Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip

Author
ashrambler
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
2005/10/14 16:42:05 (permalink)

Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip

Last night I opened up a Sonar 4.x file I hadn't worked on in a while and re-recorded a new vocal track on an existing audio track basically replacing the old track audio. After recording the new part I attempted to move the vocal track 8 measures forward which went OK. I then tried hitting play and the track was silent. I then moved it back and it would play. Hmmm....never seen this......ever.

I then noticed a small green rectangle in the area of the track that displays decibel values. Not sure if it's related. I tried many things but couldn't get the track to play unless it was in the original spot. Finally, I tried creating a new audio track and I copied the audio to that track and everything plays back fine even if I move it around. Also, the little green rectangle didn't show up in this track either. Weird....

Anyone seen anything like this?

Brian
post edited by ashrambler - 2005/10/14 16:58:24

10 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 16:53:20 (permalink)
    I beleive you might have a layer soloed and you've pulled the clip into another lane. Click on the green rectangle and that should un-solo the lane.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    ashrambler
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 16:58:06 (permalink)
    OK, so that green rectangle wasn't a graphic anomaly. Hmmm, I'll have to check what you suggested. I thought I had checked everything in the track but maybe I missed something. Thanks, I guess I need to refresh on the tracks layers concepts.

Much appreciated!

Brian
    ashrambler
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 18:38:24 (permalink)
    I just rechecked and no, the green rectangle was some kind of bug or graphic anomaly because I now see what your talking about. The mute and solo rectangles were not showing. I definitely checked the track when it happened to make sure there was no other audio in the track. Just a solid green rectangle in that general area as the solo and mute rectangles. Again, moving the clip to anywhere in the track would cause it to not playback which was really strange. I'll be surprised if no one else sees this with an older file.

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 NForce 3 Ultra (bios F9 w/latest NVidia drivers)
    Athlon 64 3500
    2 gigs of Corsair Value Select DDR 3200 (Dual Channel mode)
    NVidia 5200 AGP 8x video (256 megs w/latest NVidia drivers)
    Dell 1800FP (digital LCD monitor)
    (1) 120 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
    (2) 160 gig Seagate Barracuda's 7200rpm (EIDE for all drives, no SATA)
    WinXP SP2 (w/ latest patches)
    Emu 1820m soundcard
    ESI Juli@
    Ultra 500 watt Case
    Plextor 708a internal DVD-RW/CDRW
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 18:55:53 (permalink)
    I just rechecked and no, the green rectangle was some kind of bug or graphic anomaly because I now see what your talking about. The mute and solo rectangles were not showing. I definitely checked the track when it happened to make sure there was no other audio in the track. Just a solid green rectangle in that general area as the solo and mute rectangles. Again, moving the clip to anywhere in the track would cause it to not playback which was really strange. I'll be surprised if no one else sees this with an older file.
    Is everything working now? There are a couple of options now available for track layers. Rebuild Layers or Remove Empty layers might cause a hidden layer to reappear.

My music.
    ashrambler
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 19:24:03 (permalink)
    Mod Bod

Maybe this green rectangle has a function or purpose I don't understand. I wish I could paste the screenshot into this message. Anyway, I just created a new file and imported some Drums on Demand wav's and was able to get this green rectangle to show but this time the audio played fine regardless of where it was moved in the track. I then dragged the clip down into the empty area and it created a track with the same rectangle in it. I'm now trying to recreate but not having much success. I'll figure it out. It's a matter of time till I get a reproducible. I saw the different layers options and tried them but not a problem as I see. I'll keep trying.

Brian

post edited by ashrambler - 2005/10/14 19:32:51
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 19:27:11 (permalink)
    Crop the screenshop and e-mail it to me. My e-mail is in my profile.

My music.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 20:58:09 (permalink)
    This shows me that SONAR has a layer (or layers) that is hidden and is also muted and soloed. Did you have a crash or something that stopped a recording unexpectedly? Try Rebuild layers or Compact layers for that track. You might have to drag any clips on that track to a new track and just delete that track if Rebuild layers doesn't work.
    This is another example. This means an unseen layer is soloed.

My music.
    ashrambler
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 20:59:32 (permalink)
    My mistake jumping to conclusions. From what I can tell the green marker is basically a "reminder" that a mute or solo condition exists when the "Show Layers" command is disabled. These reminders will show if audio in on the track OR, for whatever reason, later removed.

Ok, I see. When something is muted or solo'd and later removed from the track the "Rebuild Layer" simply checks to see if anything is on the track and updates the solo or mute condition for the track based on what it finds.

Brian
    post edited by ashrambler - 2005/10/14 21:10:27
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 21:01:04 (permalink)
    My mistake jumping to conclusions. From what I can tell the green marker is basically a "reminder" that a mute or solo condition exists when the "Show Layers" command is disabled. These reminders will show if audio in on the track OR, for whatever reason, later removed.
    I see that you've figured it out by the time I got the images uploaded to my site. Well at least it's here for others to see and understand.

My music.
    ashrambler
    RE: Possible S5 bug when moving audio clip 2005/10/14 21:04:56 (permalink)
    Right, and thanks for the help. This probably explains why I couldn't hear the track I was moving around. I must have had another layer in there and didn't realize it. Again, Dave much appreciated for the help!

I'm sure it's clearly laid out in the manual but you know how much I hate to pull over and ask for directions! ; )
    post edited by ashrambler - 2005/10/14 21:15:19
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1