Automation and VST and...

Author
mickefromhell
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2005/09/15 16:57:50 (permalink)

Automation and VST and...

I have reacently started to take a closer look at Sonar as an PC alternative to Logic. I have tried Cubase SX but found it very dissapointing.

Now the things I miss in Sonar from Logic is not very dramatic but anyway... it would be nice to have them in Sonar aswell...

First... When I draw an automation envelope of the ratio of a compressor for example. The values you see when drawing the envelope are 0.0 to 1.0, instead of 1:1 to inf:1 which it should be for the ratio. Will this be fixed in the fifth version, or is it a way to display the correct values allready?

Secondly... In Logic you use "Audio Instruments tracks" when using DX and VST-instruments. In both Cubase SX and Sonar you have to use one miditrack and one instrumenttrack. Why??? You really work much faster with everything on the same track. VST- and DX-instruments have nothing to do with MIDI exept for the MIDI-keyboard. And using CC (Control Change) on a software synthesizer seems kind of stupid. Ideally would be to skip MIDI and Audio tracks and replace them with just Tracks that handles both MIDI, Audio and software synthesizers in one and the same track.

Opinions and tips are welcome.

6 Replies Related Threads

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Automation and VST and... 2005/09/15 19:35:28 (permalink)
    In both Cubase SX and Sonar you have to use one miditrack and one instrumenttrack. Why???

Because you may want to put one or more track FX on each: e.g. arppegiator on the MIDI track and e.g. EQ, a flanger plus a little reverb and tape sim on the audio track.

loop

mickefromhell
    RE: Automation and VST and... 2005/09/16 02:45:19 (permalink)

Because you may want to put one or more track FX on each: e.g. arppegiator on the MIDI track and e.g. EQ, a flanger plus a little reverb and tape sim on the audio track.

That doesn't make sence... You should be able to do that on one track only...
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Automation and VST and... 2005/09/16 03:03:00 (permalink)
    That doesn't make sence... You should be able to do that on one track only...

To me it makes a lot of sense, I like to have as much transparency and control as possible. Mixing MIDI FX and audio FX on the same track is too cluttered, IMHO.

If you feel so strongly about one minor feature, maybe you should look elsewhere for a solution more to your liking.

loop

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Automation and VST and... 2005/09/16 05:10:35 (permalink)
    The enevelopes curves are plotted in 0.0 to 1.0 meaning 0% parameter applied (the lowest parameter value) applied to 100% (The highest parameter value applied). The envelopes definitions are baseed on automation data coming from the plugin which shows which parameter you can control but no information as to what these parameters are in terms of absolute values. The way I workaround that is I open the plugin on top of the envelope and move the envelope viewing the value being set on the plugin window, so you move it around until you match the value you wanted shown in the plugin window.

WRT your second question my feeling is that by having separate midi tracks and audio tracks leads to have more flexibility on how you would like to route your midi data on your vst instrument and how to configure the different synth audio outputs back in Sonar.
    mickefromhell
    RE: Automation and VST and... 2005/09/16 14:40:48 (permalink)
    Well I don't know if anyone of you have any experience of Logic but it's very nice to have the MIDI-data (notes) and automation of the instrument in the same track. And assigning CC to instrument parameters is a hazzle you don't need.

That's a minus in my opinion and if you've worked with Logic than you know what I mean...
    attalus
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1687
    RE: Automation and VST and... 2005/09/16 16:07:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mickefromhell

Well I don't know if anyone of you have any experience of Logic but it's very nice to have the MIDI-data (notes) and automation of the instrument in the same track. And assigning CC to instrument parameters is a hazzle you don't need.

That's a minus in my opinion and if you've worked with Logic than you know what I mean...

I think midi data and audio automation can be placed on the same viewing screen in the new Sonar 5, here's the link to read about it- http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/sonar/Upgrade/new.asp
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1