Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen!

Author
Telewanger
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
2005/10/08 22:34:48 (permalink)

Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen!

Please let me know what you think. Should I keep working on it, or should I quit? I seem to be mixing this song to death!

Click the link below!

Fanger Lickin'
post edited by Telewanger - 2005/10/10 08:35:48

" You are either in key or out of key, choose the first option. If it sounds good, play it. If it sounds bad, move on to the next note! "

Michael E. Lynch

7 Replies Related Threads

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen! 2005/10/09 12:03:10 (permalink)
    I'm speachless! Look out Jerry Reed.
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    RE: Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen! 2005/10/09 12:49:11 (permalink)
    You go! I love those crystal clear Fender tones.
    jwnicholson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen! 2005/10/10 07:58:25 (permalink)
    Please - DO NOT QUIT! This thing is incredible!
    Telewanger
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen! 2005/10/10 08:30:09 (permalink)
    I have a 1999 American Standard Tele. I tore it apart and put a Seymour Duncan (Jerry Donahue) lead pickup in it, and a vintage stack in the rhythm position. I shielded the body and all of the wiring to prevent buzz. I have the standard three way switch, and also have a 3 way micro switch between the volume and tone knob, for a few more sounds.

I use a 1968 Blackface Fender Twin, which I purchased from Ebay last year. It has old tubes in it. I'm not sure how old, but it still sounds pretty good. It has Jensen Special Design speakers in it. They are as old as dirt.
    I run compression and reverb on this song.

I did mic the amp out on this recording. I used a 57 left, and a Roland DR-20 on the right. I guess the compression got rid of the mic "air sound"! I did pan hard left and hard right. The left guitar track is 1 femtosecond ahead in time of the right guitar track.
    (one quadrillionth of a second)

I played all of the instruments on the song, here in my little bedroom studio. I have no "sound proof" insulation on the walls, just carpet on the floor and some pictures on the walls. I appreciate your great comments so far on the tune! Thanks!!!

I am still learning a lot about recording. Some people say that my recordings sound great, and some people say that they need a lot of improvement. I am having a hard time finding a stopping point. Some guys say that the guitar tone is awesome, and some say that it is too compressed, too dry, too loud, too soft, sounds bad, etc. I never know when to stop mixing the songs. I never seem to be satisfied with them, until I mix them to death.

" You are either in key or out of key, choose the first option. If it sounds good, play it. If it sounds bad, move on to the next note! "

Michael E. Lynch
    Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen! 2005/10/10 10:52:57 (permalink)
    Great pickin'. I liked to hear more rhythym guitar or country piano licks.

Guitar is a little too prominent in the mix.
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen! 2005/10/10 12:24:10 (permalink)
    "I have a 1999 American Standard Tele. I tore it apart and put a Seymour Duncan (Jerry Donahue) lead pickup in it, and a vintage stack in the rhythm position. I shielded the body and all of the wiring to prevent buzz. I have the standard three way switch, and also have a 3 way micro switch between the volume and tone knob, for a few more sounds."

Jerry Donahue let me play his main tele once in St. Louis. I want to say it was made of basswood or something light anyway. That pickup he had in the rear was amazing. At the flip of a switch it sounded exactly like a strat in the 4th position. He had a strat pickup in the front. I don't know how you feel about that 3-way switch in the tele butI always hated the way it butted up against the volume knob when set in the rear position. I just swapped it out for a Les Paul switch and turned it slightly off-center so when it was in the rear position it would actually be pointing down past the volume knob. Not straight down toward the floor but at about a 75% angle. That was one of the best and easiest modifications I ever made on a guitar. I was afraid the slot from the old switch would stick out noticably with a Lse Paul switch in there but it didn't look bad at all. Wish I still had that guitar....
    GPM
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Fanger Lickin' -- Please Listen! 2005/10/10 13:22:49 (permalink)
    Hey Telewanger, I know that sound you are trying to capture on your recordings. I think you are pretty close to getting it right. To my worn out ears, the guitar tone is just a little too bright. Your playing is great but I would like to hear the guitar with a fatter tone. Maybe a little more bottom end on the guitar would help. I know what you mean about not being able to stop messing with the mix. I do the same thing and usually end up with multiple versions of the same song. This forum may be a good way to get constructive crticism on your work and get closer to a final mix. I've heard some of your other recordings and admire your playing. Keep up the good work!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1