drums?

Author
jorgito
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2005/09/19 00:48:41 (permalink)

drums?

how is the best way to tune a TAMA swingstar for recording??

3 Replies Related Threads

DavidB
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: drums? 2005/09/19 10:18:51 (permalink)
    Tune them so they sound good Then move your mic's around to the best places to capture the good sound you've created.
    boomer
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: drums? 2005/09/19 11:37:24 (permalink)
    Depends on the type of music.

What DavidB said.

With a drum key? (cue snare/hi hat hit) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, if you do a google search for drum tuning you will get a wealth of information.
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: drums? 2005/09/26 19:06:30 (permalink)
    New heads. Avoid black dots. Use a coated ambassador on the snare (as well as toms too..many studio drummers do, including me) but usually a decent pinstrip will suffice as well. Don't tune the drums beyond, either above or below their natural tension.

Take a roll of duct tape, and very carefully throw it out the door. You shouldn't need it if you've tuned the drums properly.

Make sure all loose hardware is secured.

Choices in mics vary from engineer to engineer, but personally I use an SM57 on the snare, an EV RE20 on the kick, Sennheiser 441's on the toms and either a pair of AKG 414's or C 1000's in an XY overhead array. I don't ever direct mic the hihat. Too harsh..
    The few times I've done it, I ended up attenuating that track so much that I shouldn't have bothered to begin with. Rely on your Overheads to pick it up..if you mic correctly, it should come across silky and smooth.

I suggest, if you have limited experience in drum mic'ing for recording, that you do a little research on the subject. It's not simply a question of randomly throwing up microphones. Many threads have appeared here in the forum written by myself and others that are very intuitive on the subject; do a search. If you've already got a handle on it, then disregard the above paragraph.

Also, don't discount the importance of the room in which you are recording and it's inherant acoustic signature(s). Bad sounding rooms will almost invariably give you bad sounding tracks. Only you would know how the room sounds. You might want to do a search regarding this as well.

Fresh Heads, Good Mics, (a tuning torque wrench can be a very useful tool as well), a good room and most importantly, a good drummer with consistancy and a sence of dynamics and feel will give you great results.

FWIW

D.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1