How's GINA3D stack up?

Author
kmcintyre
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2005/09/17 20:33:17 (permalink)

How's GINA3D stack up?

I thinking of ditching my Audigy2ex and going with a Gina3d. (I want the GSIF2 driver so I can use GigaStudio3 plus I'd like lower latency...)

How's the Gina stack up against other products? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, does it make sense to keep a SoundBlaster in the box for CD/DVD hookups, playing standard midi files via WMP or RealPlayer, etc? I spent money on 64K Soundfonts that sound pretty good with BIAB, Jammer, etc. I don't want to loose the hardware synth capability (I think)... I can't see running Virtual SoundCanvas (or another software synth) every time I want to run a midi-centric app.

Is it typical to jumper audio outs from the DA unit into an internal soundcard so a single mixer app can be used to route audio to the monitors? With two sound cards it would seem like a necessary evil...

Thanks for the info

1 Reply Related Threads

DSandberg
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: How's GINA3D stack up? 2005/09/17 21:18:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kmcintyre
    Does it make sense to keep a SoundBlaster in the box for CD/DVD hookups, playing standard midi files via WMP or RealPlayer, etc?

I've been doing that for a while now (for several years with an SB Live + Gina 24/96 combo, and these days with Realtek audio and the same Gina 24/96). Since I only have the one system which gets used for a raft of different purposes, I use the consumer card for Windows sounds, DirectX gaming, etc., and use the Gina exclusively for pro sound applications (Sonar/Wavelab). One nice thing you didn't mention is that, by doing this, you don't have to disable Windows sounds when you are working in Sonar, because Windows uses a completely separate sound card (as long as you set up the SB as the preferred device and tell Windows to "only use preferred devices" in the Control Panel). If Windows was sharing the same soundcard, a Windows sound could cause the sample rate/depth to change and generally screw things up for Sonar.

Is it typical to jumper audio outs from the DA unit into an internal soundcard so a single mixer app can be used to route audio to the monitors? With two sound cards it would seem like a necessary evil...

That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me ... especially taking the output from the pro unit and putting it into the SB as you're apparently suggesting, as the SB would reduce the quality of the overall output due to internal processing (from what I understand, it is not possible to pass a signal through an SB card completely unprocessed, regardless of the card's settings). Instead, what I do is to feed both of my cards into an external mixer (a Mackie CR1604-VLZ in my case), with the Gina on regular channels and the consumer card on an aux channel that is set to feed to the control room outputs ONLY, so any sounds from the consumer card (i.e., Windows bleeps, etc.) will never make it into an external mix. This isn't as important anymore now that I'm mixing internally on the DAW rather than to an external mixing deck, but it still is helpful if I happen to be dumping a song in progress to a cassette tape as a reference or anything like that.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1