My last thread....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 10:12:38 (permalink)
it's been a rough ride through steinberg's troubles. they have been through a lot of turmoil ... and their product shows it .. i hope they get they're sh*t together ... but i'll be watching from the sidelines.

Rough ride, Jeff? You bet!! (And I've got plenty of mental saddle sores to show for it.)

dandyline
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: My last thread.... 2005/11/18 10:13:37 (permalink)
Last February Yamaha bought Steinberg from Pinnacle. It will be interesting if that results in any changes to the product quality and support problems of the past mentioned in this thread. I've been using Cakewalk products since 1993 and have no reason to switch. But I would be surprised if Yamaha money doesn't have an impact on Cubase and Nuendo sales in 2006.

But here's an interesting note.

I run a little web site offering free Cakewalk instrument definitions for the Yamaha PSR series. I get dozens of downloads each month from all around the world. Also, I own a Motif ES8 and follow the Motifator forums regularly, esp. Cakewalk threads. So far, my experience says the Yamaha community are still making heavy use of Cake and Sonar. I dunno if the acquition will change that. However, if Yamaha decides to do some software bundling of Steinberg products, this could change.

Dandyline

Guitarmech111
Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5085
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 10:26:50 (permalink)
Where is the 20-40% statement??!!??

If you're gonna do it, do it right!

ORIGINAL: PopulousRecords

I had a feeling that u guys would get ugly. Truth is....I didnt want to switch from sonar to nuendo. but now that i got a feel for it, there's no comparison. Nuendo is the best software ive ever used (In my opinion). and while you guys may think um talking nonsense, i said before that Sonar is a great program. but you know...at one point i was using Reason for my violins and thought it was the greatest thing ever, now I use EWQL...and although reason is decent software, once again, there is no comparison. I love posting here because you are all very helpful. If I have a question about softsynths/hardware,ect...i get more inteligent answers here then anywhere else. My point was only that it's wrong to be closed minded. For 90% of us...we work with what we have and do it well because we are efficient with it. I guess Im part of the other 10% thats never satisfied. I'm that guy that had to try out the new WP to compare it to MS office (Go Corel!).I could make a beat with a 4 track and an casio that i could sell for a grand, but I enjoy being on the cutting edge. Sonar is on the cutting edge! So is Cubase/Nuendo! I just think that those of you who want the best possible interface during your next upgrade should give steinberg a look.

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
darc
  • Total Posts : 764
RE: My last thread.... 2005/11/18 10:37:35 (permalink)
So how long have you been working for Steinberg? Do they pay well?
dbmusic
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1150
RE: My last thread.... 2005/11/18 10:47:10 (permalink)
Yamaha + software development =

DB Music

SoundClick
OurStage
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 11:00:21 (permalink)

I could make a beat with a 4 track and an casio that i could sell for a grand, but I enjoy being on the cutting edge

nuendo for beats .. that's cutting edge alright .. i hope no major arteries were involved. you should talk to
dick cheney about how much more effective criticisms are when they're combined with some
semblance of credibility.

with all that revenue that you're generating with those beats, your label's studio should be able
to afford to let the artist choose what works best for them.

madonna's on the phone ... GTR..

jeff

attalus
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 11:37:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarmech111

Where is the 20-40% statement??!!??

If you're gonna do it, do it right!

I had a feeling that u guys would get ugly. Truth is....I didnt want to switch from sonar to nuendo. but now that i got a feel for it, there's no comparison. Nuendo is the best software ive ever used (In my opinion). and while you guys may think um talking nonsense, i said before that Sonar is a great program. but you know...at one point i was using Reason for my violins and thought it was the greatest thing ever, now I use EWQL...and although reason is decent software, once again, there is no comparison. I love posting here because you are all very helpful. If I have a question about softsynths/hardware,ect...i get more inteligent answers here then anywhere else. My point was only that it's wrong to be closed minded. For 90% of us...we work with what we have and do it well because we are efficient with it. I guess Im part of the other 10% thats never satisfied. I'm that guy that had to try out the new WP to compare it to MS office (Go Corel!).I could make a beat with a 4 track and an casio that i could sell for a grand, but I enjoy being on the cutting edge. Sonar is on the cutting edge! So is Cubase/Nuendo! I just think that those of you who want the best possible interface during your next upgrade should give steinberg a look.

This is the problem, he can't say it's 20 or 40% better, If he list the features in nuendo that are better than Sonar they'd be alot of features most of us don't need.I'm not deep into surround mixing and post production stuff, just typical music industry stuff.If you minus the features i don't need i think Sonar is better, especially when you consider price! And cakewalk has proven their on the cutting edge MOST HOST APPLICATIONS ACTUALLY HAVE TO PLAY CATCH UP TO SONAR.
neonknight
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 12:26:15 (permalink)
every now and then a discussion like this pops up
Nuendo might be better /not necessarily/, but look at the price difference!
It wouldn't be fair if it wasn't better
others have already posted smart replies, but I will emphasise once again..
it's just a tool
If you know how to produce music, you can do it in Cubase SE and Sonar Home Studio as well, and it will sound good
So, if you like Nuendo, go for it!

neonknight
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 12:27:20 (permalink)
attalus, you have said a good thing
"Steinberg's support sucks, but their products are good..."
You see, support means a lot to many people around here...

neonknight
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 12:33:25 (permalink)
just one more remark, I promise it's the last one
I have a feeling that people discussing software all the time are actually lacking ideas to compose something nice
attalus, I am not saying you are in this group, you might be a great producer, I don't know that, but somehow in most of the cases this is true
I am not talking about bug reporting and problem solving, but about whining about updates, changing platforms etc...

and I do accept an argument that I might be completely wrong on this one
just my impression
cheers everyone

Bill OConnell
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 14:32:30 (permalink)
So is Cubase/Nuendo! I just think that those of you who want the best possible interface during your next upgrade should give steinberg a look.

