Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9**

Author
b3gsus@msn.com
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1293
2005/11/04 05:16:19 (permalink)

Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9**

I received my copy of Computer Music yesterday & in their review of Sonar 5 Producer they give it a 9 saying that V-Vocal can't be processed offline & the Studio Version doesn't come with much....Their Positive Remarks go like this:

"A MATURE, HUGELY SOPHISTICATED PRODUCT"
"V-VOCAL IS WORTH THE UPGRADE PRICE ON IT'S OWN"
"PERFECT SPACE IS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE"
"REDEFINED MIDI FUNCTIONALLITY"
"PER CLIP FX BINS-YAY!!!!!"

So overall, it's really a 10 seeing that they are dissing really only the lack of "Offline Processing" with V-Vocal... I'd say Sonar 5 Producer is an awesome upgrade...But it will truely be awesome with the upcoming .01 fix! Wildman

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
2-Mackie 24/8buss

20 Replies Related Threads

glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 07:32:01 (permalink)
    On yer Nic!

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 11:26:46 (permalink)
    well, it's unrealistic to give any piece of software a 10, as there is nothing that can truly be all things to all men - no piece of software is perfect.

But, Does computer music still give everything they review a score between 8 and 10? meaning that a 9 is basically the equivalent of a 2 out of 3?!? lol

I've read reviews of software in that magazine which highlighted huge, glaring faults, but they still give it a 9!
    dbmusic
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1150
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 12:15:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

well, it's unrealistic to give any piece of software a 10, as there is nothing that can truly be all things to all men - no piece of software is perfect.

But, Does computer music still give everything they review a score between 8 and 10? meaning that a 9 is basically the equivalent of a 2 out of 3?!? lol

I've read reviews of software in that magazine which highlighted huge, glaring faults, but they still give it a 9!

There's an inherent bias in many of these "reviews": Not a good idea go about knocking products from companies you collect advertising revenue from.
    b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 12:22:45 (permalink)
    I've subscribed to Computer Music for over 3 years now & I've found that they pretty much say it like it is.. They couldn't hold any positive reputation by showing bias all the time... The review is actually right on the money & they describe every new feature pretty thoroughly & once again, it's a matter of personal preference but I find the Magazine very useful & informative in keeping up with the fast advancing world of Software Synthesis & DAWs. JMHO Wildman

Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 12:31:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

No, I've routinely seen them rate something as low as 6 if they find glaring faults. They are pretty much reliable. They recently ripped up that rollable keyboard thingie...
    b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 12:34:15 (permalink)
    I agree j boy! I've still got every issue along with the CDs & now DVDs & they really are straight shooters & it's a wealth of information every month! Wildman
    They are pretty much reliable. They recently ripped up that rollable keyboard thingie...

2-Mackie 24/8buss
    gonzo_dog
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 12:39:49 (permalink)
    There's an inherent bias in many of these "reviews": Not a good idea go about knocking products from companies you collect advertising revenue from.

Wait for the review in electronic musician. Although their reviews seem a little long winded at times they do attempt to give a fair and unbias reviews whether they get advertising funds or not.
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 12:42:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: j boy

No, I've routinely seen them rate something as low as 6 if they find glaring faults. They are pretty much reliable. They recently ripped up that rollable keyboard thingie...

Which was advertised in latest issue ! So the advertisers didn't pull the ads.

I find their scores to be reasonably fair

I thought that the Sonar review was not as in depth as it could have been.

I don't think Sonar 5 was even mentioned in the previous issue. I have a feeling they got caught cold on this one, didn't have too much time to spend on it and commit to a 10.

I love the mag though ... plus pretty good stuff usually on the DVD.

When I get time I want to make it a mission to write a piece just using what is on the DVD.

Did anyone here have time to have a stab at the Ash remix from previous issue. (I know US folk can't win anything, not being in UK), but I thought it would be an interesting challenge which unfortunately is still on my to do list.

Yes.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 14:31:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gonzo_dog

Wait for the review in electronic musician. Although their reviews seem a little long winded at times they do attempt to give a fair and unbias reviews whether they get advertising funds or not.

Same at Sound on Sound.

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    solar28
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 14:45:35 (permalink)
    I find sound on sounds reviews to be 20-40% better than computer musics'
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 16:03:11 (permalink)

Wow, as low as 6 eh? well, if their scale is a 0-10, then 5 must be average right?
    So in your own words, the "reliable" reviews would rate something with glaring faults as better than average?
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 16:56:02 (permalink)
    Wow, as low as 6 eh? well, if their scale is a 0-10, then 5 must be average right?

Your logic is slightly flawed here!
    Do they say 5 is average? It sounds like "average" in this case may be around 8.

