"Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - REMIXED - Please Listen

Author
Elvenking
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
2005/09/19 14:32:21 (permalink)

"Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - REMIXED - Please Listen

***LINK IN THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED***

NEW: Remixed my tune, removed a lot of reverb and delay. Changed up to DFH Superior for better cymbals and overall sound. If you have not heard the song...it starts out with an intro running to about 1:15 and then the main part of the song comes in. The link in this post has been updated to the new mix. Please give it a whirl and let me know how the mix sounds to you. Some things are a taste call, and I will recognize that.

OLD POST: About 2 and a half months ago. I picked up my guitar again and began playing around with Sonar. Over the period, I decided to write this song to see if I could do it. All of the instuments are played and arranged by myself out of my apartment. The drums are thanks to DFH2. Please have a listen and let me know what you think. Of course, mixing advice is most appreciated. If you like the genre, then I would like your opinion of the song as well. There is a small intro, and then the main part of the song. All totaling in a little over 6 mins just to let you know how much time you need. Thank you in advance.

Visit the following site to download the song, it is called "Disconnected". Here are the words.

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33RQW03PCL91A068FUTCUPHXIA

post edited by Elvenking - 2005/10/14 04:53:02

26 Replies Related Threads

Myndkill41
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditiona Heavy Metal - Please Give a Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/19 14:47:06 (permalink)
    Very cool stuff I love Old School metal its my heartbeat also congrats on the first completed song its nice to hear someone besides me playing this kind of music hehehehe :) \m/
    As far as mix goes it sounds like you have all your levels pretty close tones are a taste call your vocals sound real good compliments on those especially and the piano sounds great in the beginning all in all very cool man ...

I ate What !!!!! Oh Man.......
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditiona Heavy Metal - Please Give a Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/19 14:50:09 (permalink)
    Thank you for the comments. Yes, it seems we metaler play to the small crowd.

ORIGINAL: Myndkill41

Very cool stuff I love Old School metal its my heartbeat also congrats on the first completed song its nice to hear someone besides me playing this kind of music hehehehe :) \m/
    As far as mix goes it sounds like you have all your levels pretty close tones are a taste call your vocals sound real good compliments on those especially and the piano sounds great in the beginning all in all very cool man ...

variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditiona Heavy Metal - Please Give a Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/19 19:36:51 (permalink)
    Like the piano intro although it might be a touch to long?When the band kicks in sounds cool...seems to me like a bit more bottom end would sound cool in this mix.Really like the vocals/vocalist.The guitar solo kinda reminds me of Maiden with the galloping feel.Pretty cool tune!
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditiona Heavy Metal - Please Give a Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/19 20:14:51 (permalink)
    I will consider the shortening the intro, however it is about a minute and not too long. But I take all comments into consideration. The whole band is me, so thank you for the compliments too. The 'soloing' is my best effort in what I can currently do for a lead guitar. But to have you associate it in any way with Maiden....is a complete honor. A million thanks for that one.

ORIGINAL: variaxman

Like the piano intro although it might be a touch to long?When the band kicks in sounds cool...seems to me like a bit more bottom end would sound cool in this mix.Really like the vocals/vocalist.The guitar solo kinda reminds me of Maiden with the galloping feel.Pretty cool tune!

Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/20 19:58:34 (permalink)
    Ok please...a few more thoughts. I just hate to watch my tune fall off the page before hearing a bit more feedback. So please, if you have the time.
    electroylite
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/20 23:33:30 (permalink)
    It reminds me of a Queensryche/Ozzy type of thing...Long intro is fitting for this type of music. Although I don't listen to this style much anymore I can appreciate it for what it is and it's a very well crafted song. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I as well wouldnt mind a little more bottom end but i am also listening to it with crappy speakers at work so it might just be that these speakers dont kick out much bass...anywho...Good job.

Motagator:http://www.motagator.net/bands/319/
    MySpace:http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=26880723
    MC4, Winxp home media edition sp2, 920 Pentium D Processor, 2.0GB Mem, 300 GB HD, GNX4
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/21 01:56:58 (permalink)
    Well cool. It looks like I have at least dialed in the style. The truth is, I really didn't know what it would sound "like" when I was writing it. It all started with a couple of riffs...I put drums to each of them...then merged them into one tune and rearranged stuff a bit. Figured out some transitions. Last thing was the lyrics....that took some time. It is far different doing creative writing to a song than it is just freestyle creative writing.

At any rate, I really appreciate the coments. Thanks for listening to the tune.

