Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency...

Author
TweakFreq
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2005/10/14 02:21:43 (permalink)

Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency...

Has anyone else experienced latency issues with UAD-1 PPI's in Sonar 4? Especially when sending tracks with UAD-1 plugins to a sub bus with UAD-1 plugins? In my experience, it happens all of the time but is considerably worse when using busses. I have gone to great expense trying to eliminate the latency problems as well as the unusual audio artifacts that were related to the UAD-1. I have even completely rebuilt my DAW with like components. New Mobo, CPU's, RAM and UAD-1s. I only spent that money because we are building a second studio and I have read great reviews on this DAW configuration in other forums. If I had to I could piece out the components on ebay and get most of my money back. I am running an Asus NCCH-DL dual 3.0 Xeon Nocona Mobo w/ 2GB DDR 400 2-2-2-5 RAM, WD 74GB Raptor SATA hard drives and 4 UAD-1's in a Magma chassis. My audio interfaces are the MOTU 2408 Mk3 core and a MOTU 24i/o expansion. I have my XP Pro OS running bare minimum services and I have tweaked the PCI latency reducing the priority of the video card and increasing the MOTU and UAD-1's to top priority. I have tried different PCI slot configurations and I have verified that the audio cards are not sharing IRQ's. I have updated all drivers and firmware to the latest versions. I have disabled all unnecessary on board devices. I did have to re-enable the onboard NIC because the Magma cards would not work otherwise for some freaky reason. I have disabled hyperthreading in the bios. I have flashed the bios to the latest rev. I have tried every possible configuration of buffer settings in my ASIO panel as well as the Sonar Audio/Advanced settings. The best UAD-1 latency results is with MOTU buffers set at 512 and Sonar buffers set at 128. The best Sonar CPU and Disk meter results is with MOTU buffers at 1024 and Sonar buffers at 160. UA tech's suggested a Magma PCI expansion chassis so I bought one. It definitely resolved all of the issues that I was having except for the latency issue. I absolutely can not use the UAD-1 PPI's on any drum tracks because the latency is way too obvious on percussion tracks. I've read other posts in other forums of people with my same setup that say their systems are rock solid. Cakewalk techs and UA techs both say that Sonar has built in latency compensation and that this problem should not be happening. I love the quality and authenticity of these UAD-1 PPI's. Surely there is a way to make this work. I really don't want to give them up. Any suggestions other than burning all of my gear? Thanks...
post edited by TweakFreq - 2005/10/14 03:29:29

Audios...

Check us out at:
www.musicpipeline.com
www.charityrecords.com

12 Replies Related Threads

tombuur
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 02:43:30 (permalink)
    Can't reply to a specific question about latency, but I am one of those who had serious problems with Sonar 4 and UAD-1. So much that a switched to Cubase SX3 back in the Spring. No problems there. However, UAD-1 v.3.9 and Sonar 4.03 improved matters. Previously I was not able to loop with particularly Pultecs inserted (occasional crash), this software change cured that. Still there was some noise at the start of each loop.

Now with UAD-1 v.4.0 and Sonar 5 even this looping noise has gone. I have only used this for a couple of days, so these are preliminary tests. And don't blame me if Sonar 5 doesn't cure your problem.
    TweakFreq
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 03:26:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply. I thought about getting the S5 upgrade but I have read some posts that indicate that it is a lot more CPU intensive. Is that your experience as well?

Audios...

Check us out at:
    www.musicpipeline.com
    www.charityrecords.com
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 07:59:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TweakFreq
    I absolutely can not use the UAD-1 PPI's on any drum tracks because the latency is way too obvious on percussion tracks.

Are you saying that you are trying to route existing, already recorded drums tracks, to a bus with UAD-1's plugins and SONAR's PDC is not working. You are trying to mix exisiting tracks right? SONAR will automatically compensate for the latency of previously recorded tracks, but there will always be an inherent latency when recording new tracks and using imput monitoring and FX plugins. Especially in the case, of the UAD-1, it will be twice the project latency, because the audio has to go out to the DSP card and then back to the DAW which does not make it conducive to tracking, unless you can set your DAW up at super a low latency (1.5msec or less), to begin with. Even at 1.5msec you are going to have a 3msec delay. UA specifically designed the UAD-1 to be used to upgrade your mixes and not for tracking. But with SONAR's PDC you should have no problem mixing your exisiting tracks with UAD-1 plugins. Trying to compensate for audio tracks as they are being recorded and using UAD-1 plugins, on the input is a whole different matter though.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

TweakFreq
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 13:07:08 (permalink)
    Yes, I am experiencing this problem while trying to mix existing tracks. We do most of our tracking at the Sound Emporium in Nashville and then do the mix downs and mastering at our studios in the Phoenix area. When we track, we monitor through analog with zero latency.

Audios...

Check us out at:
    www.musicpipeline.com
    www.charityrecords.com
    LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 13:25:28 (permalink)
    Make sure you are using the VST version drivers for the UAD-1 and wrap them with SONAR's latest version of their VST wrapper. DO NOT use the DX versions of the UAD-1 drivers.

I set my RME ASIO buffers at 1024 to mix, I have 3 UAD-1 cards in a MAGMA 7 slot chassis. I DO NOT track with UAD-1.......BAD MOJO.....MIX ONLY....but then you know that

LixiSoft
    LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 13:30:04 (permalink)
    Has anyone else experienced latency issues with UAD-1 PPI's in Sonar 4? Especially when sending tracks with UAD-1 plugins to a sub bus with UAD-1 plugins? In my experience, it happens all of the time but is considerably worse when using busses.

