Author
fastnbulbous
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2005/09/18 23:14:22 (permalink)

moving Audio Data to new F drive

ok, hi

haven't been here in awhile.

i recently got a new F drive and i was in the process of moving all my Cakewalk files to it.

i saved them as .buns, moved them to the F drive no problem.

but since bundles take way too long open i started saving them as .wrk files after i had viewed or edited them a bit. i didn't realize that the audio data was being saved back onto my C drive!!

ahhh!!! how do i clean up this mess??

can i just move the entire Cakewalk folder?

8 Replies Related Threads

millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/19 00:53:06 (permalink)
    As you have found out - By default, Music Creator stores audio data separately from the rest of your projects, as wave files placed into a special folder called the Global Audio Folder, the location of which is listed in the Global Audio Folder field on the Audio Data tab in the Global Options dialog.

Here's what to do:

[In Music Creator:] Check Options – Global – Audio Data. There you will find where your audio files are currently being saved. [If you didn’t know.]

Move these files to the F: drive in a folder something like ” F:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data – [or whatever you prefer.]

[In Music Creator Again:] Go back to Options – Global – Audio Data – Just change the “Global Audio Folder” folder location to your F: drive location, or use the three dots [ … ] to browse to the location.

Now Music Creator should know where to find your files.
    fastnbulbous
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/19 19:26:14 (permalink)
    ahh, so saving bundles to the F drive was a waste of time after all. i should've known.

anyway, thanks! i got it, but it was a little different than how you described.

just for archive purposes, here's how i did it:

-- Global Options didn't give me an option for Audio Data, it only had WRK/MIDI/BUN save directory, templates, window layouts, video files and wave files save directories.
    i set the save folder for cakewalk projects to my F drive.

-- the Audio Data save folder default settings was in Options-Audio under the Advanced tab.
    i set the Data directory to my F drive, found no reason to move the picture cache so left it on my c-drive for now.

-- then i just moved the Audio Data folder and project files to my F drive.

:) done. thanks.
    millerbill
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/19 21:03:45 (permalink)
    I am always amazed how many different way Cakewalk can find to redesign the same basic program.

What version of MC are you running, so folks with similar can use your method. Mine was for Music Creator 2.
    fastnbulbous
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/19 22:48:27 (permalink)
    it appears to be MC v.1

but ack!! i've got another problem...

everything seemed to be fine until i started playing back the files. they play for about 1 second maximum and then they drop out.

this is probably a no-brainer but i'm going to bed in a second and don't have to time to figure it out...
    millerbill
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/20 00:39:58 (permalink)
    Please don't tell us that you have an AC 97 soundcard or a a SoundMax.

There are another one or two cards that also seem to have this problem, but I don't remember who. Try using MME drivers if it continues; but I don't know of many people who have solved this issue.
    Fandango
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/20 22:10:12 (permalink)
    Hi fastnbulbous, I ran into the same situation last year. Turns out that I moved my audio folder to a hard drive that wasn't performing up to par with the orginal. it was either the RPM, ATA or cache, I can't recall exactly... Anyway, you might want to take a look at the stats for both drives to see if they are compatible. It's also possible that there might be a problem with your new "F" Drive (hopefully not).

-Fandango
    millerbill
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/21 00:59:16 (permalink)
    Cakewalk has these suggestions for audio that suddenly stops. - [note: music creeator is basically Sonar 1.]
    Audio has Unexpectedly Dropped Out

The information in this article applies to:

SONAR 4 Producer Edition
    SONAR 4 Studio Edition
    SONAR 3 Producer Edition
    SONAR 3 Studio Edition
    SONAR 2
    SONAR 1
    SONAR Home Studio Version 4

If SONAR suddenly stops producing audio during recording or playback followed by the appearance of a red dropout indicator light, you've very likely experienced a dropout. Sometimes instead of a dropout, you may experience a stutter during playback (a small section of audio repeats itself once or twice before normal playback resumes). Or, you may occasionally experience a glitch or pop during audio playback (a brief interruption or clicking noise is heard, but audio playback then continues normally from that point).
    Eliminating Dropouts

Complete all the steps listed in the SONAR Help file under the category Dropouts and Other Audio Problems.

There may be a bad setting in the AUD.INI file. Try one of the following methods:
    Easy Method - Close SONAR and delete the AUD.INI file from the SONAR folder. After restarting SONAR you may need to point the app to your WaveData folder. (Options | Audio | Advanced Tab | Data Directory field)

Advanced Method - Close SONAR. Open SONAR's AUD.INI file in Notepad. Delete everything listed beneath the line PictureDir=C:\Cakewalk Projects\Picture Cache. Save the file and restart SONAR.

Go to Options | Audio | General and move the Latency slider toward the Safe setting.

Click on the Advanced tab and set the I/O Buffer Size to 256.

Open a file that has this problem and run the Tools | Compact Audio Data command.

Make sure nothing else is running while SONAR is open. Choose Start | Run and type MSCONFIG. Click OK, then click on the Startup tab at the upper right of the window that opens. Uncheck all items listed, click OK, then restart your computer. You can always recheck those items again at a later time.

If, and only if, you have an UltraDMA hard drive, make sure it's in DMA mode. Go to Control Panel | System | Device Manager and click the plus next to Disk Drives. Double click on your hard drive, click Settings, and make sure the DMA box is checked. If it is not, check it, restart, and make sure it stays checked.
    fastnbulbous
    RE: moving Audio Data to new F drive 2005/09/22 20:01:40 (permalink)
    edit!

ok millerbill, i followed your prodecure to a T, and it seemed to play fine for awhile, but then it started dropping out at 10-15 second intervals. and...it took an exceptionally long time to actually play after i pushed play.
    i haven't even tried to record with it yet. :P

thanks anyway everyone. if anyone's got something else feel free to post, otherwise i'll be calling my computer dude and maybe he can walk me through something since by now he knows more about my computer than i do....
    post edited by fastnbulbous - 2005/09/22 22:32:37
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1