Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar

Author
Karl Engel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2005/10/14 05:07:41 (permalink)

Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar

I've just spent a few hours doing radio production on a Nuendo system with a controller, side by side with Sonar on my laptop - and while I prefer Sonar in some instances (and am quicker with it due to familiarity) there are some major points I've found in Nuendo's favour... unless more well-versed Sonar users can tell me how to do these things:

Quickly see the length of an audio clip in seconds
Stretch or compress a clip to a specific time by just grabbing the edges & dragging it to size
Make the gridlines line up to seconds when the ruler is in HMSF

Being able to get to EQ adjustments with the hit of a single button seems a big advantage too, rather than regarding EQ as another plug-in that has to be enabled on the track first, although I understand it really IS just another plug-in. I don't see a way to use key bindings to bring up audio effects to make this quicker.

Hitting stop a second time to bring the cursor back to the original start position on a controller is a big advantage too, when dubbing stuff into another system. I know Sonar does this by using Ctrl+Space, but once you've just stopped (with the spacebar) it's too late, and you have to re-find the start point again. Unless you set the default differently. I assume Sonar doesn't behave any differently with a controller.

However on the Nuendo system I really missed Sonar's ghost images of overlapping audio.

I didn't have time to test, but can anyone tell me if Nuendo/Cubase let you drag CD audio straight in to a project? I never seem to see this as a feature request for Sonar, so I guess most people aren't using it for jobs that require this frequently.

17 Replies Related Threads

neonknight
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 05:28:34 (permalink)
    I think in Cubase you have to import the CD tracks in the pool, and then you can drag them onto the audio tracks
    but seriously, you are comparing a 1500$ and a 600$ products, of course Nuendo will be more advanced in some features, especially for video production
    Gerry
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 861
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 05:55:09 (permalink)
    Apples for Apples and Pears for Pears. Sonar 5 is one hell of a lot of fruit for the price. Value for money I honestly do not think anything competes with Sonar but that is just my own opinion.
    I must admit I'm biased as after a few days with it I am over the moon and still haven't tapped into all its features and maybe never will.

Nuendo has more options, well if it didn't then something would be wrong at the price. Perhaps the real issue is how important those features are to you and not which application is better or worse.

Gerry
    post edited by Gerry - 2005/10/14 06:04:42

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
    http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Gerry
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 861
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 06:17:46 (permalink)
    Yes I agree it is LOL but so is a Mercedes 500 SL.
    post edited by Gerry - 2005/10/14 06:27:05

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
    http://www.gerrycooper.com/

GTBannah
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 08:14:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Karl Engel
    Hitting stop a second time to bring the cursor back to the original start position on a controller is a big advantage too, when dubbing stuff into another system.

F9 marks the "from" point, F10 marks the "thru" point. F7 and F8 take you to these points as often as you want, until you change them.
    Hope that helps.
    [

Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R MoBo, i7 2.8Gig CPU, 12Gig RAM
    Win 7 Ultimate 64; DIGI 002
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 08:20:46 (permalink)
    Being able to get to EQ adjustments with the hit of a single button seems a big advantage too, rather than regarding EQ as another plug-in that has to be enabled on the track first, although I understand it really IS just another plug-in. I don't see a way to use key bindings to bring up audio effects to make this quicker.

How is it different from the per-track EQ feature of Sonar PE? I have a hard time imagining EQ to be quicker or easier, but am willing to be surprised...
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 08:55:03 (permalink)

>>Quickly see the length of an audio clip in seconds
    CTRL-ENTER on a selected clip takes you to its properties. Or use the navigator view to get a visual if the clip in relation to the project if thats what you want.

>>Being able to get to EQ adjustments with the hit of a single button seems a big advantage too,

Use per track Eq in SONAR.

>>I know Sonar does this by using Ctrl+Space, but once you've just stopped (with the
    >>spacebar) it's too late, and you have to re-find the start point again.

SONAR allows you to rewind to the last play start time on stop. In Options | Global ensure that "On stop rewind to now marker" is checked.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 09:02:57 (permalink)
    Alt-Enter, not Ctrl-Enter to get clip properties.

Or set the View Options for that kind of clip so that double-click opens properties (right click in Track View, View Options)
    urock
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 09:06:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ubuntu

Absolutely gorgeous!
    v3.2 Mixer

I guess this just goes to show you can't please everyone with GUIs. I think it looks bad.

Best,

urock
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 09:56:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    >>Quickly see the length of an audio clip in seconds
    CTRL-ENTER on a selected clip takes you to its properties. Or use the navigator view to get a visual if the clip in relation to the project if thats what you want.