The bottom end seems to be really subjective to the system it is being listened to on...when I play this on my home stereo loud...it sounds just amazing. But I think I am lacking some of that punch in the mid to low area for smaller setups. I will be tweaking on the mix a little more soon and I will review that in detail.

Thanks again. Getting some feedback is so nice when you have put a lot of work into something like this.
    ORIGINAL: electroylite

It reminds me of a Queensryche/Ozzy type of thing...Long intro is fitting for this type of music. Although I don't listen to this style much anymore I can appreciate it for what it is and it's a very well crafted song. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I as well wouldnt mind a little more bottom end but i am also listening to it with crappy speakers at work so it might just be that these speakers dont kick out much bass...anywho...Good job.

post edited by Elvenking - 2005/09/21 02:06:47
    Bladefish
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 369
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/21 18:57:39 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty good overall. Personally, I would like alot more kick. Not so much in the way of volume, but cutting through the mix (EQ, compression, etc.). Maybe try a different sample.
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/21 22:05:41 (permalink)
    Totally, it nearly disappears in the mix and I am a bit disappointed there. I am all over the kick tonight. Spent the better part of the day researching kick EQing and compression. SHould have enough info to go on now. Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

ORIGINAL: Bladefish

Sounds pretty good overall. Personally, I would like alot more kick. Not so much in the way of volume, but cutting through the mix (EQ, compression, etc.). Maybe try a different sample.

Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/22 16:38:44 (permalink)
    Post edited to reflect newest link.

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...1A068FUTCUPHXIA

ORIGINAL: electroylite

post edited by Elvenking - 2005/10/11 16:36:04
    tommybgood
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/23 12:12:16 (permalink)
    Sounds good man! Good arrangement. Excellent lyrics.
    I'm also a semi-metalhead. I'm brand new to this recording stuff. I have a couple of songs almost done. I just have to redo the vocals a couple of hundred times. I'm still trying to figure out all this eq/compression/etc. stuff also. When I finish something I'll post it.
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/23 12:35:02 (permalink)
    Post edited to reflect latest link

BTW, here is a link to the latest mix minus the intro.

ORIGINAL: tommybgood

Sounds good man! Good arrangement. Excellent lyrics.
    I'm also a semi-metalhead. I'm brand new to this recording stuff. I have a couple of songs almost done. I just have to redo the vocals a couple of hundred times. I'm still trying to figure out all this eq/compression/etc. stuff also. When I finish something I'll post it.

post edited by Elvenking - 2005/10/11 16:38:13
    Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/23 16:05:09 (permalink)
    Vocals are good but are buried in the mix (don't be shy about your voice - it's good). Guitars too dominant. Drums could be brighter (add some more compression?). I'd like to hear you experiment with some additional vocal effects too. How about a spread effect with more reverb?
    M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/23 19:38:58 (permalink)
    Hi, Stephen,

I just listened to your 3rd mix, posted just above me. . .

Yeah, man, vocals stand out on this - they're way better than the track, actually. The parts are cool, and the song-writing seems cool, but the overall sound is very demo-ish and drum-machine-ish, even though you're using one of the known drum sample sets.

My first impression is that you need to spend as much time on your guitar and drum sounds as you do on your vocal sound. (In addition to the performance, the *sound* of the vocal is good, too.) This track could kill with some bigger, ambient treatment on the guitar and drum sounds. The parts suffice, it's the sound that detracts, I think.

Just my thoughts. Nice effort, though. And, the positive notes on your vocals are warranted, IMHO.

M
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/24 00:12:32 (permalink)
    Working on that overall sound tonight. Just give me some time, I'll fix er up.
    ORIGINAL: M

Hi, Stephen,

I just listened to your 3rd mix, posted just above me. . .

Yeah, man, vocals stand out on this - they're way better than the track, actually. The parts are cool, and the song-writing seems cool, but the overall sound is very demo-ish and drum-machine-ish, even though you're using one of the known drum sample sets.

My first impression is that you need to spend as much time on your guitar and drum sounds as you do on your vocal sound. (In addition to the performance, the *sound* of the vocal is good, too.) This track could kill with some bigger, ambient treatment on the guitar and drum sounds. The parts suffice, it's the sound that detracts, I think.

Just my thoughts. Nice effort, though. And, the positive notes on your vocals are warranted, IMHO.

