Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb

Author
Billy Buck
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2101
2005/10/05 09:54:47 (permalink)

Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb

I came across this recent Mic Pre shootout, from The Listening Sessions. I was kinda interested, because I have a Sebatron vmp which I like a lot and wanted to hear how it stacked up against some of the top notch Mic Pres. On the Sebatron Acoustic track, it sounds like the engineer notched a hi eq band up or something and you get this subtle background hiss, the other Seb tracks (electric gtr & OH's), don't exhibit it. I have found the Seb to be extremely quite, on my acoustic guitar tracks. Otherwise, the recordings were well done.

Neve Portico 5012 in three different settings
API 3124 with stock 2520 opamp (1999)
Great River MP-2
Sebatron vmp-2000e

Sources: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and drum overheads

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session10.htm

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

6 Replies Related Threads

CapnSpanky
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb 2005/10/05 11:11:28 (permalink)
    I learned about the A Designs MP-1 and MP-2 over at Dan Richards' (DOT) Studio Forums and was able to snag an MP-2 for a great price on eBay. Dan is the master mind behind the Listening Sessions.

The Listeing Sessions and Studio Forums are pretty good places to learn about gear. They are not as rabid anti-Chineese gear and anti-prosumer gear as some other gear forums I can think of.

However, it should be noted that Dan is now affiliated with a company that sells gear. So I don't suppose his advise should considered 100% unbiased.

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    From the Planet Screwball
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb 2005/10/05 11:27:44 (permalink)
    The thing I don't understand is why the prices of preamps have not come down. The market is very crowded, the market is small (it's not a mass consumer item), and there is no shortage in the supply chain. Seems like conditions are right for a price drop but it's just not happening.
    CapnSpanky
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb 2005/10/05 13:10:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey
    The thing I don't understand is why the prices of preamps have not come down. The market is very crowded, the market is small (it's not a mass consumer item), and there is no shortage in the supply chain. Seems like conditions are right for a price drop but it's just not happening.

I've wondered that myself. Are the components really that expensive?

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    From the Planet Screwball
    ohhey
    RE: Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb 2005/10/05 13:41:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CapnSpanky

I've wondered that myself. Are the components really that expensive?

Most of them should not be (at least in bulk) except maybe transformers. I think it's more labor on the hand made and tested ones.
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb 2005/10/05 15:53:37 (permalink)

Hey Frank,
    Check out the new affordable mic pre offerings from UA @ $799.00 list, probably sell for a lot less street. It seems they will be offering both tube (Solo/610) and solid state (Solo/110):

http://www.jrrshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5530

Someone has to make the first move , I guess.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

ohhey
    RE: Mic Pre Shootout - Neve,API,GR,Seb 2005/10/05 16:13:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Billy Buck

Hey Frank,
    Check out the new affordable mic pre offerings from UA @ $799.00 list, probably sell for a lot less street. It seems they will be offering both tube (Solo/610) and solid state (Solo/110):

http://www.jrrshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5530

Someone has to make the first move , I guess.

I don't think $500 to $1000 a channel is "affordable" at all. That's just too much for what's inside those things.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1