What I have:

Dell 4550 2.66
1 GB RAM (max amount supported)
M-Audio Delta 66 (w/Omni I/O)
80 GB HD
Yamaha P120 and MK 461C to use as midi controllers

Sonar 3SE (5PE coming tommorow, yea!)
Kontakt 1.5x
Garritan Personal Orchestra, and some various VSTis, etc.

My problem is this:

Until about a year ago I simply played an arr keyboard with its onboard sounds into the Dell for sequencing, etc., and this computer is more than adequate for that sort of thing. But it became obsolete overnight when I got interested in an entirely software-based approach. The sounds are SO much better, but it's exponentially more RAM and CPU intensive.

My question is, can I break open the Dell and add an Asus 939-type board that will support a fancier CPU and- especially- 2 GBs (at least) of RAM. Or am I just asking for trouble? I've been prowling around looking at gear, specs, and such, but can't really grasp what is compatible with what, and I can't afford a new PC right now. Also, I'd rather wait on 64 bit architecture until it gets out of beta and the prices come down.

Any thoughts? Can I modify my little Dell? In some ways it's like the "little engine that could," but it huffs and puffs and doesn't really want to.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
post edited by Quasar - 2005/10/09 22:32:40

7 Replies Related Threads

kellog
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: PC Upgrade Help? 2005/10/10 12:29:36 (permalink)
    In for a penny… I couldn’t find much info on your case – you’d want a full ATX compatible, and make sure your new board will work with Dell’s I/O back panel openings. I’d recommend something with nVidia’s nForce3 Chipset. A 400Watt PS is recommended (350 is minimum), and your PC-2100 RAM will need to be, at least eventually, PC-3200. I assume you have two sticks? To make the most out of your investment you’ll need to go with PC-3200 anyway. Two GB is fine. The 939 board is 64 bit. Go with a chip that has 1MB cache for soft synths. Go with AMD’s 3700+ San Diego and you’ll want the 4400+ Dual core. Trust me. All this stuff is basically a new computer, sad but true. I go long periods between upgrades, and I’m glad I do.

Do some more research, and have fun.

kellog
    Zlartibartfast
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 820
    RE: PC Upgrade Help? 2005/10/10 15:04:00 (permalink)
    Quasar - here is the short answer:
    NO.

I know Dell's inside and out. Plan for a whole new system.

Long answer: Dell is using standard technology but in their own form. You have to buy upgrade parts from Dell in order to ensure compatibility (yes there are exceptions to this, no you don't void your warranty unless you break somehing in the process, but TRUST ME you don't want to toss your cash away like that. Yopu DEll will do what they dresigned it to do, and can last for years (I am writing this reply on a Dell XPS T from 1999). Keep the Dell - it swill make a great web-surf/email/gen purpose box, but look into building a dedicated DAW that you NEVER put on the net (unless it's for a Windows update or similar) and you NEVER install non-DAW software on (uless is some system performance software like Process Explorer). Also, if you network your DEll to your new DAW, the Dell can be a daya backup machine
    Quasar
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: PC Upgrade Help? 2005/10/10 18:54:39 (permalink)
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. Your answers, I think, cleared it up for me.

I am going to do more research, and have fun, but it will be in planning for a whole new system. Zlartibartfast, you are absolutely right about the Dell doing what it is designed to do. It's really a great computer. It just isn't a 21st century DAW. I had been thinking about buying- say- an 800mhz celeron or whatever on the cheap, and using that as my gen purpose machine and then trying to set up the Dell for Daw only. But this doesn't really make any sense. I already have a fine PC for gen use. Why risk ruining it to make it something that it wasn't made to be?

I'm just going to have to save my pennies, and start planning for a new rig built from the ground floor up.

