EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS

Author
ALSKI
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/10/12 06:59:14 (permalink)

EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS

Hi I am new to the forum so i hope that you have some patience.i am thinking of buying PRO 5 Soon.just one quick question .is there a way to easily export every track to another application without having to do each track individually?also what would be the best way to use one shots in a song?thanks.

12 Replies Related Threads

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 08:28:20 (permalink)
    Hi ALSKI, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid you'll have to export them individually. As to your second question, then it sounds like the groove matrix that comes with p5 2 is what you're looking for. It allows you to trigger any combination of tracks during a song and one shot is one of the available options. Hope that helps you.
    post edited by blipp - 2005/10/12 08:38:47
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 10:48:36 (permalink)
    you can also use Rewire in Rewire-compatible hosts

ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 10:53:24 (permalink)
    Like blipp and aggie said.

An additional thing you might want to consider which was not immediately clear to me is that you can use track layers to "pad" the wav files so that parts that don't start at measure 1, beat 1, come in on time. When you use track layers, the wav files are basically "left justified" if that makes sense.

Eric
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 15:22:29 (permalink)
    I often start my ideas in P5, then import the wavs into Sonar to add recorded audio. I've never been happy with Rewire, so this works and is not a lot of work really. Also, I submix some things down to one wav in P5 before exporting (like all the drums and percussion, for instance). This keeps things tidy in Sonar, cutting down on the amount of wavs to import.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 15:54:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamester

I often start my ideas in P5, then import the wavs into Sonar to add recorded audio. I've never been happy with Rewire, so this works and is not a lot of work really. Also, I submix some things down to one wav in P5 before exporting (like all the drums and percussion, for instance). This keeps things tidy in Sonar, cutting down on the amount of wavs to import.

Nothin' against jamester or other sonarites here, but it always makes me laugh inside when I see posts like this. To me, it seems like having Sonar is such a handicap!
    I mean, once they get spoiled with that app, they just can't use P5 in a comprehensive way from start to finish. Does ANYONE with Sonar use P5 from start to finish? Then again, I suppose why would you? If Sonar has better mixing features I'd be tempted to finish in Sonar at least for mastering...but I'd still do the whole project in P5.

Wouldn't I? What's so great about this Sonar you speak of? Is it really a lot more comprehensive than P5 or does it just do the same thing but differently. Is the learning curve twice as steep? (or more?)

Just curious.
    amac
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 16:01:45 (permalink)
    If I had started with P5 I would have been content once they added audio, but I have been a long time Sonar user and the audio editing features are much better. P5 brought back some creativity for me, but I like editing audio in Sonar, lots more tools. Yes I have done some stuff start to finish in P5......b ut If I really need to manipulate the audio, Sonar is the answer for me.
    Digital Aura
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 16:10:14 (permalink)
    thats what I thought, Al!

Good to see you again man.
    amac
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 16:29:54 (permalink)
    Good to see you to. I'm usually around here absorbing the knowledge, but I don't speak much. I'm digesting sonar5 and moving my stuff to a new computer. The stuff I got retail packages for transfer easily, but things (like z3ta+) that I downloaded are a bit more trouble. Been checking in on forum tracks lately...great stuff out there. I'm having trouble now moving dr-008....but I really like bfd better....but I own dr008 and $ are cooked...Dimension and z3ta+ are mainstays with me.

Love this forum for a heads up on vst's to try.

This morning I did 14 loop takes of "as time goes bye" on solo guitar trying out sonar5 track forder loop record method..got a lot of tracks down and didn't like any of them...but it was FUN.

later
    al
    Digital Aura
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 16:35:37 (permalink)
    well...I confess I've been tempted to try the SONAR demo. I just don't know what it could possibly offer me that I'm not already happy with in P5, other than the mixing and routing.

I guess I could read up on it and see. No harm in looking is there?
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 16:48:46 (permalink)
    I have a few reasons for why I do it this way, actually.

First, P5 is a resource hog on my machine - a handful of Acid loops will easily put me over 10%, which is ridiculous. Add a Dimension and some audio, and before I know it I'm over 50% and if I want to keep recording I have to raise my latency settings. In Sonar, I don't think I've ever gone over 35%, no matter how huge the project. I've done many side-by-sides, and these results have been consistent.

Second, Amplitube absolutely refuses to play nice with P5, but I have no problems with it in Sonar. In P5 my settings don't save, and if I freeze a track, upon un-freeze all hell breaks loose! So recording guitar in P5 is no fun at all.

Sonar is just way better for recording audio, imho. And I can't stand not having volume/pan envelopes...P5's automation doesn't do it for me at all! This could be remedied slightly with a hot-button to open a wav in an outside editor...but P5 doesn't have that either! (Sonar does) And of course, the unlimited mixing/bussing/routing options Sonar has...

There are more reasons I'm sure, but those are the biggies. I love P5, and was hoping that it would indeed be a "Sonar killer" for my solo work...but it's not. It's great for some things, lacking for others. But that's true of every software, right?

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    ucacjbs
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 17:07:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamester

And I can't stand not having volume/pan envelopes...P5's automation doesn't do it for me at all!

That's an interesting comment - and on the track basis I completely agree. P5's pencil approach for drawing track automation is way too fiddly (even with the shift-click straight line drawing method), which is why I resort to HomeStudio to mix, that and HS will work in full duplex mode with my control surface which leads to a certain geek-thrill that mouse-mixing just doesn't have for me. So far I've exercised uncharacteristic restraint and managed not to buy Sonar, but clip mutes and better bussing are beginning to weaken my resolve.

On the other hand, P5's pattern-based automation is just great, and much easier to use for fine note-level MIDI CC fiddling than the equivalent in the Sonar/HS piano roll view. I think it's a matter of scale. For track-level automation, having nice parametric envolopes to enforce gradual changes is good. At the note/pattern level, the pencil approach to drawing in automation feels better to me, and although you have that option in Sonar/HS, the implementation is not nearly as easy to work with as P5's pattern editor.
    amac
    RE: EXPORTING AUDIO TRACKS 2005/10/12 18:37:03 (permalink)
    Instant control surface support, track folders, the way I can shoot out to sound forge, redraw a clip, or pound it with a wave hammer and then shoot the result to sonar (that hot button external wave editor thing jamester was talking about) Track folders, track groups, busses galore, there are a lot of reasons.

I think the demo would be worth a try, or you might watch one of the video promos they have on sonar5...can't hurt mutch but the pocket.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1