MIDI keyboard volume baffler!

Author
cjaflesquire@aol.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2005/11/12 23:59:40 (permalink)

MIDI keyboard volume baffler!

I've got an old Juno-106 MIDI synthesizer that I use only as a MIDI keyboard controller. The keyboard action is very good (Roland) and great to play. The problem: Lately, when I use it as a controller with Cakewalk MC 2003 and SoundBlaster Live the volume of whatever I play using this Juno-106 only as a keyboard controller comes out at half the volume of everything else!! This should not happen, of course, because MIDI is just data, not music "volume." I've checked all over this keyboard, I've fooled with all the switches. Nothing seems to fix this problem. I unplug the MIDI cable from this old keyboard and plug it straightaway into another MIDI keyboard and NO PROBLEM. It just seems as though Cakewalk and my equiptment hate the old keyboard and protest by making everything played on it half volume. Any of you MIDI whizzes out there have any ideas/suggestions?

3 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MIDI keyboard volume baffler! 2005/11/13 21:05:30 (permalink)
    Firstly, go to the 'event list' view after you've input some notes. If your Roland is touch sensitive, all the notes volume values should be at different levels. If you can turn off the touch sensitive feature, do so and enter a few more notes. The values for all these notes should be '100'. That should confirm that MC is functioning correctly. If the note values are lower that 100 when you've disabled the touch feature, the keys on your board are getting old. Time for repair/replacement, or a good cleaning. How high is the volume slider when in the console view? Oh, and check the MIDI input volume on the Windows mixer, too. Greg
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2005/11/13 21:06:06
    cjaflesquire@aol.com
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: MIDI keyboard volume baffler! 2005/11/17 21:19:02 (permalink)
    Thanks, 57 Gregy. My Juno-106 synth is a 1980's, comparatively old, synth and from what I'm told, one of the earliest synths to even have MIDI. It is not velocity sensitive. At your suggestion, I checked the "event list" and saw the volume level is uniformly "64" for all keys. There does not appear to be any way to increase this within the synthesizer. Trying to increase its MIDI volume code inside of Cakewalk or in my Windows Volume Control causes all kinds of problems. Namely, when I try to "turn up the volume" everything else goes up commensurately and I risk blowing out my other equipment. I just replaced it with an M-audio Radium 61 keyboard controller which --so far-- I like very much. Still, I wish there was some way to somehow "up" the MIDI volume control of 64 to more up around 100 and continue to use that old synthesizer as a MIDI keyboard controller because it had great action and was such a pleasure to play. Oh well.
    senelson
    • Total Posts : 2
    Another Volume Problem 2005/12/29 15:50:07 (permalink)
    Whenever I press the 'stop' button, the volume level for my midi track jumps way up. When I play back the next time, it blasts and distorts, until: if I adjust the volume control on the keyboard even a minute amount, it registers the true volume reading and is reset.
    Also, when I put in a volume envelope on a midi track, it was continuously jumping up, seemingly every time it registered a volume change instruction.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Sky
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1