Using effects live for concerts

Author
attalus
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1687
2005/11/03 23:18:44 (permalink)

Using effects live for concerts

How do i use my vst effects for singing live in concerts?What program will i need for this?

10 Replies Related Threads

sbavin
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 09:31:02 (permalink)
    You can do it in SONAR if you have low enough audio latency, and you're brave enough! Just use input monitoring.I do it all the time in sessions; SONAR has replaced all my stomp boxes.
    Not sure I'm relaxed enough with the idea of plug-ins for a live concert though it ought to work.

Edit: spelling failure

Steve Bavin
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 10:59:18 (permalink)
    I think there is a vst rack mount runtime unit on the market but it may be cheaper to use a computer. Latency would be a problem with in line effects like EQ, compression, amp sim, etc. But for time based effects like reverb, delay, chorus.. some latency might make them sound even better ! LOL Just set the mix control on the effect to 100% and bring it back into the mixer as a return just like you would with a rack unit. Very cool idea. Say for example if your mixer had direct outs or aux outs you would run them right into the sound card and then bring the output of Sonar back into the mixer on a stereo return. If you used plugins that didn't need much CPU you could give each send it's own plugin or even a stack of plugins ! If you wanted to EQ the effect you could add a reverb at 100% wet and then add the EQ plugin after that. You should be able to get the lowest latency your card will do, after all who cares about dropouts if you never press play ? As long as the CPU meter stays under 100% lard it on.

Remember to turn of any power save or screen saver in Windows and make sure no other programs are running. This would be a great use for an old copy of Sonar 2.2 that used less CPU.
    attalus
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 11:29:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sbavin

You can do it in SONAR if you have low enough audio latency, and you're brave enough! Just use input monitoring.I do it all the time in sessions; SONAR has replaced all my stomp boxes.
    Not sure I'm relaxed enough with the idea of plug-ins for a live concert though it ought to work.

Edit: spelling failure

When i press the input button i get a unwanted echo, so i don't think this will be suitable for most occassions.But thanks!
    attalus
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 11:34:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

I think there is a vst rack mount runtime unit on the market but it may be cheaper to use a computer. Latency would be a problem with in line effects like EQ, compression, amp sim, etc. But for time based effects like reverb, delay, chorus.. some latency might make them sound even better ! LOL Just set the mix control on the effect to 100% and bring it back into the mixer as a return just like you would with a rack unit. Very cool idea. Say for example if your mixer had direct outs or aux outs you would run them right into the sound card and then bring the output of Sonar back into the mixer on a stereo return. If you used plugins that didn't need much CPU you could give each send it's own plugin or even a stack of plugins ! If you wanted to EQ the effect you could add a reverb at 100% wet and then add the EQ plugin after that. You should be able to get the lowest latency your card will do, after all who cares about dropouts if you never press play ? As long as the CPU meter stays under 100% lard it on.

Remember to turn of any power save or screen saver in Windows and make sure no other programs are running. This would be a great use for an old copy of Sonar 2.2 that used less CPU.

I will give this a try later today.Last night i did some reading on energyxt and was wondering could this be used for "live use" within sonar.Is there anyone familiar with this program?
    ohhey
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 12:01:32 (permalink)
    The trick is to use plugins with a dry/wet mix and set them to 100% wet so you will not hear the echo of the dry signal. Also, if the reverb has a delay control set it lower then normal. Also, make sure you have set your latency as low as it will go and still pass audio. If you use WDM drivers you can use the latency slider in Sonar, if you use ASIO drivers you can set it by setting the buffers or latency in the ASIO control panel for your sound card driver. Remember you may need to set this back to a higher value when you want to use Sonar for recording, but for live work you should be able to set it for the lowest value that will still pass audio.
    mamm7215
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 12:43:00 (permalink)
    attalus
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 17:06:50 (permalink)

The trick is to use plugins with a dry/wet mix and set them to 100% wet so you will not hear the echo of the dry signal. Also, if the reverb has a delay control set it lower then normal. Also, make sure you have set your latency as low as it will go and still pass audio. If you use WDM drivers you can use the latency slider in Sonar, if you use ASIO drivers you can set it by setting the buffers or latency in the ASIO control panel for your sound card driver. Remember you may need to set this back to a higher value when you want to use Sonar for recording, but for live work you should be able to set it for the lowest value that will still pass audio.

I don't think i can set latency that low because i planned to play the beat threw sonar aswell.And i don't think all the effects i wish to use have a wet/dry parameter, so it will be hard to block out the echo sound.
    ohhey
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 17:19:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: attalus

I don't think i can set latency that low because i planned to play the beat threw sonar aswell.And i don't think all the effects i wish to use have a wet/dry parameter, so it will be hard to block out the echo sound.

Never mind... you just exceeded the scope of the first question. If you need to also play all bets are off.
    attalus
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/04 23:34:35 (permalink)
    I'm suprised that with all the technology out here no one as designed a program for this type of live use!Maybe i will just let Sonar handle the vocals live and put the beat on a cd.I'm going to have to figure out something very soon!
    attalus
    RE: Using effects live for concerts 2005/11/05 12:44:31 (permalink)
    I think i may have found my answer.There's a software host application that can also be used as a vst called "chainer" wich may allow me to use my effects for live performance. Here's a copy of tech supports email response.

"Hello,

Chainer enables you to use your VST effects in realtime. Furthermore it
    allows you to control effect plugin parameters via MIDI CC messages in
    realtime. Insofar Chainer is suitable for live use.

However, Chainer doesn't allow you to switch complete effects chains
    via
    MIDI messages. To switch effect chains you need to use your mouse
    (which
    would probably not be suitable for live use).

But if you don't need to change effect chains very quickly I'd suggest
    that
    you try out the demo of Chainer to see if it suits your needs.

Regards,
    Thomas Potulski "

I'll give the demo a try!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1