New to Sonar 5

Author
ByronSanto
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
2005/10/14 23:27:43 (permalink)

New to Sonar 5

Hi

I'm new to this form and to Sonar. I've been recording with 3 Roland VS recorders (1880, 1680 & 880) for years and have finally made the decision to change to Sonar 5. I'm planning on purchasing a 100% dedicated music PC with Win XP x64 edition and was wondering if having new/clean install might eliminate some of the problems that I have read about?

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer on the subject.

4 Replies Related Threads

Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: New to Sonar 5 2005/10/14 23:34:21 (permalink)
    I'm planning on purchasing a 100% dedicated music PC with Win XP x64 edition and was wondering if having new/clean install might eliminate some of the problems that I have read about?

umm..if you plan to get a NEW computer wouldn't it have a FRESH OS and a "clean install" of Sonar right after you get it ?

you can transfer your older projects (the midi events +audio tracks+clips location+envelopes..if they work;)

what you can't transfer without copying configuration files and reinstalling the plugins (and maybe that's what you're asking really ? ) -

stuff which is saved in the registry (colors for example)...for presets you do have a utility from Cakewalk to make a backup..
    fx and synths might be missing on your older projects..

am i even getting close ?

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: New to Sonar 5 2005/10/15 08:51:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ByronSanto
    I'm planning on purchasing a 100% dedicated music PC with Win XP x64 edition and was wondering if having new/clean install might eliminate some of the problems that I have read about?

Absolutely, that is the first thing I would do when creating a DAW. Start fresh with a lean and clean OS install and make sure all of your hardware components have up to date drivers installed and then throughly test out the machine before you start adding all your audio programs and plugins. Many pre-installed computers, (unless you actually buy from a reputable DAW builder), have all kinds of crap installed that you don't need, on a DAW. That will eliminate a lot of potential problems later on and give you much better and lasting performance, in the long run. Also, once you have your DAW setup just the way you want it, go ahead and backup ghost/image your system drive, to a different drive, for a quick painless recovery, in case of failure (hard drive failure, OS corruption, virus, etc.....).
    post edited by Billy Buck - 2005/10/15 09:02:19

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: New to Sonar 5 2005/10/15 09:51:10 (permalink)
    There was one release where I was screaming like a Banshee (at least for me) that SONAR was screwed up, yada, yada, yada. Finally I did a full reformat and reinstalled everything from the O/S on up except this time I was very critical about what I installed and very particular about installing the latest drivers. Immediately, the program began to behave itself.

So a clean install is a good thing. Watch the quality of the programs you install. Don't install warez, stay away from Pace protected programs, reboot your computer after each install. Use System Restore or a similar program and document each installation if the restore program doesn't do it for you. I have rolled back several times after a new install to solve a problem that popped up.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Quasar
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: New to Sonar 5 2005/10/15 10:26:16 (permalink)
    Hi, when I got 3SE about a year and a half ago and tried to install, Windows wouldn't recognize it, period. It showed as a "RAW" file with 0mb used and 0mb free. I tried everything I could think of, including finding a firmware update for one of my optical drives. I called/wrote to both CW and Sweetwater, and they said- after much trouble shooting- the disk may be faulty and they would send me another, but suggested that I first try to install on another machine. Sure enough, I took it to work, and the installation opened just fine on an old P2 workstation, so it obviously wasn't the disk.

I never did figure out why my settings couldn't read the disk, but after a clean reinstall of XP I had no problem. My upgrade to 5PE came in the other day, and it loaded just fine, too. But ever since then I do a clean reinstall every 7-9 months or so to try and keep things as pristine as I can. Not sure that this is necessary, but I'm pretty sure it can't hurt. Especially because I don't yet have the luxury of a dedicated DAW, Windows has a tendency to accumulate lots of registry junk, etc., over time, and apps seem to clog up and slow down, no matter how careful I try to be.

So my thought would be, when in doubt, yes. It's always good to start clean, if you can block out a little of your time to do it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1