A song for the whole family

Author
hypolydien
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
2005/10/05 15:50:01 (permalink)

A song for the whole family

I also posted the link in the Project 5 forum ("wholesome family fun"). I had a really good time doing this and would like the Sonar crowd to listen to it too.

Parents out there who get told by their spouse you spend to much time on your DAW and not enough with the kids?
Well maybe you can do both.(or maybe someone has posted something like this before)
We had some friends over and I got their 5 years old and ours to bang on the keyboard with a Dr008 prest loaded. Normalized it spliced a couple bars that sounded like a beat( it's actually a pretty good beat, no way I would have come up with somthing like this myself, maybe I should try their trick). The slight distortion on the drums is actually one of the pads on the Dr008 preset which sounds like that. Since the kids were playing with their fists mostly, it got triggered a lot. I decided to keep it.
Then I had them sing over the beat for a couple minutes each. Cut and spliced a few good bitses that were in tempo and built from there. I added a bass line, rhodes and string riffs.
The song was made in Sonar, but all instruments and effects are Project 5 except for the Dr008. The strings are Siedlaczeck Advanced orchestra strings, audio version loaded in DS864.

http://audioshots.com/auditorium/viewtopic.php?t=2737
post edited by hypolydien - 2005/10/05 16:01:04

4 Replies Related Threads

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: A song for the whole family 2005/10/05 18:14:27 (permalink)
    Hi, hypo'!

I don't know if something like this would mitigate my spousal issues, but I liked it!

Seems like a good excuse to have my daughter bring the other cheerleaders over, no?

Somehow I don't think that would fly. . .
    guitarplayingmann
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: A song for the whole family 2005/10/05 20:32:22 (permalink)
    I Like it! Avant-garde. Very weird but very musical and artsy sounding. I'd like to hear more songs you've composed. I also like M's idea about the cheerleaders. Yikes!
    awfulfalafel
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: A song for the whole family 2005/10/06 00:04:17 (permalink)
    Fun song!

Actually, when the kids voices came in it reminded me a little of the Cranes, who have a childish-sounding singer and write arty stuff like this.

Neat!

Fast, Cheap, or Good...pick two!
    Audio Engineer -http://www.n-space.com
    Staff Writer -----http://www.music4games.net
    hypolydien
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: A song for the whole family 2005/10/06 23:29:12 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you for your comments.
    Thanks for taking a chance to listen, given that I'm new to the forum and the word "family" was involve in the post. I felt like I had to put the word in, even though it might scare some people away from trying to listen to it, thinking it probably is Raffi or Barney style music for kids.
    Kids were involved in making it, but it definitely is not music for kids; although my son really likes to listen to himself. I'm not too sure myself what to call it. I guess some sort of electronica funk avant-guarde, whatever...

guitarplayingman, I am very flattered by your interest. Unfortunately, I don't have anything else that I could post right now. I am pretty new to the computer recording world. I have worked with Sonar for almost three years now, but mostly learning to use it properly.
    I am a music teacher, I teach violin to kids 3 to 16 yrs old. So I have been using Sonar almost exclusively for work, producing play-along metronomically graded practice material for my students. I also spend tons of hours typing for them made-to-measure-for-the-piece-they-are-learning-exercises in Finale.Also spent lots of time transcribing-rearranging Handel, Corelli and Vivaldi concerto grossi for four voices for our students string orchestra.
    I played in jazz and rock groups a while ago, but for the past few years the composing I've done was for students or for Staff Concerts we do at the Conservatory. I wrote 3 string quartets, 2 piano quintets (string quartet and piano), a piece for string quartet, piano, bass and electric guitar. We performed them once and I don't have any recordings. I have a midi version of the last piano quintet but it doesn't have the solos; all those pieces are built like jazz pieces with open sections for solos. I have also written and recorded in Sonar play-along jazz pedagogical songs for violinists which I use with my older students and to give jazz workshops. It isn't something to listen too really.

M and awfulfalafell, I did go check your music on your sites. I haven't had the time to checked it all out and in great depht but waht I've heard is very nice stuff.
    awfulfal, I don'really know enough of the electrnica style to give an educated opinion, but I like your beats and the ambient stuff too. I like the long ambient melodies behind the beats.
    M, nice to get to know a fellow jazz musician interested in many styles, I like your rock playing too.

post edited by hypolydien - 2005/10/06 23:38:18
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1