Perfect Space as an amp simulator

Author
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2005/10/13 11:28:18 (permalink)

Perfect Space as an amp simulator

Hi all
Just a quick tip for using perfect space, and this may be old hat to some, in fact, it may have been the point all along, but it's new to me and so I thought I'd throw it up here for others. I've been using various sampled bass guitars for a while for projects where I didn't have an actual bass player. Lately I've been using UBK in Kontakt2 and sending those direct mic'd samples to an amp simulator (Nigel, et. al), but have always been somewhat underwhelmed with the results. For me, sampled basses have always lacked a sense of three dimensionality...it always sounds too much like the bass guitar was sitting squarely on my forehead instead of having a warm open sound...it just always sounded a bit too present. Last night I was playing with some scratchpad composition stuff and decided to drop perfect space on a bass guitar line just for a little ambience and noticed they had bass cab impulses. Till now I had always wondered what they were possibly for, but last night I put it on just for kicks. I threw it on, killed the dry signal entirely and *poof*, it sounded like a mic'd cab! Its sonic qualities were changed entirely! I added a bit of offset because the impulse seemed to have a bit of a pre-delay, threw on an LA2A, EQ, and a little ambient reverb (UAD Plate) and got probably closer than I've ever been to a live bass guitar sound without actually having one. It leaves my various amp sim's completely behind.

Now, at this point some folks are probably saying "nice work Einstein, what did you think they were there for?", (and in hindsight, they're probably right...not the first time I've been a little slow) but I had never thought of using a reverb as a replacement for an amp sim, and so perhaps maybe others haven't either....then again, maybe I should begin cohabitating with chimps to be among my intellectual equals :)

Anyway, if ya haven't yet, give it a try, it's pretty cool.

Good luck
Dean

www.broadjam.com/deanwinter

21 Replies Related Threads

Tombo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 11:44:31 (permalink)
    It's a good idea, that a lot of folks might not be aware of, so I, for one, think it is a good discussion. I use impulses from the Manley Vox Box (sometimes) in this way, as well as cabinet impulses. I find it often really important to fine tune the wet/dry mix and eq the impulse itself, but like you, I get good results.

Best,

MKP

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    wandersen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 194
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 12:41:53 (permalink)
    Cool idea! Cheers.

ORIGINAL: Razorwit

Hi all
    Just a quick tip for using perfect space, and this may be old hat to some, in fact, it may have been the point all along, but it's new to me and so I thought I'd throw it up here for others. I've been using various sampled bass guitars for a while for projects where I didn't have an actual bass player. Lately I've been using UBK in Kontakt2 and sending those direct mic'd samples to an amp simulator (Nigel, et. al), but have always been somewhat underwhelmed with the results. For me, sampled basses have always lacked a sense of three dimensionality...it always sounds too much like the bass guitar was sitting squarely on my forehead instead of having a warm open sound...it just always sounded a bit too present. Last night I was playing with some scratchpad composition stuff and decided to drop perfect space on a bass guitar line just for a little ambience and noticed they had bass cab impulses. Till now I had always wondered what they were possibly for, but last night I put it on just for kicks. I threw it on, killed the dry signal entirely and *poof*, it sounded like a mic'd cab! Its sonic qualities were changed entirely! I added a bit of offset because the impulse seemed to have a bit of a pre-delay, threw on an LA2A, EQ, and a little ambient reverb (UAD Plate) and got probably closer than I've ever been to a live bass guitar sound without actually having one. It leaves my various amp sim's completely behind.

Now, at this point some folks are probably saying "nice work Einstein, what did you think they were there for?", (and in hindsight, they're probably right...not the first time I've been a little slow) but I had never thought of using a reverb as a replacement for an amp sim, and so perhaps maybe others haven't either....then again, maybe I should begin cohabitating with chimps to be among my intellectual equals :)

Anyway, if ya haven't yet, give it a try, it's pretty cool.

Good luck
    Dean

www.broadjam.com/deanwinter

Bill Andersen (wandersen)
    http://www.LizCoxMusic.com

WinXP Pro SP2 | E6400 Core 2 Duo: 2.4ghz (oc'd to 2.82ghz) | ASROCK 775Dual-VSTA | 2GB | MOTU 2408 Mk3| 4 - UAD-1 cards in a Avid-Magma 7 slot chassis | UAD v4.7.1 | TranzPort | | SONAR 5.2
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 13:18:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to keep this in mind for adding "fresh air" to anything that's too "in your face". Just never thought about bass being that way (or even kick drum, I suppose, maybe, sometimes...).

