A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions

Author
Quasar
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2005/10/11 22:11:06 (permalink)

A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions

Hi Folks,

Like (I would guess) many here, I no doubt have a bit of Spinal Tap in me. When it comes to either buying or building a DAW, I want the one that "goes to 11." I know what I want my future DAW to be able to do, that much is simple: Playing on 2 midi controllers (one for piano hammer action, and a softer keybed for emulating non percussive-like voices,) to compose/play/record in an entirely soft-based environment; to be able to generously execute the rapidly expanding library of virtual sounds and sonic effects through Sonar, and to do so without experiencing performance overloads and drop-offs. Excepting a vocal mic, nothing need transpire through the actual physical air of my little apartment at all.

Looking at tech specs, customizing at rig sites, and reading other peoples' comments and set-ups is kind of fun, but is driving me nuts. How do I really "know" anything when I learn something? For example, P43.6 is obviously "better" than 3.2, or 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM (EEC) is "better" than 533MHz, DDR2 SDRAM (NEEC) etc., but for a Joe Average working stiff like me on a budget, how can I really "know" where the potentially affordable sweet spot is? Would it be better to save for a couple of months and get the duel-core? What about hyperthreading? At what point do features amount to hype and overkill? What happens when you give a 64 bit can of gas and a match to a guy with a 32 bit brain? Or vice versa?

I absolutely cannot even BEGIN to think about RAID 0 vs. RAID 1 and compose music at the same time.

And of course everyones' particular needs are different, too. What may be useless for me (8 midi I/Os) may be essential for you.
So how can I learn what it is that I really can both afford and use, and how would I know it when I see it?

Michael

Part of me is just ranting because I got my Sonar 5PE upgrade from 3SE in the mail, but the retailer sent me 5SE by mistake, and they're going to fix it for me by overnight express just as soon as they get more Producer copy they think maybe it should be tomorrow or sometime... Hey, if this was a major problem I'd be one very lucky person, but still, I was all hyped up to dig into the upgrade.

12 Replies Related Threads

kellog
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 03:47:55 (permalink)
    Hello again Quasar, a good question indeed. In an earlier post, I was sharing what I found to me to be good value parts to build a DAW. I’m a builder though, and love to put together my own machines. I even build PC’s for others free. First, I think you need to assess what you want to do, where you are likely to want to go, and what you can live with. Multiple soft synths and effects really put the CPU to work. I would suggest looking into an AMD Toledo 4400+ dual core for what you are describing – really getting into soft synths. They’ve come down in price too. I almost got this chip, but I know my needs can get by with less, so I got the single version. Going to 11, try out the 4800+. I basically cruise the threads here and somewhat at the AMD forum for ideas. A CPU comparison to check, that was posted here before:

http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

If you are building yourself and want to understand RAM a little better:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/guides/AN501_Latency_Settings_and_Performance.pdf

And I’d have to say, check out this deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

As I wrote before, some parts I listed, while certainly maybe not the “best,” were to me the best value for me. It took me quite a long while to come to my decisions, but research is also something I like to do. I try to share what I think will be helpful, just as I learn from you and others. Just review where your PC demands might go, and lean on people who build DAW’s commercially too for advice. If you don’t have an interest or time to build your own, I’d certainly recommend a DAW builder, not something from a major vendor. That way, you’re getting parts specifically chosen for a DAW, and not games. You also get OS settings chosen for a DAW, and support from people who know what you want to do – not some line guy in another country who you can barely understand. If you are not in a situation where that is easy, keep searching the forums for a DAW description that will suit your needs and have a shop build one for you that can give at least hardware warranty support if that is a major concern. I’ve found if I choose quality parts and assemble them carefully, I don’t have warrantee issues. But it’s always possible something could come up. For a DAW builder, and possibly advice, check out:

http://www.studiocat.com/daw/daw.htm

I don’t sell any products. Never saw Spinal Tap – sounds scary.

kellog

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 12:22:09 (permalink)
    I recommend building your own unit. Get a large case with many slots for various hardware cards. I run a UAD DSP plus a firewire video capture board plus, well a lot of other stuff. This approach will allow you to swap out motherboards and processors on the cheap, less than $300 maybe even $200 when you want to upgrade.

