SMPTE Offset

Author
Poco
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 746
2005/10/14 11:24:20 (permalink)

SMPTE Offset

I am importing broadcast waves into Sonar from a Tascam MX-2424. It seems that Sonar projects always assume that the H:M:S:F starting point is 0:0:0:0. A common practice when using the MX is to start projects at one hour (something about pre-roll traversing the 2400 hr. point causing problems - I think). The data imports properly, but I would like to be able to set the Sonar project start point at one hour so that dragging the horizontal slider, or clicking rewind takes me to the beginning of the imported material (the MX calls this the "head"). Is there any way to do this? In Adobe Audition this is called SMPTE Start Time Offset.

Thanks,

Poco

5 Replies Related Threads

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: SMPTE Offset 2005/10/14 12:52:26 (permalink)
    Options->Project->Clock: SMPTE/MTC offset
    SonicPadawan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: SMPTE Offset 2005/10/14 13:23:27 (permalink)
    I've used this but the behavior seems rather odd to me. While playing both the video burned timecode and the Sonar timecode are in sync (at least to start) but once stopped the Sonar timecode jumps to something seemingly bizarre and unrelated to its current position. I find that rather unhelpful if you're trying to find a specific location.

"By magic numbers and persuasive sound." - William Congreve
    Bob Damiano [Cakewalk]
    Test Me
    • Total Posts : 693
    RE: SMPTE Offset 2005/10/14 13:35:44 (permalink)
    See the Broadcast Wave options on the "Audio Data" tab of the Global Options.

Engineering,
    Cakewalk Music Software

LyricInspire.ORG - get your brain un-stuck and write better lyrics

Personal Site
    Music, Programming, Studio and SONAR Tutorials
    "These bits go to 2"
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: SMPTE Offset 2005/10/14 15:04:44 (permalink)
    I've used this but the behavior seems rather odd to me. While playing both the video burned timecode and the Sonar timecode are in sync (at least to start) but once stopped the Sonar timecode jumps to something seemingly bizarre and unrelated to its current position. I find that rather unhelpful if you're trying to find a specific location.

I've found something similar using full-quality DV video as well.
    I haven't managed to conclusivcely figure out what's going on yet, as soon as I do, I'll pass it on to cakewalk Tech support.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: SMPTE Offset 2005/10/14 16:07:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

I've found something similar using full-quality DV video as well.
    I haven't managed to conclusivcely figure out what's going on yet, as soon as I do, I'll pass it on to cakewalk Tech support.

Yeah, it's happened to me too--or something similar has. When we got a sorensen 3 quicktime that had been exported from Final Cut Pro on a mac with Quicktime 7, all sorts of strange things happened. Not just with Sonar, but other apps on the PC as well including quickime player.

I never could pin down what was going on though.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1