Lynx vs. RME

Author
mcdonalk
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
2005/09/24 10:04:34 (permalink)

Lynx vs. RME

Last December, I bought an Lynx22 in an effort to improve upon the sonic (and other) performance of my Delta 1010. I selected the L22 due to the promised ability to interface with a Lynx Aurora 8 when the Aurora 8 became available, via the L22 "lstream" interface.

Not surprisingly, the L22 sounds better than the D1010.

The Lynx Aurora 8 became available in early 2005. However, since then, the lstream interface kit, described in the Aurora 8 manual, which I need to expand my analog and digital channels of the L22 with the Aurora 8 (and remove the D1010 from my system), is not yet available. Queries to Lynx over that period of time have consistenly resulted in replies promising the interface "in the next month or two." This has been going on for months.

I am considering the possibility that this interface will never be available. Therefore, I am looking for an alternative approach for this class of sound card.

I know that there are many happy RME users here; I am not looking to find whether the RME users are happy with their interfaces. Instead, has anyone here done any direct comparisons between RME and Lynx? How do RME products sound compared to Lynx? Did anyone select RME over Lynx for any particular reason?

thanks

Keith

2 Replies Related Threads

groove
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 270
    RE: Lynx vs. RME 2005/09/24 16:08:27 (permalink)
    BUMP.

I can tell you this much from browsing around the newsgroups - the RME Multiface doesn't compare favorably to the LynxTwo. That is to say that the consensis is that LynxTwo offers audibly better sound. A comparison I'd like to know about is the FireFace vs LynxTwo. I think that'd be a better comparison, personally.
    I'm also a Delta1010 user, and I'm about to upgrade to either the FireFace or the LynxTwo. If I knew that the FireFace sounds as good as the LynxTwo, I'd spring for the extra few hundred bucks - you're getting an awful lot of extra features with the RME in that case. Ultimately, I'd rather have the LynxTwo if it sounds markedly better, though, as I have mic preamps and that sort of thing.
    Another BIG question for me is when the Lynx products might support 64bit windows. So far zilch, and that's going to be important going forward.
    Good luck, I'll be watching this thread and I'll post back here if I can find any comparison comments from out and around. So far I haven't found anyone that has had experience with both to comment.

pete
    dbr
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Lynx vs. RME 2005/11/05 04:26:14 (permalink)
    Re RME vs Lynx, check this out. "High-End Analogue Soundcard Shootout: LynxTWO, RME DIGI96/8 PAD and Delta 1010 (LONG)" in http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=236215&highlight=rme+lynx

David
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1