Do you have any other brand of plugins in this chain ? ...some plugs do not play well inserted between UAD1 plugins.

LixiSoft
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 13:39:33 (permalink)
    That is a really an odd problem, that I have not heard or experienced before. Yes, latency when tracking, using UAD-1 plugins, but not when mixing, using a host, like SONAR 4, with full auto PDC. Which UAD-1 versions are you using, VST or DX? Do you have the latest SONAR 4 and UAD-1 updates installed. It seems you have your DAW optimized and configured properly. Have you talked to UA or SONAR support since you got the magma installed concerning the current latency/PDC situation? Have you tried using just one of your UAD-1 cards? Place it in the PCI slot where you put the magma and see it if you still get the latency, on the drum bus tracks, using the plugins from the one card. If it works it could be a problem with the magma or maybe the MB PCI bus can't cope with 4 cards at one time. If it does not work, it is probably something in your DAW configuration that is not clicking with the UAD-1. Just thinking out loud here.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

dcmg
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 14:09:57 (permalink)
    I experienced that with SONAR4.02/UAD 3.08, especially noticable on drum tracks.

However, that particular combination was so problematic that latency was the least of my concerns (the export click/pop situation was killing me...)

S4.03/Uad 3.09 did not exhibit this, nor has the 4.04 patch ( very stable thus far).

Haven't applied the UAD 4.0 yet. I may not

One small detail: My worst UAD experiences occurred while having a dual partition ( one partition was a cloned OS meant for testing purposes).
    My UAD situation has been worlds better when I ditched that approach and kept only one OS resident . I may never know if that was a factor, but I've always suspected that may have played a part.....

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
    Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
    16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
    All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
    Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
    MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
    Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
    TweakFreq
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 19:51:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LixiSoft

Do you have any other brand of plugins in this chain ?

LixiSoft...Yes I do run many other brands of plugins as well. Of course their are hundreds of plugin combinations that could be put together but in the case of drum tracks its usually Waves gates and UAD-1 compressors in my mixes. What I actually prefer to do with a snare if the mix calls for it is to gate the track to clean it up and then bus it to a UAD-1 1176LN. Then I can pull the compressed signal up in the mix behind the original and mix between the two until it sounds right but that is totally out of the question because even if I have no plugins in the track, a UAD-1 plugin in a buss will always add latency. Sorry, I kind of chased a rabbit there but maybe it is valuable information because it will give you insight into my signal chain. I especially don't care for the gates in the UAD-1 plugins so I usually go with Waves if I need a gate. The UA tech told me that Waves plugins and the UAD-1 plugins do not play well together. He suggested that I render the track with the Waves plugin to a new track and then add the UAD-1 plugins to the rendered (bounced in Sonar terms) track. I tried that and it did not make any difference. I am also running the UAD-1's as VST's although I've tried both DirectX and VST and I have also tried WDM and ASIO. I'm currently running under ASIO with the best results. I'm really at a loss here. This system should be working. Maybe its something to do with the mobo and Sonar. Come to think of it, all of the great reviews of my harware configuration have been with software other than Sonar...but I love Sonar...I never had problems until I added the UAD-1's...but I love my LA-2A, 1176LN, Fairchild, Pultec and the list goes on...What to do?
    post edited by TweakFreq - 2005/10/14 20:21:18

Audios...

Check us out at:
    www.musicpipeline.com
    www.charityrecords.com
    TweakFreq
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 19:56:47 (permalink)
    Billy Buck...Thanks for brainstorming...Sounds like you are a veteran. I've been using Cakewalk since the original pro audio so I've been around the block too. I know that we are rehashing a lot of things but I appreciate the effort because it helps me to consider what I may have overlooked. Sometimes it's something right under your nose and you just need someone to help you focus. Thanks.
    post edited by TweakFreq - 2005/10/14 20:20:42

Audios...

Check us out at:
    www.musicpipeline.com
    www.charityrecords.com
    TweakFreq
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 20:07:07 (permalink)
    dcmg...My setup made horrendous audio noises, beeps, clicks, pops and garbled sounds until I moved the UAD-1's into a Magma chassis. The Magma chassis cured all of that. I'm running Sonar 4.0.3. I have not installed the 4.0.4 Sonar update. I plan to do that this weekend before my next session. I'm hoping for improvement. I did install the UAD-1 v4.0.0 this week and saw a marked improvement on meter usage but it did not help the latency issue. Thanks for your input. Every bit of information helps...

Audios...

Check us out at:
    www.musicpipeline.com
    www.charityrecords.com
    dcmg
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Sonar 4 Producer and UAD-1 Latency... 2005/10/14 21:01:55 (permalink)
    another bit of info:

I've had several instances recently where I've had live snare and a (drumagog'ed) triggered snare sitting side by side in the mix.
    I usually render the drumagog to an audio track, nudge it a bit so it's aligned with the original snare.

Anyhow....in mix I'll insert an 1176 on that triggered snare audio track, and the latency between it and the real live track is distracting.
    I always have to nudge that triggered snare ahead on the timeline to make it feel right with the live one. And that's just on a track level....

It almost sounds like you're doing a "NY compression" thang where you're mixing the compressed version with the clean one.
    The UAD latency may keep fighting you on that unless you render all elements to their own track and then nudge the UAD track to compensate for the latency.

Prolly not the workaround you were envisioning ...but it works.

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
    Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
    16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
    All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
    Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
    MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
    Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1