Not to start a religious war but I have and use both Intel and AMD based motherboards, go with Intel. I have more driver issues and downtime on the AMD but, when its running right, I get a slight performance boost over the Intel. Stability however is your friend that's why I recommend Intel.

Dual processing is fine but there are instances when two processors actually can operate slower than a single processor. This is because not a lot of software is properly tuned for dual processor usage. Your call here.

64 bit - Wait until next year or the year after if you want to maintain your sanity. Few soundcard drivers are at a stable 64 bit operational level. When 64 bit has been shaken out a little more you can always pick up a new Motherboard and go that direction.

RAID is for high volume studios or people that need an ego boost. The average home recordist doesn't need raid. A dedicated audio drive yes. It does offer better recovery in case of disaster but with 100GB drives under $100, you can buy two and do a backup at the end of a session. My humble opinion, others will vary.

The only key peice of advice I would offer is to buy the fastest processor you can afford. With the advent of soft synths, you will want all the engine power you can pay for. Oh, and buy as much RAM as you can afford. 1GB is getting to be standard these days. 2GB is better.
    post edited by Middleman - 2005/10/12 12:31:29
    Zlartibartfast
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 820
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 12:58:34 (permalink)
    Quasar - these go to 11, Fer Shure: Boxx

Careful - remember what happened to all the Spinal Tap drummers....
    kellog
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 14:18:01 (permalink)
    An Intel with a “4400” handle – hmm. I don’t mean to be snicky, but when I see $2,800 and $4,300 dollar DAW’s offered with Soundblaster and Realtec AC’97 cards I tend to keep looking. Not saying they are bad though, exactly. I think you can do better for your money though. PCI-e has also been known to cause some people grief, but maybe they fixed that. There are two sides to most coins though, and I’d say check out what Intel fans say too. Some of what I’ve heard and read in the forums is that they run hotter, and have infrequent spikes now and then. In my reading, their architecture, registers, and memory management seems overly complex, and I am a simple guy. I also like the idea of upgrades that just require the CPU, and not CPU + motherboard, with newer requisite chips. Talk to as many actual DAW builders as you can, and compare what their advice is. I’m just a hobbyist. I would encourage you to build your own as well. I think you could get far more machine, Intel or AMD, for your money, and it really isn’t that hard to put them together.

Best luck to you,

kellog
    Zlartibartfast
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 820
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 15:30:57 (permalink)
    Most of the money is going into the P4 dual-core Extreme (4 logical CPU's if you enable hyperthreading) The RealTek audio is integrated on the system board, and *should* be disabled in the BIOS. The SB card is there to make it easier for BOXX to support, which I agree, is not what a real pro rig should be using. PCI-e in terms of video is (IMHO) easier to deal with than 8x AGP, and since there's aren't any PCI-e audio adapters out there ro DAW use (yet?) one would be utilizing the std PCI slots with one's own adapter.

I agree that you can build same-or-better performance based on AMD dual core, for less money, but - if one has not tried it before, one is almost CERTAIN to run into some problems that will require MO MONEY to get around.

I got a closet full of PC stuff - works great for playing games, email, Photoshop, etc. email me for an inventory and price list, if yer innerestid...
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 17:50:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Zlartibartfast

Quasar - these go to 11, Fer Shure: Boxx

Just 5540 bucks for the advanced system? This looks like a bargain!
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 18:03:23 (permalink)
    honestly, it sounds like you dont need a monsyter system to get what you want. Ir wont matter if you get intel or AMD. They will both perform fine. I would advise you though to get a Nforce 3 board like an Asus or Gigabyte. A low end xs64 chip like the athlon 64 3200, 1 gb of corsair valueselect or whatever they call it. and at least 2 hard drives. I think you can save a good anount of dough, and headaches, by staying one stpe back from the bleeding edge. As far as being able to play softsynths, this is more a function of drivers than hardware. I have noticed huge differences in latency with different drivers on the same system. Check around the forums at a manufacturers site about a product befoer you buy. Takes all the fun out if it! But arent we all just trying to make music and stop fighting computers!