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    CapnSpanky
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 13:31:01 (permalink)
    I've wondered whether the Impulse Response / Convolution technology will lead to better guitar amp modeling in the future. I beleive that Wave GTR uses it in some way.

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    From the Planet Screwball
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 14:09:38 (permalink)
    Not that I *really* understand how this stuff works, but, I believe that convolution can be used to emulate reverb, compressors, amps, etc etc. It is a little more CPU intensive than other technologies, which may be why it's not used on anything and everything...yet.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 15:02:19 (permalink)
    I love when folks post example .mp3s on these types of topics (hint, hint for Tombo and Razorwit)!
    Tombo
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 15:28:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: M

I love when folks post example .mp3s on these types of topics (hint, hint for Tombo and Razorwit)!

I actually did that in the 32-bit export thread. I am at work right now, so I don't have a lot of options.

If you go to the site in my sig, and listen to the opening guitar on any of the "If Only" mixes, there is a little bit of electric guitar cabinet impulse on the ACOUSTIC. Otherwise, that acoustic track is really straightforward: dual mics (Royer 121 and MXL 992) and a Presonus Eureka pre. From here, I can't post a version without the effect. . Also, the Main "If Only", not the live drum or Ian Rushton versions, there is a Manley Vox Box Impulse on the vocal. The other two don't have it. The live drums one on my SoundClick site has an hardware exciter on the BG vocals, but other than that, straight vocal.

The vocal on "Let's Fall" is a Lexicon vocal plate impulse through Voxengo Pristine Space Light, and the guitar goes through another e-guitar cabinet impulse...I forget which. It is a unique sound, and I need to add strings and a pad to that arrangement, so it might not be your cup of tea for in-your-face acoustic, but it is intentional because more is coming.

Oh yeah! The bass on "Secrets"—top of the page—is run through a Fender Bassman impulse with a 1176 right AFTER it.

Added later: you want to watch out for overdoing this technique. I highly recommend soloing the track(s) that you use this approach on, and checking for unwanted distortion, also using your impulse verb controls (like EQ and stereo width, etc.) to make adjustments where necessary.
    post edited by Tombo - 2005/10/13 15:41:47

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    losguy
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 15:32:16 (permalink)
    Someone clarify this if I'm wrong, but convolution is a linear, time-invariant process, meaning in principle that it can't model nonlinear things like compresion and distortion, nor can it model time-varying things like modulators/flangers. Do teh convolution plugins have "extra" stuff added to make them do more than reverbs, spaces, and filters?

Razorwit
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 15:40:12 (permalink)

Hey M,
    I'll see what I can do a bit later tonight.

Dean
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 16:16:49 (permalink)
    Dean!

you'll be Einstein and I'll be the monkey. That's a good tip. I'd never check that out... at least not yet. It sure sounds damn nice. Thanks
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 16:26:22 (permalink)
    I guess most people know that all the impulses on the noise vault work with PerfectSpace.

http://www.noisevault.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29

Lots of great stuff there by cAPSLOCK !

Max Arwood
    M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 17:13:18 (permalink)
    Dean & Tombo,

Cool, guys! I'll do some listening! Thanks!

[on edit]Interesting, Tombo. Liked the bass sound on Secrets. Liked the acoustic on Susan in the Fall.
    post edited by M - 2005/10/13 18:23:20
    mewsicknerd
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 18:21:57 (permalink)
    It is all convolution.

If you want a multitap delay, you just of an impulse responce which has n peaks, all the
    rest 0. The height of each peak would be the volume of the tap.

You could do a phaser, or a tone control as well. What you don't have is modulation, for flange and chorus. Like a band pass, low pass, high pass filter.

It's **ALL** convolution. The only difference is infinite impulse (i.e. feedback) and dynamic modifications to the transfer function, like you would want with flange and chorus.