Michael
    kellog
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: PC Upgrade Help? 2005/10/11 01:14:47 (permalink)
    Yeah Quasar, it snags us all. They keep coming up with new stuff to do and we keep needing faster machines and upgrades we just can’t let slip by. I got P-5 “2” also, but only because it was half off – looks like fun so far though. I’m actually upgrading from a P-III 1Ghz PC with 256 MB RAM and Sonar 2 XL. Of course I have hardware effects, and didn’t dream of soft synths, but it worked. I have a P-II 350 MHz with 128 RAM still cranking with Pro Audio 9. I’m turning these old boys into low level servers, as I need network and server experience nowadays. What I came up with from my research, to give you some ideas:

Antec Sonata II case with standard 450 Watt PS. (Leave the ducting stuff out.)

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra 939 MB. Any nForse3 board will do. This one has T.I. 1394-b. I just don’t trust VIA (from the old days).

3700+ San Diego. They were $270.00, and I had to pay $290.00. Demand and supply, dang it! The duals are nice, but that cost difference was my upgrade to Sonar 5 P. I’ll get by.

OCZ Platinum RAM 2X1 for two GB. 2-3-2-5 I believe. OCZ recommends running them at 2-3-2-8 and 2.7 volts, but I’ll wait to see if I need any tweaking like that later. I guess tRAS isn’t as big a deal as the front numbers.

Samsung Spinpoint SATA drives. I got a two platter 250GB. Probably the P-80 160GB would be better with one platter for performance. I don’t know. I’ve got to get a second one here soon and I’ll get the 160 I think.

I’m still on CRT’s so I use Matrox G-450 dual head still. Many recommend to get lower end video, as you just want sound performance primarily anyway. I’ll check out the G-650 when I can afford panels.

I’ve got a Delta 1010 I’ve never had problems with, and an older Echo Darla 20 bit board that still works in my P-II. I’m looking at a Presonus “Firebox” firewire card for remote recording with a notebook now.

I’m not in any hurry to go with 64 bit OS either, but it’s nice to know I won’t have to DO anything re: hardware with the 939 stuff to use it later. I love gear. I love computers and I love building them. I can’t wait to start getting into the new Sonar upgrade and check out the synths, but I’m going to have to because I’m moving. Another sad story. It’s all just plain funner than ever.

Enjoy the planning!
    Quasar
    RE: PC Upgrade Help? 2005/10/11 08:05:52 (permalink)
    Kellog: Great post. Thanks. I started a new bookmark folder and googled your key spec phrases (except for the audio card, a world in which I think I know how to navigate some) and can use this as a starting point.

You clearly know a lot more about this than I do. I keep hearing good things about the Sonata 2, but I don't have any idea what ducting stuff you're talking about, or what it does. Likewise, VIA Tech vs. whatever else is completely off my radar screen. I've never even OPENED a PC case except to install a RAM chip or a PCI card.

The San Diego line looks great. I really do want that 1MB cache.

Yes, it does make sense to accomodate 64, because this is the future, regardless of current intent. Going to explore further, but right now I've got to shuffle off to the day job, or I soon woluldn't even have an electrical outlet for even browsing this stuff, much less buy it!

BTW, psychologists say that- other than marriage/divorce or death of a loved one- moving can be one of the most stressful events in a person's life. Stay cool.

Michael
    mark4man
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 700
    RE: PC Upgrade Help? 2005/10/11 13:17:15 (permalink)
    Quasar...

Here's all you need to do:

http://www.cakewalk.com/pcresource/dell.asp

Why bother with customization? The DAW PC mfg.'s only customize their own case anyway. SONAR runs mean & lean & quiet on Dells w/ Intel MoBo's (no proven track record yet on nVidia boards/chipsets...but I'd be wary until such time.)

mark4man

BTW - That machine's about a grand. If you custom built a machine with the same components...it would run you about $1,300; & you get zero support. The only drawback would be that...if you go w/ SONAR5 for 64-Bit capability, you'll have to load in an off-the-shelf Windows XP 64-Bit OS...but that's not a bad thing anyway; & certainly better than OEM.
    post edited by mark4man - 2005/10/11 15:02:57
    Quasar
    RE: PC Upgrade Help? 2005/10/11 20:14:33 (permalink)
    Thanks mark4man. I've glanced at and fiddled with customizing the Precisions before, but didn't know about the CW-380 connection. This leads me to a whole other Q that I think I'll post on another thread...

Michael

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1