M

Bone_Jack
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/24 20:55:20 (permalink)
    Another metal head here. I really like this tune!!! Great work!!!
    jwnicholson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/25 09:21:43 (permalink)
    Hi Stephen,

I am not much of a metal head myself, but I liked this tune, and the girlfriend says it's good. She is more into metal than I am.
    stratboy77
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/25 12:13:30 (permalink)
    I like the track allot, however I do have a couple of opinions/suggestions for you, more kick drum of some sort, maybe not louder just a different tone that cuts better. in the beginning of the song you can hear it well, but when the tune gets going, its a little lost

the arrangement is great also, at the end instrumental section there is a lead sort of but its just playing a repeating line over and over, I kept waiting it for it to jump into a nice ripping solo. like Iron Maiden

these are just opinions and I think youve got a great track to work with
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/25 17:50:04 (permalink)
    EDIT: Post edited to reflect latest link

Only time will improve my leads. I just picked my guitar up after many many years about 2 months ago. I never have learned how to make good leads yet, but I am sure in time. THerefore, the lead you hear in the song. Here is the latest mix of the tune

Its without the intro so a bit shorter.

ORIGINAL: stratboy77

I like the track allot, however I do have a couple of opinions/suggestions for you, more kick drum of some sort, maybe not louder just a different tone that cuts better. in the beginning of the song you can hear it well, but when the tune gets going, its a little lost

the arrangement is great also, at the end instrumental section there is a lead sort of but its just playing a repeating line over and over, I kept waiting it for it to jump into a nice ripping solo. like Iron Maiden

these are just opinions and I think youve got a great track to work with

post edited by Elvenking - 2005/10/11 16:37:55
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/25 22:09:20 (permalink)
    I think the songs is good. I just have some suggestions for you (just my opinions):

Back off on the distortion of the rhythm of touch. Maybe add another track or two with more overdrive than distorion.

Double and triple the leads with a clean and semi-distorted tone to "beef it up" and sound more pro (I'm thinking Metallica's lead breaks on Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets). Also record the octaves of the notes to beef it up. COuld also do harmonies of the notes AND record with your neck pickups. THINK THICK!

Slightly back off the effects on the vocals, and bring them even in the mix.

A reverb on the drums will somewhat hide the "artificialness" of them.

Maybe add some sound effect do dads to add some dynamics.

Just my thoughts! Good luck, and good job!
    post edited by hockeyjx - 2005/09/25 23:36:07
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/25 22:16:45 (permalink)
    About that bass drum.... you could add a free VST called ruby tube or PSP Vintage warmer or simlar plug. You can get a little more distortion on it then EQ 4K a bit for more slap. I'm not into metal but, it sounds ok to me.

Max Arwood
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/26 00:58:27 (permalink)
    Hi there. Lots of suggestions here. I am probably not going to do too much more tracking on this tune at this time. But I like the guitar tracking suggestions. I didn't think to use the two different pickups to multi layer. I will give that a shot on my next tune. However, I may just go back and layer the lead like you say, just to see what that sounds like. I am not a ripping laed player at the moment. maybe with some more practice. But I thought the little lead in this tune was catchy. I came up with most of the last part while I was washing dishes one night. I seem to get some really goo idea while doing manual labor. Its the weirdest thing. LOL.

Where the hell did that come from...HA!

Anyway, I like the suggestions. Some things you have to realize will be a taste call. But I do thank you for the techniques that you have offered here. Many thanks again.

ORIGINAL: hockeyjx

I think the songs is good. I just have some suggestions for you (just my opinions):

Back off on the distortion of the rhythm of touch. Maybe add another track or two with more overdrive than distorion.

Double and triple the leads with a clean and semi-distorted tone to "beef it up" and sound more pro (I'm thinking Metallica's lead breaks on Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets). Also record the octaves of the notes to beef it up. COuld also do harmonies of the notes AND record with your neck pickups. THINK THICK!

Slightly back off the effects on the vocals, and bring them even in the mix.

A reverb on the drums will somewhat hide the "artificialness" of them.

Maybe add some sound effect do dads to add some dynamics.

Just my thoughts! Good luck, and good job!

Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/26 01:00:15 (permalink)
    Thank you for the nice comment. I am glad that some people enjoy it.
    ORIGINAL: Bone_Jack

Another metal head here. I really like this tune!!! Great work!!!

MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/09/26 12:18:08 (permalink)
    You know I forgot to mention Cakewalks FX2 Tape Sim. I think that is an overlooked plugin. It will add some nice crunch to most anything, including that bass drum.
    Max Arwood
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/10/10 12:49:06 (permalink)
    Here is the link to the latest version of the mix. Removed/reduced a lot of verb and delay that were crushing the mix. Changed over to DFHS for better cymbals.

post edited by Elvenking - 2005/10/11 16:37:31
    Elvenking
    RE: "Disconnected" - Traditional Heavy Metal - Please Listen. Opinions Welcome. 2005/10/11 16:30:26 (permalink)
    Link updated
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1