Strange MIDI data generated when soloing a track

Author
sixandeightstringer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2005/09/15 10:39:05 (permalink)

Strange MIDI data generated when soloing a track

The latest "weirdness" in my ongoing fight with SONAR 4:

When I solo a track - ANY track (midi or audio) - the program generates wacky MIDI messages to port two, where I have a Roland JV1010 hooked up... I get a very low sustained piano note (possibly the bottom note) and a repeating pizzicato "plink" on a very HIGH piano note (possibly the highest note). As soon as I un-solo the track, it stops. I solo it again, it repeats. I turn off the JV-1010, I can still see the midi activity on my interface. I disconnected all Midi inputs to make sure something wasn't generating some errant data, it persisted. It's gotta be the program, and it's infuriating.

I didn't have ANY midi problems before I applied the most recent patch, but I don't know whether it's coincidence or not. I dunno if I'm going to have to reinstall or what, but it's a real PIA because this installation is only about 2 months old.

Anyone seen behavior like this before?

(Cakewalk SONAR 4 Producer, Windows 2000, Pentium 4 2.6ghz w/1.5 GB RAM, many plugins, etc.)

5 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Strange MIDI data generated when soloing a track 2005/09/15 10:52:09 (permalink)
    Could it be the metronome sending midi messages?

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Strange MIDI data generated when soloing a track 2005/09/15 17:03:19 (permalink)
    Hi Mark:
    This problem occur with another projects (songs) also or only in a specific project?
    Try to create a new empty project, record any MIDI notes in two or three MIDI tracks, record two or three audio tracks and see if the problem still present.
    If the problem persist, repeat the test using a different template. I already had MIDI problems (different of the yours) which I did discover was related with a corrupted template (or bad designed, I don´t know).
    Please post the result.
    Good luck.

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

sixandeightstringer
    RE: Strange MIDI data generated when soloing a track 2005/09/15 17:20:08 (permalink)
    I haven't created any new templates, and the problem exists in all of my current files. I don't recall opening a new file to see if the problem exists there.
    sixandeightstringer
    RE: Strange MIDI data generated when soloing a track 2005/09/15 17:24:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: torhan

Could it be the metronome sending midi messages?

I suppose it could, but while the very high notes are "metronome-like" the low sustained note really isn't. Plus, I have the metronome off and directed to a different port, and the midi data occurs whether the song is "running" or not.
    juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Strange MIDI data generated when soloing a track 2005/09/15 18:40:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sixandeightstringer

I haven't created any new templates, and the problem exists in all of my current files. I don't recall opening a new file to see if the problem exists there.

Mark:
    I wasn´t talking about new templates you had created. For a test, open a blank template, insert MIDI and audio tracks, record MIDI and audio events and see if you still having problems. I know it´s a shot in the dark, but in any situations this can take you in a solution direction.
    Other test you can to make is to download the program named Midi-OX here and to verify what is the messages which are being sent to your MIDI Interface.
    I believe if you make more detailed tests you´ll discover the source of your problems.
    Good luck!

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1