Help with MIDI drums

Author
Jack Ludden
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2005/09/15 12:34:44 (permalink)

Help with MIDI drums

i'm having a tough time figuring out how to make MIDI drums. i have sonar 4 PE and an M-Audio delta 192. i have no hardware midi devices at the moment, but im sure it's still possible to create midi drum tracks using the softsynths. however, i cant seem to figure out how to get the midi drums to play back out of my speakers, which are coming directly out of one of the outputs on the card. i can create the drum maps okay, but im getting no playback. i assume it's just a matter of setting the up the midi track correctly - with the right ins and outs and possibly a couple other settings in the drum map. can anyone give me some guidance?

4 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Help with MIDI drums 2005/09/15 12:36:18 (permalink)
    Have a look if you have chosen midi channel 10 for the drum tracks. That's usually standard.
    Jack Ludden
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Help with MIDI drums 2005/09/15 12:38:25 (permalink)
    where do i select that? i'm pretty much completely new to sonar and to midi, so assume i know nothing :P

WFTurner
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Help with MIDI drums 2005/09/15 12:45:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jack Ludden

where do i select that? i'm pretty much completely new to sonar and to midi, so assume i know nothing :P

Most technical writers assume that when they write manuals. I'd start there it covers all the basics.

William F. Turner
    songwriter
    My Music

Craig Anderton's SSS
    My other favorite forum
    torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Help with MIDI drums 2005/09/15 13:08:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jack Ludden

i'm having a tough time figuring out how to make MIDI drums. i have sonar 4 PE and an M-Audio delta 192. i have no hardware midi devices at the moment, but im sure it's still possible to create midi drum tracks using the softsynths. however, i cant seem to figure out how to get the midi drums to play back out of my speakers, which are coming directly out of one of the outputs on the card. i can create the drum maps okay, but im getting no playback. i assume it's just a matter of setting the up the midi track correctly - with the right ins and outs and possibly a couple other settings in the drum map. can anyone give me some guidance?

Like stated before, check the manual on using Soft Synths. Then try to use the "pattern brush" in the Piano Roll View -- it's an quick and easy way to create basic drum tracks.

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1