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    Quasar
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/12 21:40:19 (permalink)
    I appreciate all the interesting and intelligent replies. So many cool thoughts. Thanks much.

(OT: Hey Kellog, you really should see Rob Reiner's 1984 dead-on, hilarious satire of a "rockumentory" called This is Spinal Tap. It had me doubling over, anyway. The Corsair link, among the others, was great, too. It breaks down to my level!)

This much I think "know" about about my potential DAW:

1) 2GB of at least 3200 PC-level RAM. Some of the softsynth/libraries I'm looking at, and Garritan Personal Orchestra which I own require a MINIMUM of 1GB. Also, for the 64 bit future, the memory support should be expandable.

2) The fastest CPU (whether Intel or AMD) that I can afford, the sweet spot here being last week's BIG BREAKTHROUGH, but now reasonably priced as it's no longer "bleeding edge." Again, 64 possible? Yes. Don't want to have to do this again when tomorrow becomes today.

3) Duel or RAID? Nah. For my humble home studio purposes, two 7200 SATA or IDE HDs, (maybe 80GB system and 250GB audio) should be fine. Boxx looks kind of pricey, and it's probably the duel core stuff? It certainly isn't the Audigy. But I believe it would go to 11, fer shure.

4) PSU and Cooling: 450W and something akin to Antec Sonata. Why? Because different people who sound highly knowledgable and credible keep saying that.

5) MB and Graphics? Clueless. (Asus etc. I'm sure would be fine.) MB should just work with the above, and I merely need to be able to read the small print and see all the little virtual keys, buttons, knobs, and faders with a video card that's as quiet and unobtrusive as possible. I've read that gaming rigs are loud, and that advanced graphics would be- for a DAW- pointlessly resource intensive.

6) Internet or Home Intranet? No. I can download whatever with my gen purpose Dell, AV scan & burn. Simple like that.

7) Buy or build? I like everything about building: The fun, the learning curve, the absence of anything proprietary, OEM etc., EXCEPT this: I'm not tech savvy, have limited $, and literally can't afford to #### this one up. Half of me says: If I do my homework, be careful, avail myself of the help on forums like this... but the other half says: While I might be enchanted by the by the idea of the building process, I really just want to make music. I'm thinking about a Precision 380, maybe, or several places like adkproaudio, but I'm torn in half.

Calaverasgrandes, your comment on drivers and hardware is interesting. I know that my Delta 66 only gives me low latency with Sonar 3SE and DXi or VSTis when I use a certain ASIO driver. But when I open Adobe Audition- which doesn't support ASIO- as a plug through Sonar it works just fine, too. I suppose it must be WDM, but I'm not sure. I don't understand drivers, except that if you install a bad one your computer goes into temporary cardiac arrest.

Hope I'm at least thinking on a right track. If I'm seriously wrong or flawed, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Michael

kellog
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/13 02:13:46 (permalink)
    I have noticed huge differences in latency with different drivers on the same system. Check around the forums at a manufacturers site about a product befoer you buy. Takes all the fun out if it! But arent we all just trying to make music and stop fighting computers!

I totally agree calaverasgrandes. If Intel’s were “bad” there wouldn’t be so many happy people using them. My old P-III flip chip is still working remarkably well, and I still use a P-II 350 with Pro Audio 9 for audio view editing sometimes. Also, when I looked at dual core Intel chips, they seemed priced well below AMD’s – but I had already made a decision to go with AMD.