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    pharohoknaughty
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 17:15:00 (permalink)

It is interesting you feel that way. I think more or less the opposite.

Also, I find the reviews are vauge, and they leave many measurements and critical tests out of the picture.

Also, if Sonar is reviewed by a Cubase user, you have to hope he spends enough time to really get to know Sonar. If it is a Sonar user, then you don't know if he has enough knowledge of Cubase to give a valid comparison/opinion.

For me, this forum has more to offer than a magazine review. But of course, I am glad to see the positive publicity.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 18:24:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: solar28
    I find sound on sounds reviews to be 20-40% better than computer musics'

All kidding aside, I agree with this statement. SoS's are a little deeper I've found, so the analysis is more inline with what a power user might expect.

That said, Computer Music has had a fondness for Sonar for a long time, they've championed it in Europe for some time now. So I'm not surprised it got a 9, though I think I DO recall seeing things get 10's in there, so I'm surprised it didn't receive that.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 18:39:28 (permalink)
    Sound on Sound is a great magazine, and yes more detailed reviews. But if I've only got 'X' amount of money to spend on magazine(s) every month I'll go with CM first, because

1.) it's way more fun

2.) you get all that cool content on the DVD (remember that BFD demo a few months back?). I've found numerous samples that I've put to good use.
    Trev Wilkins
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 19:21:28 (permalink)
    I used to write and review for Computer Music on a freelance basis and I have to say that they never tried to influence my writing or reviews in any way either for or against. I always felt that my integrity was important and they always respected that so I don't think they have made any review decisions based on advertising revenue. I have given very low scores as well as very high scores and to be honest there really is a lot of good product out there so it's difficult to mark down anything that is great, whether hardware or software.
    If you look at the first page of their reviews they show what the ratings actually mean so:
    1-4 Give it a miss
    5-6 Not too shabby
    7 Good
    8-9 Very good
    10 Excellent
    They elaborate on this a little but a 10 is 'practically faultless'.

Trev Wilkins

www.stageandstudios.co.uk

Studio and Live engineering/technical services for the entertainment industry.

Author of The Focal Easy Guide To Cakewalk SONAR
    and
    Access All Areas. A real-world guide to gigging and touring
    Touring technician for Robert Fripp/King Crimson
    b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 21:28:11 (permalink)
    I'm glad you chimed in Trev! I think for the most part both Computer Music & SOS are great reads & a super reference to seeking the latest greatest gear. As I stated before, it's a matter of personal preference & whatever floats your boat. I find both Magazines to be quite informative & probobly the best on the Market for feeding the Curious Musician with,,, "GAS",,Wildman
    I used to write and review for Computer Music on a freelance basis and I have to say that they never tried to influence my writing or reviews in any way either for or against. I always felt that my integrity was important and they always respected that so I don't think they have made any review decisions based on advertising revenue.

2-Mackie 24/8buss
    billruys
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 21:40:06 (permalink)

It is interesting you feel that way. I think more or less the opposite.

I fully agree with pharohoknaughty on this one.

Electronic Musician reviews are complete dribble. Written soley to keep advertisers on board. Basically paraphrased versions of the manufacturer's brochures. One of the reasons I stopped buying Electronic Musician.

There is a small Australian magazine called "Audio Technology" that calls the shots pretty darn straight. Most comtemporary recording and audio mags have sold their souls with the focus on revenue. Whatever keeps the advertisers on board is what they print.

These days you either have to find out about hardware/software the hard way, or get advice from people you trust. But with every Tom, Dick, and Harry raving that their $89 chinese microphones sound like Neumanns, it's hard to know who to believe anymore.

Disillusioned? Who me?

Bill.
    av1611
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/04 22:08:43 (permalink)
    These days you either have to find out about hardware/software the hard way, or get advice from people you trust. But with every Tom, Dick, and Harry raving that their $89 chinese microphones sound like Neumanns, it's hard to know who to believe anymore. Disillusioned? Who me? Bill.

I've never read a bad review in a magazine - not saying they are not there but they all are too generous and don't want to tell the whole truth or business will suffer. Reviews mostly end the same way - genercically good - just check them out.

Advertising dollars rule America.

For the love the money....

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    pharohoknaughty
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    RE: Computer Music Rates Sonar 5 @ 9** 2005/11/05 01:28:11 (permalink)
    These days you either have to find out about hardware/software the hard way, or get advice from people you trust. But with every Tom, Dick, and Harry raving that their $89 chinese microphones sound like Neumanns, it's hard to know who to believe anymore.

They may not sound like Neumanns, but let me tell you they are way kewl for 89 bucks. No?

But your bigger point is that mags can't really sepatate themselves from the sponsors, and must go with recognised authors. I perfer the internet authors.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1