Razorwit
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 19:49:34 (permalink)
    OK, as requested I've posted a couple of examples of using perfect space as an pseudo-amp sim. Go to http://www.aros.net/~razorwit and you'll see four wav files (cause mp3's aren't as cool...don't worry, they're relatively small). Two of the files are played with UBK/Kontakt2 (one with perfect space and one without) and two are an actual real live bass player going direct in (again, one with PF and one without). A couple of notes:

All samples are completely dry with the execption of the additition of PerfectSpace on the specified files. No comp, EQ, ambient verb etc. This means they're going to sound...um...well...dry :)

The sampled bass was done with no regard to performance realism...it's just me playing 8ths on my keyboard and sounds like it.

Live bass stuff was recorded with a 6 string (some German manufacturer...I forget what the player told me) going direct into a focusrite pre and then into a MOTU 896HD. In my opinion the live bass was affected by the addition of perfect space less than the sampled version, but I still like the improvements. YMMV.

You should theoretically be able to achieve the same effected results I did by importing the dry samples into Sonar and adding PF with one of the included bass cab impulses and using a completely wet signal. In fact, there's probably an interesting test of Sonars rendering engine somewhere in that process but I don't wanna think that hard about it right now.

Ya probably wanna right click and download instead of stream....wav's don't stream very well across WAN links.

Have fun
    Dean

Quasar
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 21:07:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Razorwit

For me, sampled basses have always lacked a sense of three dimensionality...it always sounds too much like the bass guitar was sitting squarely on my forehead instead of having a warm open sound...

You just articulated better than I exactly how I've felt about sampled bass sounds. Thanks for the tip.

---

Just listened to the samples.WOW! Thanks again.
    post edited by Quasar - 2005/10/13 21:22:52
    Spinedoc
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 22:00:00 (permalink)
    I am fond of my line 6 pods sounds. If I have a amp/cab tone dialed up on my pod with the pods distortion as well, can I sample this and convert to an impulse? Would it sound virtually identical if I play the DI back thru perfect space with the impulse? I realize that the distortion would be "hardwired" into the impulse and thus not tweakable, But to have a bunch of the pod's presets as plugins would be fantastic.
    Razorwit
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 22:30:13 (permalink)
    Hm....dunno if you can impulse POD's...then again, I'm not tremendously familiar with impulse creation methods except for the fact that they ususally use lots of mic's and a starter pistol in the case of actual rooms. It'd be pretty cool if ya could though, I have a POD Pro :)

Dean
    losguy
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/13 22:31:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Spinedoc
    I am fond of my line 6 pods sounds. If I have a amp/cab tone dialed up on my pod with the pods distortion as well, can I sample this and convert to an impulse? Would it sound virtually identical if I play the DI back thru perfect space with the impulse? I realize that the distortion would be "hardwired" into the impulse and thus not tweakable, But to have a bunch of the pod's presets as plugins would be fantastic.

You have to figure out how to get an impulse into it. Try shooting it with a 0.22 handgun. BAM! Oops... I meant using blanks.

There is a clever piece of software called a Deconvolver which IIUC can accomplish the same thing using white noise instead of a gunshot. It's less violent, but more complicated to use.

Regardless, umless I'm badly mistaken, you won't be able to capture the distortion, just the "EQ" and "reverb" and "space" of the box. Edit: The cab simulator falls into that "capturable" category.

post edited by losguy - 2005/10/13 22:40:23

Tombo
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/14 10:35:45 (permalink)

Dean & Tombo,

Cool, guys! I'll do some listening! Thanks!

[on edit]Interesting, Tombo. Liked the bass sound on Secrets. Liked the acoustic on Susan in the Fall.

Thanks, M! I will be back later to give some of your stuff a listen.

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

mewsicknerd
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/14 21:04:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spinedoc

Well, the impulse responce that you need to sample would have to be a string of zeros followed by a single "1" followed by a string of zeros. Not anything that you would play.
    IIRC in theory you could sample a pure sine wave, but you would have to do some
    really fancy pants correction to remove the harmonic content of the sine wave from the responce. If your pod had a digital input, it would be easy. But this all depends on the POD using a fixed transfer function, and not something that morphs dynamically based upon content.
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Perfect Space as an amp simulator 2005/10/14 21:25:39 (permalink)
    Woah! I finally got a chance to try out the cabinet simulations. I can't believe what a difference they make. I had a little project I hadn't fooled with that much as far a mixing. The bass was too in your face. I put a cabinet simulation impulse on it and instantly it gelled with the guitars. This is going to be good.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1