question about tube amps???

Author
derekzoolander
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 298
2005/09/28 04:16:09 (permalink)

question about tube amps???

hey guys, i've got a 50watt JCM800 head with Mesa tubes in it. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be as loud as it used to be?? The power tubes are brand new and they didn't seem to help. My clean channel is fine, but when I switch to distortion it is nowhere near as loud. Any ideas??..........peace and chicken grease

-zoolander

12 Replies Related Threads

HammerHead
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1403
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/28 07:52:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: derekzoolander

hey guys, i've got a 50watt JCM800 head with Mesa tubes in it. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be as loud as it used to be?? The power tubes are brand new and they didn't seem to help. My clean channel is fine, but when I switch to distortion it is nowhere near as loud. Any ideas??..........peace and chicken grease

-zoolander

did you bias the amp when you changed the tubes ?
    derekzoolander
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 01:19:39 (permalink)
    no
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 06:39:35 (permalink)
    Hammerheads right dood, you gotta rebias when you revalve. That's the first thing to do then you should be good to go. Also need to match the pairs and pay attention to your preamp valves in case they're tired.

Hope this helps and cheers!

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    PieterVW
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 08:20:50 (permalink)
    Yep, you'll need to bias the tubes. The hotter you bias them, the louder your amp will go. If you don't bias them, it's bad for your amp and sound.
    skbass88
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 11:01:59 (permalink)
    It's not a GIVEN that it needs re-biasing. But it could be. I would definitely replace the preamp tubes WITH the power tubes, though. That's kind of strange that both sets weren't replaced at the same time. That's probably not helping your problem.

"I want it Louder! More Power!
    I'm gonna Rock ya till it strikes the hour!"

Sonar 4P
    Delta 44
    Reason 2.5
    XP Pro
    P4 2.4Ghz
    1.5G RAM
    derekzoolander
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 16:30:09 (permalink)
    ok, how do i bias the tubes........is this something i can do myself? i'm pretty good with electronic stuff but i've never done that before.
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 17:40:13 (permalink)
    about biasing, it is not always needed. Boogie does not make provisions for rebiasing on their amps. They say that biasing was only needed back in the day, when there was more variability in the quality of power tubes. Boogie amps come with a fixed bias now. Bias is only the heater voltage after all. I am curious. the old tubes where el34s or 6550s ? has naything else changed (impedance of cabinet, impedance selector switch setting?, effects loop.)

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    derekzoolander
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 21:26:08 (permalink)
    old tubes were sovtek el34's, but i put some mesa boogie el34's. no other changes were made.
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/29 23:52:22 (permalink)
    about biasing, it is not always needed. Boogie does not make provisions for rebiasing on their amps. They say that biasing was only needed back in the day, when there was more variability in the quality of power tubes.

Indeed. However, I'd like more info - how old is the amp? Has it had any tube changes previously? JCM 800's go back...how old is the amp?

Getting the bias checked out might be a good thing to do, but it is a falacy to believe the amp needs to be rebiased after every power-tube change! The important thing is that they're in matched pairs; unlike preamp tubes, you can't mix-and-match them (at least, you shouldn't). Think of power tubes as light bulbs - you don't need to check your wiring every time you screw in a new light bulb.

Speaking of preamp tubes, they last way way longer than power amp tubes. Preamp tubes can go ten years before needing replacement - though I wouldn't wait that long. Whereas under gigging use the power tubes should be changed every year, I usually will go about 3-5 years before changing the preamp tubes on my main amp. My Blues Junior still has the original preamp tubes, and I've had that thing forever!

Anyways, a simple power amp tube replacement should not drastically alter your power and tone like that. Either you got some bad tubes, or something's not right with the amp. I'd try another set of tubes, then take it to the shop.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    derekzoolander
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/30 01:04:45 (permalink)
    yeah, i'm probably gonna have it looked at this weekend. i checked the serial number on the amp and as far as i know it's from '93 and it's 2210 series. as far as i know the preamp tubes are probably the origional ones.
    7string
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/09/30 01:11:40 (permalink)
    Dudes, I mean no disrespect here, but there are some incorrect statements flying around here. I am no expert. I’ve owned custom built Marshalls since I was 12 or 13. Two of my buddies that I jammed with growing up built a bunch of amps. I’m trying to learn by reading everything I can. I am confident that what I am saying is true, based on my friends common sense approaches and not the tall tales that seem to plague tube amp beliefs. Let’s take an end user, not a techie point of view. That power transformer in your 800 puts out enough juice to kill you dead and the filter caps can store it for days after you turn it off. One mistake, DEAD, NO B.S.

Every time you change output tubes, regardless of brand or type of bias supply circuit, the bias should be checked. It doesn’t always need to be adjusted. There is a range of tolerance that the tube should operate at. It is okay towards the high or low side of these tolerances. Most say without any effect on tone. It doesn’t make your amp louder just by biasing the amp hot. If you are a stud tech you could play with the entire output section to make it drift into the class B range (instead of the stock class AB) and possibly get more volume or distortion or whatever. WAY outside the scope of changing tubes and checking to make sure everything is cool. Bias is the grid supply voltage, not the filament/heater voltage. Filament voltage is typically 6.3 v and is set by a separate tap on the power transformer. Again, people play with these, still way outside our scope as an end user.

It is recommended by most to buy matched sets. This is practical in trying to keep the amp stable and even a bit anal retentive. For years I’ve bought tubes randomly off the shelf from the local electronics store without a problem due to mismatched tubes. Plenty of problems for other reasons though. Again, people experiment with mismatch for tone. Not us as beginners.

It is not required to change the preamp tubes at the same time as the power tubes. A lot of people change the phase inverter (preamp tube usually closest to the output tubes) at the same time for good measure since it can get beat up. The other preamp tubes that are in the tone circuit can last a lifetime. So you are probably throwing away a good tube. When your output tubes go bad they will let you know. They will short and blow a fuse.

Moral of the story: put your old tubes back in until you can take it to someone qualified to check the bias for you. If you want to learn, there is an abundance of internet and printed resources to help you.

Pat
    steverispin
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: question about tube amps??? 2005/10/05 12:30:42 (permalink)
    Everything 7string says, plus:

calaverasgrandes: Boogie does not make provisions for rebiasing on their amps. They say that biasing was only needed back in the day, when there was more variability in the quality of power tubes.

This is because they expect you to use Boogie tubes, which go through a tight quality-control system similar to Groove Tubes.
    FWIW, Boogie amps generally have quite a high fixed bias, and need close-tolerance tubes. If you replaced Sovteks with Boogies, it's fersure the bias will need increasing. It's also good to check bias every few months anyway, as it does drift as the tube ages.
    For years I’ve bought tubes randomly off the shelf from the local electronics store without a problem due to mismatched tubes.

Yup, give a matched pair a few hours burn-in and guess what? they're unmatched! -This depends on the original quality of the tubes though and good sets should remain ball-park longer. It's nice to know they started out matched, anyway!

For more info on this, Aspen Pittman's book The Tube Amp Book is a mine of info, including doing biasing without getting fried! Also history, repairs, schematics etc. Highly recommended.

All the best

Steve

Ain't no plant can outwit me! -Steve
    (despite all evidence to the contrary - Mrs Steve)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1