Control surface help please!

Author
TheAmbler
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2005/11/03 07:53:41 (permalink)

Control surface help please!

Forgot to fire up my BCF2000 and UC33 before firing up Sonar and when this happens the control surface system in Sonar 5 seems to lose all their settings.

Now when I try and set them up again using Options>Control Surfaces, the Control Surfaces tool bar remains greyed out, or it says no Control surfaces are connected.

Both appear to be properly installed on USB -- when I move faders, the midi lights in the system tray show activity. Midi inputs and outputs are all selected in Options.

Any suggestions? Sonar 5, with up to date BCF2000 via USB running in Mackie Emulation mode, UC33 via USB

10 Replies Related Threads

Muziekschuur
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/03 07:57:12 (permalink)
    If at startup midi connectivity of a remote controll isn't connected the chance it will not work throughout that session is immense.

A strict bootup sequence must be maintained for DAW and external gear to operate.

Rebooting is what you should do at this point.

Muziekschuur

I use Bagend speakers. You should hear em too.
    TheAmbler
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/03 18:10:13 (permalink)
    Rebooted system, reinstalled midi drivers on the BCF2000 and still nothing in the control surfaces dialog.

Any other suggestions?
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/04 06:49:52 (permalink)
    There is some chance it's a USB issue. Try plugging in only the BFC and leaving the other device unplugged and then booting. Does the BFC then show up?

If not, then I'd suggest reinstalling the BFC drivers on your poota and trying again. As a reference, I have the odd instance where not booting the BFC before S4 gives this symptom and it is always "appears" to be a USB issue. I need to reboot and make sure the BFC is idling before starting up S4. I might add that this is only since recent upgrades of Sonar but isn't really an irk as such.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers!

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/04 07:03:44 (permalink)
    Remember to re-select the midi device in Cakewalk's midi settings before you add the control panel. Sounds like it's not selected.

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    TheAmbler
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/04 07:08:23 (permalink)
    Thanks.

I have reinstalled the midi drivers on the BCF -- and it does seem to be working OK -- the USB light on the front is lit, no balloons coming up from the system tray etc.

Midi ins/outs are select in Sonar Options.

Maybe I'll try a complete reinstall of the BCF. I'm not keen on reinstalling Sonar.
    tonester
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 823
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/04 07:39:18 (permalink)
    Did you go to Options|Control Surfaces, and then click the lowest button (properties) and make sure that the BCF is listed, and that it's assigned to the proper settings?

I've had trouble in the past with my Tascam FW-1082 when I don't power it up before opening Sonar. I have to reassign the ports to "Tascam Control", and then it works.

Good Luck,
    Tony
    www.livesayrox.com
    TheAmbler
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/04 12:42:35 (permalink)
    Yes -- Mackie Control selected with in and outs.
    TheAmbler
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/05 08:37:55 (permalink)
    OK having tried some tests:

I can record midi from a keyboard plugged into the extra midi ins of the BCF via USB into Sonar.
    I can play back midi from Sonar via USB to sound module connected to the extra out of the BCF
    I can record midi data (fader movements) from the BCF via USB to Sonar.

But I can't get the BCF to connect to Sonar control surfaces.

Surely this shows the BCF's properly installed, but Sonar Control Surfaces is broken -- therefore I need to reinstall Sonar?

Unless anyone's got a better idea?
    TheAmbler
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/05 13:09:14 (permalink)
    OK Reinstalled Sonar, fixed the problem.

I noticed I had brackets around the Mackie Control in the Control Surfaces properties so if people see this, it might mean a reinstall is needed.

But this has to be some sort of bug
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Control surface help please! 2005/11/05 15:21:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TheAmbler

I noticed I had brackets around the Mackie Control in the Control Surfaces properties so if people see this, it might mean a reinstall is needed. But this has to be some sort of bug

First, are you using the latest drivers for the BCF2000 driver version 1.10?
    Next, you should Plug your keyboard directly into your midi I/O on your sound card and not into your BCF. Even though the instructions say that this is usable, don't do it. If you are using just the BCF2000 as a controller, which you should, then use USB only. If you are going to Daisy chain several BFC's together, then use USB and connect them using the MIDI IN/Outs.

Always...Always make sure you turn on the BCF2000 before you open Sonar and Close Sonar before you turn off the BCF2000. If you use it this way, you will never have a problem with it.

Setting up.

remember while still in BC mode to install the new 1.10 BCF drivers also add the USB drivers to your PC from the Behringer website.
    --------------------------------------------------
    First Identify the BCF as an IN/Out from Sonar
    Next set it as a control surface using Mackie Control (BCF0001), also set the Mackie Control options for the use of options F1 - F8, (I use F7 to bring up the console view), as well as track and fader selection movements with touch sensitivity, or something like that. - writing this from memory. This will allow you to touch a fader and Sonar will highlight that track for you or you touching a track in Sonar and the BCF2000 track select light turns red for that channel on th econtroller itself. Also the Foot control feature works great on the BCF.., I use mine for recording. I arm the track or tracks with the BCF and then when ready to record, I just press my sustain pedal and all armed tracks are now recording. for this, I use a cheap Yamaha pedal from Guitar Center from a 2.99 box of Yamaha junk. GT gave the box away for a penny during the Laborday sale.

I have to honeslty say that the BCF2000, for it's measley $199.99 price tag is a bargain for the features it provides. Oh don't forget that Sonitius is the default EQ in Sonar Pro so the BCF2000 in Mackie Mode automatically controls Sonitus EQ Bands 1-4, and a few others in it's suite. It also controls the Cakewalk Time works EQ and Compressor (Red) from the 2.0 install too. I had to grab the Old CD to get those babies installed back on my PC.

Peace,
    post edited by Jesse G - 2005/11/05 15:32:30

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1