Sampled/Synth Drums

Author
Jack Ludden
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2005/09/17 09:13:42 (permalink)

Sampled/Synth Drums

I've sort of been tip-toeing around my real question in these forums asking about DXi's and midi and the like, but I still haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. What I need is a program or plug-in on which I can make good sounding drum tracks suitable for a folk/rock style (as heard on my signature link). I'd of course prefer freeware, but im willing to pony up the dough if that's what I need to do to get some nice selection in synth/sample realistic sounding drums. Most of the programs/plug-ins i've tried have 1 or 2 drum patch kits that sound like real drums, but they won't be quite what i'm looking for, and the rest are just ridiculous/techno-y synth drums. I'd just record some real drums, but I'm not quite good enough at them yet for me to want them on my recordings. Can anyone point me in the direction of some software that I could really use?

1 Reply Related Threads

kfischer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 452
    RE: Sampled/Synth Drums 2005/09/17 14:44:50 (permalink)
    Great topic.

DR008 is a nice product. It uses midi triggers against kits. For a few bucks you can buy tons of kits from DR008. The demo that comes with Sonar has just a sampling of the kits.

BFD drums http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BFD/ gets high praise among some around here. It's not cheap, but suppossed to be the bees knees for your kind of thing.

Steinberg's Groove Agent is a similar product.

Personally, I'm a loop guy. I find that good loops have more punch and realism than midi triggered tracks, though you certainly give up some flexibility. In the loop world I've become a big fan of Drums On Demand. If you click on just about anything in my signature, the tracks you hear will be powered by drums on demand.

Good luck.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1