack times.

Hope that helps

post edited by MysticMizer - 2005/09/15 20:04:36

NEVERODDOREVEN
FwordNA
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 11:48:54 (permalink)
Wow, I hope that works. I will send you 12 tons of positive karma if it does. You get one ton just for trying to help. Thank you Mystic Mizer. BTW, that is an intriguing moniker, with all sorts of resonances and meanings.

Windows XP Prof.
Sonar 4.04 Prod. Ed.

FwordNA
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 12:10:30 (permalink)
darn... I tried it. I have the green light but no sound. I have the input in sonar set to omni. the output in sonar is K2. In K2, below the instrument name, I have output set to st. 1 and the midi channel set to omni. The green light under the purge button is green (the one on the right; the other two adjacent retangular buttons are unlighted). No sound. But the midi ch icon is flashing to let me know its getting a midi signal -- I guess that's what the flashing means. Ok, now I'm official exasperated.

Windows XP Prof.
Sonar 4.04 Prod. Ed.

MysticMizer
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 12:28:07 (permalink)
Ok Stay calm....you are almost there, a couple thing might be causing this.

First thing you want to check is the output of the channel at the bottom of the K2 screen. When you play your controller make sure that there is signal going to the channel.

Also remember that some of these samples only play on certain zones on your controller....so if you are using a keyboard play all of the keys and hold them down for a bit...as I mentioned some of the samples have ridiculously slow attack rates.

If you see a signal and still have no sound, then my guess would be that you are operating on incompatible frequenies.

Open a new project in Sonar and set it to 16/44 khz and set K2 for the same. I'm not in front of my DAW right now so I can't walk you through exactly how to do that, but I'm willing to bet this is where the problem lies.

PS Oh and I just caught something else...you said the input to Sonar is set to OMNI but what you need to do is make sure your controller is transmitting on all channels, and as a poster mentioned previously that K2 is listening to the channels on port "A"

post edited by MysticMizer - 2005/09/16 12:40:39

NEVERODDOREVEN
FwordNA
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 15:54:21 (permalink)
make sure your controller is transmitting on all channels, and as a poster mentioned previously that K2 is listening to the channels on port "A"

Thank you. When you mention my "controller", are you referring to sonar or k2? also, in case this matters, I've opened a midi file in sonar, I'm not playing or recording a midi device through (into?) my daw.

Windows XP Prof.
Sonar 4.04 Prod. Ed.

MysticMizer
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 16:13:04 (permalink)
Thank you. When you mention my "controller", are you referring to sonar or k2? also, in case this matters, I've opened a midi file in sonar, I'm not playing or recording a midi device through (into?) my daw.

Ok yes in that case setting the output in sonar to omni should do the trick.

Try transposing the clip up and down in octaves it may be playing in an octave that is out of range of the sample.

Also make sure the bit rate and frequencies are the same in both
programs.

NEVERODDOREVEN
MysticMizer
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 16:21:48 (permalink)
Fword, if it still doesn't work, what I'll do (when I get home) is load a K2 track from absolute ground zero, record the steps I took and post them here.
In this way we should be able to isloate where the proccess is failing for you because I'll know exactly how you are configured (at least as far as the software goes)
post edited by MysticMizer - 2005/09/16 16:29:19

NEVERODDOREVEN
FwordNA
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 17:02:22 (permalink)
mysticmizer, per your suggestion, I loaded the instruments by way of drag and drop rather than the load menu and got the sounds to work. At this point, I'd like to send you the balance of 11 tons of positive karma, to thank you, and to credit cw for hosting this dialog. I now wonder was I wrong to assume that instruments can be loaded via the load button or elso the load button is messed up. be this as it may, i shall henceforth load instruments by way of the browser. thank you again. if ever i can help you with anything, pls do not hesitate to ask. all the best!

Windows XP Prof.
Sonar 4.04 Prod. Ed.

MysticMizer
RE: NEED HELP BADLY!!KONTAKT2 and SONAR3 2005/09/16 18:32:46 (permalink)
Happy to help. Have fun..it's a fine peice of software.

NEVERODDOREVEN
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1