cakewalk homestudio or sonar?

Author
sojourn
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
2005/10/29 00:47:21 (permalink)

cakewalk homestudio or sonar?

I am currently using cakewalk home studio 2 xl with several added plugins. Will switching to sonar 4 or 5 even give me better overall sound or just more bells and whistles? I don't really want to spend a lot more money for just marginal gains as I have already tapped out my budget on hardware. I don't need a lot of midi extras. I mostly do live audio stuff. I/E guitars, voxs, drum machines, etc.
I posted this in the home studio forum but from what I can tell, most of you use the newer sonar stuff. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
post edited by sojourn - 2005/10/29 00:57:04

4 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: cakewalk homestudio or sonar? 2005/10/29 00:58:15 (permalink)
    hi sojourn,
    firstly, the songs forum is mostly to post music or discuss musical ideas, although
    the occasional off topic post comes up.
    "marginal gain" is such a relative and subjective term, i'm not sure how to
    answer your question. however, IMHO, the hardware you use (DAC/ADC,
    mics, recording technique) etc. are more important than the software
    side of things. so, upgrading to S5 probably wouldn't give you a huge difference
    in overal sound quality.
    S5 PE does come with a significantly upgraded set of plug-ins .. and they
    will most likely make your sound better ...whether it's a marginal or significant
    gain is a matter of taste.

jeff
    sojourn
    RE: cakewalk homestudio or sonar? 2005/10/29 02:06:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff, I knew when I copied the post here i would get that, but I had to ask. I spend most of my time (my oneline time) listening to all the songs posted here and quite frankly, I like a lot of what I hear. Simply put, I want advise from the people who are doing it right. I retired from music, reluctantly, in 1990. digital stuff was in it's infancy. I knew my way around analog, but could barely afford a couple hours of studio time, much less complete even an EP. I sure as hell couldn't make a good recording with my live gear. I had good stuff, don't get me wrong, Tangent, Crown,JBL,DBX,etc. I could rock a good sized room, but I couldn't record with the stuff. Today, every thing has changed!
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: cakewalk homestudio or sonar? 2005/10/29 11:07:36 (permalink)
    ok .. fair enough for why you posted ..

welcome back to the world of music! i think most of us have taken
    serious detours/vacations/careers moves which put music off the radar.
    it's a good feeling when you can come back.

one forum which may be of use to you as you tool up for the digaudio
    world is the Gear forum. i'll reiterate that the audio sound module, mics,
    preamps and plug-ins are more important than which DAW software you
    choose to use.

Sonar Home Studio is a remarkably functional piece of software. I was collaborating
    with someone who had it and we were able to exchange project files and bundles.
    i think we only got bit by the track limit on one song .. everything else
    worked like a charm ... oh .. and we lost the track folders going back and
    forth between the two ... 'cause HS doesn't have them. So, it's not a bad way
    to start out. if i had to trade off getting good plug-ins (like Waves) vs. more
    DAW features, i'd do the plug-ins. Cakewalk also has a very good upgrade pricing
    policy for existing customers .. especially when they run one of their upgrade deals.
    so, if you find out you've maxxed out later, it's not a whole lot to upgrade either.

anyway best wishes .. and i used to do a lot of studio work back in the day and you
    could hear the meter ticking when they fired up the console ;-) 'spensive! we're
    living in a golden age for sure!

jeff

post edited by jmarkham - 2005/10/29 11:17:55
    sojourn
    RE: cakewalk homestudio or sonar? 2005/10/30 00:31:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for your understanding Jeff and thanks for the advice. I will definitely check out the Gear forum. Oh, and it does feel good. I may be a bit slower and even if my best stuff is behind me, it's still a lot of fun man. Thanks again!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1