About these drivers now… you mean WDM vs. ASIO, or drivers for the actual cards? It’s been frustrating for me to be in the middle of a move and not have my good audio cards and keyboard to practice with. I built my new DAW as a much needed diversion from stress, and I needed a new one anyway. I was under the impression that it was best to buy as much CPU horsepower as you could afford for soft synths. Like Michael, I’d like to run several of these, mixed with audio, and have at least a few effects going without dropout hassles and such. Also, with some expansion room. If you’re talking about the drivers for the cards, that brings up a whole new can of worms to consider. I’ve never had problems with Delta using WDM, but I hear ASIO is better with them. I’m also looking at a Presonus Firebox 1394. USB looks flakey from what I’ve read so far.

Thoughts?

kellog
    Quasar
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/13 21:40:31 (permalink)
    Hey kellog,

A discussion about drivers would be cool. All I know about my Delta 66 driver is that it's "digitally unsigned" and Windows yells at you and threatens you when you try to install it, but you just bravely do it anyway anmd then it works fine. Then you can open up a soft synth and find all these driver options... haven't even messed with it for a long time because I don't want to ruin what I've got. I just remember that there was one ASIO that worked pretty well, and I have 5ms- I think- of latency.

You ever find your 49 key controller? Let us know how it works out.

Michael
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/13 22:02:25 (permalink)
    but for a Joe Average working stiff like me on a budget, how can I really "know" where the potentially affordable sweet spot is? Would it be better to save for a couple of months and get the duel-core? What about hyperthreading? At what point do features amount to hype and overkill? What happens when you give a 64 bit can of gas and a match to a guy with a 32 bit brain? Or vice versa?

The sweet spot is when it doesn't interfere with your creativity...which means many people can get by with tons less but don't because of gear lust. Dual Core potential is huge...I'm thinking that will be my next purchase step. Hyperthreading is good, but has problems with some plugins. As for what happens to guys who jump in over there heads...I don't know...some learn to fly, others learn to fall.

I absolutely cannot even BEGIN to think about RAID 0 vs. RAID 1 and compose music at the same time.

Raid doesn't seem to help...I would try a better insecticide.

So how can I learn what it is that I really can both afford and use, and how would I know it when I see it?

Knowing what you can afford to use is easy...look at your wallet, then look at the return on your expense...that will tell you if it is worth it or not.
    kellog
    RE: A Fundamental Question behind all my Questions 2005/10/13 22:35:02 (permalink)
    Howdy Michael. Yeah, I think I’ll get an E-MU 49 X board, but haven’t had time to check them out. Seems like a good deal though.

The only drivers I’m aware of are WDM and ASIO – there is ASIO 2 now also, but I need to research this. So, I was curious when people start mentioning using different drivers and performance. I have almost no experience with soft synths at all, and I’m sure I was using WDM at the time. I’ll have to wait until I get back to my other machines so I can install my 1010 card I suppose. What options are you seeing in your soft synth menus? The driver install for M-Audio has always been non-certified as long as I can remember. I believe I was using it with MME in Windows 98 at first.

Card driver issues I was mentioning (and had little considered before) were about Tascam’s US-122, which I hear crash often for Cakewalk users – not all though. Steering clear from that hassle, and USB in general has a bad rap in driver speak, I was looking at a Firewire interface, which gets good feedback. I had settled on the Presonus Firebox, until Presonus says it has driver problems with ATI chipsets, mostly 9000’s and such – mine is a ATI Radeon IGP 320M. So now I have to check to see about that not working. I’d like to find an audio card that won’t crash, click, or pop, and would allow me to record two tracks of audio with my eMachines M5305. It doesn’t do too bad for most stuff, but it is a humble box. I was just hoping to use it for sketches, light editing, and recording at the coffee house. I’ll have to get an ASUS I guess. What a pain. I’ll go study up on drivers now…

Take care!

kellog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1