Unsure about S5 serial #/reg #

Author
tonester
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 823
2005/10/12 09:12:16 (permalink)

Unsure about S5 serial #/reg #

Hi:

I purchased the upgrade to Sonar 5 PE, and I'm not sure how the serial number works. Apparently Cake is supposed to e-mail me the serial number, right? I haven't received word that they've shipped yet, only confirmation of my order. I ordered it about a week ago.
I'm assuming that those of you who are upgrading and recieved the package have gotten serial numbers in a reasonable time frame?

Thanks,

Tony
www.livesayrox.com

13 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/12 09:14:40 (permalink)
    about two days before i received shipment, i got an email with the serial
    and registration numbers.

jeff
    Mike Fisher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1374
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/12 09:16:16 (permalink)
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum regarding this issue.
    RonsZound
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/12 11:46:37 (permalink)
    This Sonar5 PE serial number/registration process is confusing me a bit as well. I read the sticky note and fully expected to get an email with the SN and Reg#, either before or after I received the product. However, yesterday Sonar was delivered and much to my surprise the serial number was written down on a label on the inside of the DVD. The label has a space to hand write in the email, which was used to register the product and the registration number that provided after going through an online registration process.

I don't mind this, cause I think send serial numbers through the email is a bad business model. But, what am I supposed to do? Should I wait a couple of days for an email with the info that the sticky notes says I should get. Or, should I go ahead and do a regular registration, like I've done with every other version of Sonar?

Seems like Cake is abandoning the new registration process.

Any thoughts,
    Ron
    Tomcat
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/12 15:28:23 (permalink)
    Interesting! I recieved my copy of Sonar 5 about 1:30 PM yesterday and had to wait a little bit before getting to it. Then about 2:30 PM I started to install it and NO SERIAL NUMBER!!!! NO NOTHING!!! So I came into the computer that's online (my DAW is not on line) and lo and behold, there was an email from Cakewalk with both my serial number AND my registration number, so I printed that email and went back into my studio and installed and registered my Sonar 5 all at the same time.

Sonar 4PE & 5PE, Athlon 64 dual core 4400+, 4 gigs ram, 1x80 gig OS HD, 1x80 gig Project HD, 1x300 gig Storage/Sample HD, 1x250 gig external archive HD, Korg Trinity V3, Yamaha Tyros I, Roland Fantom XR module with all 6 SRX card slots filled
    Tombo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/12 16:25:31 (permalink)
    I didn't get mine, and still don't have it. I am operating on a "temporary" number that I received from Cakewalk sales. Weird. I will call again today.

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    SiriusLiMusic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/12 20:35:52 (permalink)
    I got mine yesterday and I too found a sticker on the inside of the case with the S/N. After registering with cakewalk via the web, I got the reg. # email 10 seconds later, no hassle. Hopefully all future shipments will be like this, and this easy. The other way sounds like a real PITA.
    RonsZound
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/12 23:30:35 (permalink)
    I got mine yesterday and I too found a sticker on the inside of the case with the S/N. After registering with cakewalk via the web, I got the reg. # email 10 seconds later, no hassle. Hopefully all future shipments will be like this, and this easy. The other way sounds like a real PITA.

Gotta agree!!! I'm going to register tonight via the web instead of waiting like the sticky note says we should do.

Ron
    Mike Fisher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1374
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/13 00:11:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RonsZound

Gotta agree!!! I'm going to register tonight via the web instead of waiting like the sticky note says we should do.

Yep...it sounds like they've altered their procedure.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/13 00:32:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Tomcat

Interesting! I recieved my copy of Sonar 5 about 1:30 PM yesterday and had to wait a little bit before getting to it. Then about 2:30 PM I started to install it and NO SERIAL NUMBER!!!! NO NOTHING!!! So I came into the computer that's online (my DAW is not on line) and lo and behold, there was an email from Cakewalk with both my serial number AND my registration number, so I printed that email and went back into my studio and installed and registered my Sonar 5 all at the same time.

Your Sonar 5 SERIAL number allows you to INSTALL Sonar, but it will only run for 30 days, unless you also register it and then enter the REGISTRATION number that cakewalk sends you once you register the product.

I *think* that this is how it works:

People who get a boxed, RETAIL version of Sonar get a DVD that includes the serial number, but not the registration number. They can take it it home and install it, but it will expire in a month if they don't register it. Once you register it, the registration number basically gets spit out instantly, I'm pretty sure.

People who bought an UPGRADE version (a shrinkwrapped book and DVD, sans box--i.e. the "online" version) get a DVD with NEITHER the serial # nor the registration #. Cakewalk instead automatically "pre-registers" your copy of Sonar and sends BOTH numbers to your email address when the product ships (although a few pwople have had delays in this, apparently). You enter both and you're good to go forever and ever amen. If, for whatever reason, you did not get the email (because of spam filters, cakewalk error, or user error), then you need to contact cakewalk and GET those numbers before you can even install Sonar.

FWIW, I think this a brilliant scheme. It is just enough to discourage casual or "accidental" pirates (someone who takes home a copy of Sonar from school or work to "try it out", for instance), yet easy enough to not punish legitimate users. Cakewalk has always been supremely cool in this regard.

Cheers.

RonsZound
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/13 00:57:22 (permalink)
    People who bought an UPGRADE version (a shrinkwrapped book and DVD, sans box--i.e. the "online" version) get a DVD with NEITHER the serial # nor the registration #.

That's what I thought until I received my upgraded shrinked wrapped version of Sonar5PE in the mail with a serial number. Not complaining, just was a little surprised.

Ron
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/13 01:33:40 (permalink)
    That's interesting. I ordered S5 today and IMMEDIATELY received my serial/reg # via email. It happened not even five minutes after I submitted my order (via Cake's site).

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Lona69
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/13 02:21:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ...wicked

That's interesting. I ordered S5 today and IMMEDIATELY received my serial/reg # via email. It happened not even five minutes after I submitted my order (via Cake's site).

Same here....only took 5 minutes and my email was here. BUT I think thats because I upgraded from 4.0.3
    GH

Daddy,couldnt format drive A, so I formatted C instead
    nassiball
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Unsure about S5 serial #/reg # 2005/10/14 15:20:14 (permalink)
    Well email serial numbers are sent from
    noreply@cakewalk.com
    That really sets spam filter alarm bells off.
    I think Cakewalk should fix that sender address!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1