GETTING STARTED PLEASE HELP!

Author
JMPIMP
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/11/05 12:18:48 (permalink)

GETTING STARTED PLEASE HELP!

I JUST BOUGHT SONAR 4, BUT WAS IT JUST WASTE OF MONEY OR IS WORTH IT BECAUSE I WANT SOMETHING TO MAKE BEATS. WHAT SOFTWARE WOULD U RECOMAND ME. FRUITY LOOPS OR REASON 3.0. OR CAN I RE-WIRE OTHER SOFTWARES.

GEORGE

5 Replies Related Threads

Guyunique
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 315
    RE: GETTING STARTED PLEASE HELP! 2005/11/05 12:29:03 (permalink)
    Well I don't think it's a waste because down the line you are still going to need it if you want to expand your capabilities.
    Economically it was a bad idea because you can always ugrade your software. You should have started with Sonar Home Studio/Tracktion/Cubase SE but I would have strongly recommended Sonar Home Studio, it is very basic and straight forward but also powerful. You need to start from the grass roots. If you only intend to make beats and not record vocals/instruments, the the Home Studio was a great way to have started. Contact me via my website if you like, www.patrickjmusic.com and we can go from there.

I would personally like to help you, most stores don't take software back and so you maybe stuck with it.

Patrick.
    JMPIMP
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: GETTING STARTED PLEASE HELP! 2005/11/05 13:43:52 (permalink)
    WELL IF IM RIGHT I HAVE HOME STUDIO VERSION 4. DO U SUGGEST ANY OTHER SOFTWARES OR AM I FINE.
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: GETTING STARTED PLEASE HELP! 2005/11/05 13:52:26 (permalink)
    I think if you spend good time with Sonar, you'll find it is a great "center" for many things. While "making beats" is not it's forte, or how it's marketed, it can do many things. You may need some other plugins or apps which will compliment your needs.

For example... Project 5 (V2) is great for dance/techno music (although it can be used for ANY style of music), but it doesn't have the sophisticated audio handling (editing/mixing, etc) that Sonar does. However, the two work great together.

Same is true with Fruity Loops. It has a lot of cool/neat features, but it's not as strong an audio mixing application as Sonar is (this is all one man's - my - opinion, of course).

However, I think you'll find that having (owning) Sonar is a worthwhile investment in the long run.

And I make beats in it all the time by using 3rd party plugins as well as the plugins that come with it.

Experminent a bit (read the manul too), and see how things go. That would be my advice and suggestion.

Good luck and enjoy.

ORIGINAL: JMPIMP

I JUST BOUGHT SONAR 4, BUT WAS IT JUST WASTE OF MONEY OR IS WORTH IT BECAUSE I WANT SOMETHING TO MAKE BEATS. WHAT SOFTWARE WOULD U RECOMAND ME. FRUITY LOOPS OR REASON 3.0. OR CAN I RE-WIRE OTHER SOFTWARES.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: GETTING STARTED PLEASE HELP! 2005/11/05 14:33:42 (permalink)
    George, just to let you in on net-ettiquette (sp?), posting in all CAPs is considered shouting at the top of your voice and is considered bad manners unless you are really ticked. You seem like a good guy so I thought I'd let you know before someone slams you for doing it.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: GETTING STARTED PLEASE HELP! 2005/11/05 16:00:07 (permalink)
    You can absolutely use Sonar to make beats. DJ Johnny Juice is a member of these forums and has been using Sonar for the past several Public Enemy records. You can read an interview here to hear some of what he has to say: http://www.cakewalk.com/Artist/PublicEnemy.asp

Sonar is what is called a "sequencing program," and is comperable to other sequencers such as Logic, ProTools, Cubase, or Nuendo. These programs pretty much give a full-blown recording-studio-in-a-box. Somewhat confusingly, products like Project5 and Reason are called "software studios." They are a different beast, designed more specifically for generating sounds and loops entirely within the computer. Their recording, mixing, and editing capabilities are usually much more limited, and the user interface is focused on creating sounds and loops on the computer.

Sonar has a lot of capabilities and flexibility that things like Reason and Project5 do not have. They are both excellent programs, but they don't "do" anything that can't be done in Sonar. Sonar will pretty much allow you to do anything you could do in a commercial recording studio. The downside for a beginner is that it includes virtual versions of all those millions of knobs, faders, patchbays, and blinking lights and it can be intimidating if you're new to professional audio.

Before you give up on Sonar I would suggest you set aside an afternoon to check out the included tutorials and work your way through them. There are also a ton of tech tips posted on cakewalk's web site that may give you some ideas. Sonar comes with a host of tools that can be used for creating loops and beats, and there are tons of plugin effects and tools that can be got for free or cheap that will expand it's capabilities even more.

If you decide to keep looking for different software, then before you go spending any more money I strongly suggest you check out the demos-- every software company allows you to try their product out for free before you buy it. I am pretty sure the frustrations you're having have to do with what is commonly called "workflow." Certain kinds of software are particularly well-suited to doing certain things, and the demos will give you a good idea of how well a particular piece of kits flows with what you're trying to accomplish. And bear in mind that you can use products like Rason and Project5 within Sonar, so you could use them to create beats, loops, and simple arrangements and then feed them to Sonar and use Sonar as mixing, editing, and mastering environment.

FWIW, Products like Cakewalk Home Studio and Cubase LE are basically cheaper, stripped-down versions of Sonar. They might be slightly easier to work with just because they have fewer features, but they are not particularly better-suited for creating beats. If you are having a hard time working with Sonar and feel like it's getting in the way of your creativity, then you should probably check out one of the above-mentioned "soft studios."

Cheers, and best of luck.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1