88 key MIDI controller options

Author
biggestmuff
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
2005/09/21 23:51:01 (permalink)

88 key MIDI controller options

I'm getting tired of my studio setup. It's driving me nuts. I thought I had everything setup fine and would be able to have a smooth workflow, but I was wrong. I currentyly have two keyboards; a Roland JP-8000 and a Korg KARMA. Depending on what I'm recording, one of the boards is the main player and the other is acting as a MIDI controller for EWQLSO, SD, DFHS...etc. This has grown a bit cumbersome. When I switch between Sonar projects, sometimes I have to rearrange which board does which task. It gets old. I'd like to keep each board active and ready so that I can use these boards on their own. So, to make things easier, I'm leaning towards purchasing a MIDI controller. That way, no matter what Sonar project I'm working on, the controller is ready to go for each project; no softwar reconfiguring.

What are some decent MIDI controllers? I've had good luck with M-Audio equipment. How are there 88 key controllers? What's the difference between the keys of the Keystation88es (semi-weighted) and the KeystationPro88 (hammer action)? Obviously, the Pro has the ability to control more functions and costs more. How does switching MIDI channels on these controllers work? On the ES, does that happen with two front panel buttons; one for selecting Channel Up and another for selecting Channel Down?

Any other brand recomendations?

Thank!

Todd

2 Replies Related Threads

algorhythm
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: 88 key MIDI controller options 2005/09/22 12:13:58 (permalink)
    Have you thought about a MIDI router like the MOTU MIDI-Express that can send any MIDI-out to any MIDI-in?

I like the Kurzweil PC-88 for a weighted keyboard and for it's Piano tonal qualities. But I think that yet another keyboard will not improve your situation.
    biggestmuff
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: 88 key MIDI controller options 2005/10/16 13:54:30 (permalink)
    I think the Kurzweils (PC2x, PC1x) are a little over what I want to spend.

I like the CME UF8. Anything special I should know about that one? I like the transport controls built into it.

What is everyone's opinions on the Studio Logic brand? I see three of those that fit the bill; SL990XP, VMK188, and the SL880Pro.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1