midi keyboard into dxi synth

Author
gatopolitico
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2005/09/17 02:02:58 (permalink)

midi keyboard into dxi synth

i inserted a synth with a midi source track and output track to the synth. i can record midi into the source track but, i can't hear the synth when i'm recording. when i play back the midi recording i can hear the synth, so why can't i hear it when recording?

13 Replies Related Threads

Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/17 02:38:17 (permalink)
    <deleted by the poster>
    post edited by Junski - 2006/01/14 03:30:50

gatopolitico
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/17 10:30:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Junski

Not nuch information there Junski

well, i thought by saying that i could hear playback and that i could record midi that this was enuf info, i don't know what else to say. midi connections are correct as are tracks. anyway. i have psyle and i have no trouble playing/hearing the same plugins on it.

so what do you mean by "set "on" (is your sound system capable for) monitoring while recording?" i didn't know that was a separate setting.
    gatopolitico
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 09:57:53 (permalink)
    what i found in help file:
    >When you play your MIDI controller you should hear the DXi through your sound card's outputs. If you don't, make sure you're >playing in the right range...

no problem, the synth plays the full range

>...a bank, patch, and Channel are selected; your monitor speakers or headphones are turned up;

done. i can step edit midi and hear the synth on playback

>...your controller is attached to your MIDI interface;

done. i can record midi and play it back (just can't hear the synth when recording)

<...and that none of the relevant tracks are muted.

done!

i've been thru this several times to no avail. what else is there??

anyone else ever have this problem?
    dreamkeeper
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 10:37:06 (permalink)
    so what do you mean by "set "on" (is your sound system capable for) monitoring while recording?"

I guess Junski was referring to direct monitoring, but that would apply only to audio in, not to MIDI and softsynths.

That's strange. I think we should try to narrow it down some more, so here are some thoughts/questions:

- What DXi are you using?
    - Do you have a VST version of it? Tried that?
    - Does it happen with other synths as well?
    - Do you hear the synth when playing your controller without recording?
    - Do you hear the synth when hitting the keys in Piano Roll View?
    - Loop recording? Auto Punch? Record options? Tried all combinations thereof?
    - What version of Sonar?

If nothing helps, I'd try a complete re-install of Sonar. Better save your plug-in presets before that.

werner
    gatopolitico
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 11:24:30 (permalink)
    hey werner,
    thx for responding, this really has me frustrated.

- What DXi are you using?
    no matter what sofsynth i use i get no sound. i've tried it with several, even those included with sonar. so, i don't think it's to do with any one in particular.

- Do you have a VST version of it? Tried that?
    i know what you're asking, but i thought sonar does a sort of adaptation of vst's to dxi when they are installed. (i'm new to all this) so, how do i try this?

- Do you hear the synth when playing your controller without recording?
    no.

- Do you hear the synth when hitting the keys in Piano Roll View?
    well, i do in the staff view. that's how i've been entering midi. if i hear the synth when clicking in staff view i'm sure i'll get it in piano roll. (i'm writing this on my laptop) this is what's really confusing, it works everywhere else.

- Loop recording? Auto Punch? Record options? Tried all combinations thereof?
    tried loop recording, no sound. will try auto punch. what do you mean by "record options?"

- What version of Sonar?

i'll wait for your response before re-installing. ;-)
    dreamkeeper
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 13:15:40 (permalink)
    i know what you're asking, but i thought sonar does a sort of adaptation of vst's to dxi when they are installed. (i'm new to all this) so, how do i try this?

Sorry, I somehow thought you were using a native DXi of your synth. So you're talking about a wrapped VSTi anyway. So no option here, oh well...

By "record options" I meant overwrite or sound on sound (Record toolbar). These are settings which normally shouldn't have such an effect, but my guess was that there's somewhere a bug which manifests only with a specific combination.

Anyway, as it happens with other synths too, there's something seriously screwed. Maybe one file of the Sonar installation got corrupted. So, if nobody else has an idea what's the culprit here, I'd recommend a re-install. Don't forget to backup. And try before you install the patches one at a time to find out if there's a bug in one of the updates. Good luck!

werner
    Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 14:09:10 (permalink)
    <deleted by the poster>
    post edited by Junski - 2006/01/14 03:31:04

Groove1962
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 15:10:16 (permalink)
    Do you have softsynth "Echo" activated on the appropriate record channel(s)? If it's not being echoed you won't necessarily hear it while recording unless it is the active track... which it won't be if your active track is the midi channel. Toggle the DXI audio track echo to On (instead of auto) and you should hear it even while recording.
    dreamkeeper
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 16:19:35 (permalink)
    Groove1962:
    Toggle the DXI audio track echo to On (instead of auto) and you should hear it even while recording.

DXi audio tracks have no "Input Echo" button! What you said applies only to recording external audio.

EDIT: wrong criticism on Junski's post deleted.
    post edited by dreamkeeper - 2005/09/18 21:15:38
    Groove1962
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 16:36:44 (permalink)
    woops... sorry, i'm not in the studio right now and i was trying to go from memory...
    gatopolitico
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 20:15:13 (permalink)
    hey we got it. ECHO DID IT! (no mention of that in the synth setup guide of the help file). i can now hear the synth during record and otherwise.

right now all i have on the midi track is "input=edirol um-1" and "output=synth" and echo on. that's it. no midi bank, channel or patch.

i turned echo on at one point to see if this was it and i got nothing. i don't remember what the other settings were at the time, but i gave up on it being the cause. anyway, all's fine now

thx all!
    post edited by gatopolitico - 2005/09/18 20:27:12
    dreamkeeper
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 21:05:39 (permalink)
    Glad you got it!

Obviously I was wrong on this:
    "Input Echo" on MIDI tracks only determines whether or not the track receives data.

I was under the wrong impression that you can only record on tracks with "input echo" enabled. Sorry for misleading and apologies to Junski, I'll edit it out.

You must have had another MIDI track selected, so "input echo" was enabled on that one ("auto" setting). Also this track's output must have been set to a different output, maybe a muted synth or a blank drum map. On playback "input echo" has no effect, so you could hear what you had recorded.
    gatopolitico
    RE: midi keyboard into dxi synth 2005/09/18 22:37:10 (permalink)
    werner,
    i'll tell you what, i still don't really get what this echo business really means other than it allows me to hear the synth when improvising and recording. i'm kinda braindead after 2 weeks of learning sonar for the first time. i'll think about it someday when i'm bored. ha!
    post edited by gatopolitico - 2005/09/18 22:49:55
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1