upgrade Motherboard And Processor

Author
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
2005/10/04 00:04:46 (permalink)

upgrade Motherboard And Processor

I need to upgrade my motherboard and processor. Right now I have a celeron D 325-- 2.53 ghz with a gig of ram. (2 sticks of 512MB) Surprisingly I didn’t have any problems on sonar 4 with it -- and as of yet have no problems with sonar5.…….. But I know I will eventually the more audio tracks and plug ins I use.

Right now I am eyeing an intel 4 506 processor and ECS 848p-A7 motherboard that comes with 1MB cache (is that the ram stick that comes with it?) The cost is $120.00 for the motherboard and processor.

My questions are:

Is this a good deal?

Is this easy to learn to install myself?

It advertises 1mb catche….what is that? Whats the difference between the “catche” and a ram stick?

How does it effect my earth net usb and audio connections all ready there. Currently I use a usb tascam 122 as my audio card and shut down the on board ac97 or whatever they are called. Not sure really how these are connected to and with the motherboard.

What would you do if you didn’t have a lot of money but wanted to upgrade to a better processor in my situation?

Any suggestions are helpful and appreciated.

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

1 Reply Related Threads

Zlartibartfast
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 820
    RE: upgrade Motherboard And Processor 2005/10/08 10:41:29 (permalink)
    Mooch, here is the exact same advice I gave to my best friend about a sinilar question:
    DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!

Here's the scoop on the CPU story: the Celeron D is probably FASTER than the Pentium you're looking at (depending on how you measure speed, of course).

"Cache" is a form of memory used for temporary storage, that is WAAAY faster then main system RAM. In the case of the Celeron D (if I remember these numbers correctly), you have 256Kbytes of L2 cache, attached directly to the CPU (you can't see it, like you can see your memory sticks). The Pentium 4 you speak of has 1024Kbytes L2 cache, but runs at nearly the same internal clock speed. It isn't really faster than the Celeron.

The P4 also supports EM64T, which is a little trick Intel came up with to allow 64 bit Windows to run on what is still a 32 bit core. If you want to run more than 4 GBB RAM, and use XP 64, and have all kinds of potential problems getting non-64 bit things to work correctly, then after spending probably 3 or 4 times the price of this MOBO and CPU, weeks or even months of aggravation (I conclude you have never built a PC before), and all the while not be able to use Sonar in any way til it's all done, then I would say give it a try.

But I'm bettin' you don't want to go through that. Keep saving your money, and when the need arises, get an entirely new computer or 64 bit operations

"If it ain't a-Broke, don't a-Fix"
    -Tony the FIAT mechanic

<edit> I searched for 5 minutes - the CPU alone is $110 - I wouldn't put a $10 MB in MY DAW, Fer Shure! </edit>
    post edited by Zlartibartfast - 2005/10/08 10:54:23
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1