But how about being able to see the length of a selection? Like when I alt-drag a selection I often need to know how long that selection is.
    ORIGINAL: Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    >>I know Sonar does this by using Ctrl+Space, but once you've just stopped (with the
    >>spacebar) it's too late, and you have to re-find the start point again.

SONAR allows you to rewind to the last play start time on stop. In Options | Global ensure that "On stop rewind to now marker" is checked.

Sonar really needs some more transport and 'now time' options like pre- and post-roll. And not hiding the above feature in a dialog box--it's too hard to get to when you just want to switch to it for a couple of edits. That's really poor interaction design.
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 09:57:51 (permalink)
    I guess this just goes to show you can't please everyone with GUIs. I think it looks bad.

Same here...
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/14 10:58:34 (permalink)
    Stretch or compress a clip to a specific time by just grabbing the edges & dragging it to size

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

For radio production work this is probably the most glarring missing feature. I have asked for it in every version of SONAR since 2.2XL, but haven't gotten it yet. Make sure you fill out a Feature Request --- maybe a storm of requests will carry more weight than mine every year.

Right now, I adjust the length of my clips in Sound Forge and import them into SONAR, it's one additional step, but it's not too bad. This is the one-and-only feature that I miss from SAWplus32 --- but in that Bob Lentini GUI disaster it wasn't as intuitive as you describe, but then nothing was intuitive in any version of SAW.

Regards,
    David

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/15 00:07:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

For radio production work this is probably the most glarring missing feature. I have asked for it in every version of SONAR since 2.2XL, but haven't gotten it yet. Make sure you fill out a Feature Request --- maybe a storm of requests will carry more weight than mine every year.

Right now, I adjust the length of my clips in Sound Forge and import them into SONAR, it's one additional step, but it's not too bad. This is the one-and-only feature that I miss from SAWplus32 --- but in that Bob Lentini GUI disaster it wasn't as intuitive as you describe, but then nothing was intuitive in any version of SAW.

I use the technique of "grabbing the edges & dragging it to size" in Sony Vegas Video and it is indeed a really nice feature to have. I would also like to see the mouse wheel control to zoom in and out that Vegas/Acid has, because once I got used to working that way I found it very hard to switch back to Sonar...
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/15 01:04:02 (permalink)
    Hi Noel-

But SONAR still lacks a true Pause button. This has bugged many of us for a long time now -- any chance it will be addressed soon?

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/15 04:46:44 (permalink)
    I guess this just goes to show you can't please everyone with GUIs.

same here - i'm looking at that screenshot thinking "where IS everything??"

p

list of stuff
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/15 05:21:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: VariousArtist

quote:

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

I use the technique of "grabbing the edges & dragging it to size" in Sony Vegas Video and it is indeed a really nice feature to have. I would also like to see the mouse wheel control to zoom in and out that Vegas/Acid has, because once I got used to working that way I found it very hard to switch back to Sonar...

I would've thought the V-Vocal time-stretch would be much more useful. At least then you can stretch/pull any part of the wave - not just the ends which I assume is what the time-warp thingy does in nuendo.

Maybe cakewalk should've embedded V-Vocal a bit more tightly into the gui so people would realise how powerful it is ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    tombuur
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/15 06:36:39 (permalink)
    Just got S5 this week, and must admit I am a bit disappointed. Perhaps I will change my mind after getting to know it better, but this is my first impression. And now you mention it, the lacking time stretch/transpose features and time warp for adjustment of things like bass is what I miss the most comparing to Cubase SX3. Some can be done in V-vocal, but not as elegantly.

I also use my DAW for rehearsing covers I play with a band. Looping is great here. But in SX3 I can slow down, and even transpose the whole song somewhat. So in a few minutes I will go down and start up SX3 for rehearsing for tomorrow.

Otherwise I prefer Sonar. It is easier to use, and I don't think it is only a matter of familiarity. Sonar has found a more intuitive way of doing things, like clicking on the name of a plug-in, not on a button somewhere. Over at Cubase Forum they tell me this is ridiculous. Still, the first things that catches your eye is the name of the plug-in ... so why not reach for that?

BTW SX3 is largely similar to Nuendo when it comes to audio function, and the price compares to Sonar.
    post edited by tombuur - 2005/10/15 06:45:32
    vicsant
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1378
    RE: Twinge of disillusionment with Sonar 2005/10/15 07:13:21 (permalink)

But how about being able to see the length of a selection? Like when I alt-drag a selection I often need to know how long that selection is.

Yes! Sonar needs this feature!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1