Yes, their GUI designer (Dave Nicholson) does a heck of a good job.

I just uninstalled my copy of Nuendo 3. Like any program it has its share of annoyances, but a good program, IMO. All depends upon how you work and what features you need.

I've just had it up to here with their dongles and their high-and-mighty attitude.

xohol
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: My last thread.... 2005/11/18 14:39:57 (permalink)

Well...Sonar 5 PE is OK. Ive been a user since 2. but listen. Nuendo is sooooooooo much better. even cubase rips Sonar these days. I feel like im playing with a toy in sonar. Nuendo's stability is amazing! Im just trynig to help here. I dont mean to bash cakewalk. I ve made alot of my best music in sonar 4. but i feel a need to let everyone know. Nuendo is the truth...as is cubase. i hated cubase 5...sx3 is superb. dont waste your money on the new sonar. Go Stienberg...thier support sucks, but thier products rule.

i am a fan of sonar, and use it primarily at home. however, if anyone on this forum has tracked major project in nuendo, they would completly understand the differences. nuendo is rock solid. all functions can be accessed and audio can be processed DURING playback and recording. i can track the full band in the other room, and be bouncing tracks and processing previous takes completly seemlessly. try that in sonar.
creaturestudios
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: My last thread.... 2005/11/18 14:56:14 (permalink)
I have Cubase SX2 aswell as Sonar 4SE & Sonar 5PE- i quiet simply hated Cubase SX2 for many reason's which i wont waste my time listing here. On the other hand a friend of mine loves Cubase SX2/3 and another friend of mine loves Magix Studio 8- we all make great music on our chosen sequencers and enjoy a bit of verbal jousting over a few pints(to put it lightly) in the pub. I think the guy was only trying to encourage us to try something new but to be honest i will never even install another Steinberg product on my pc- even if i won a copy of Nuendo i'd put it on eBay straight away and buy something that doesn't require another few months learning and a DONGLE. The one thing i have to say is that just because Sonar feels like a 'toy' to you doesn't mean the rest of us want to know- in my opinion that is Cakewalk bashing. What exactly makes it feel like a toy? If i had a toy like Sonar when i was a kid i would have been one happy kid Enjoy Nuendo

Sonar 6 PE
Project 5V2
Dimension Pro
NI Komplete 2
Reason 3
Tascam GigaStudio Ensemble(Sitting On The Shelf)
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 @3GHZ
2GB PC5300 DDR2 Ram
EMU 1212M
Too Many Plug Ins To List!!

thunderkyss
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 15:11:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: attalus
This is the problem, he can't say it's 20 or 40% better, If he list the features in nuendo that are better than Sonar they'd be alot of features most of us don't need.I'm not deep into surround mixing and post production stuff, just typical music industry stuff.If you minus the features i don't need i think Sonar is better, especially when you consider price! And cakewalk has proven their on the cutting edge MOST HOST APPLICATIONS ACTUALLY HAVE TO PLAY CATCH UP TO SONAR.

For surround mixing, Sonar's got them beat..IMHO.....you can use any plug-in as a surround plug with Sonar, because of their surround bridge, not so with Nuendo.

But if you go to Steiny's websight, there is a document showing you the difference between Nuendo, and Cubase....it's mainly compatibility with post production standards........support for 9 pin video hardware device.........AFF or something like that, and a bunch of other post production formats.....nothing you need in the music business....so I say again, dude spent too much money for what he needed.

check out the exclusive features of Nuendo

thunderkyss
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: My last thread.... 2005/11/18 15:19:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: creaturestudios

I think the guy was only trying to encourage us to try something new........

............. The one thing i have to say is that just because Sonar feels like a 'toy' to you doesn't mean the rest of us want to know- in my opinion that is Cakewalk bashing. What exactly makes it feel like a toy? If i had a toy like Sonar when i was a kid i would have been one happy kid Enjoy Nuendo

You do understand the toy statement pretty much negates the whole "just encouraging you to try something new" deal.....sides, as you've stated, I've stated and many others............we've tried Nuendo, wasn't our cup of tea...........that's all we're saying.

Another thing, it's completely arrogant to assume any of us is using Sonar, simply because we haven't tried anything else.

wogg
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1819
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 15:23:07 (permalink)
you should talk to
dick cheney about how much more effective criticisms are when they're combined with some
semblance of credibility.

LOL!

...the rest of this thread is just plain silly.

Homepage:
The World of Wogg

agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 15:39:36 (permalink)
We all went to high school with those kids whose entire self-worth was tied into what their favorite band was, and they wouldn't take anyone seriously if they didn't like that particular band (or style)

We all have known someone who takes their chosen sports team so seriously that they get in fights about which team is better.

It's all about a person's need to feel like they belong to something bigger than they are. Some people choose things that don't really matter, or that are simple matters of taste. They defend their indefensible positions with vague generalizations and cliche buzzwords.

---

I personally chose Cakewalk because they were familiar, having been a user in my youth of their old midi-only "Cakewalk Express," and because the price was right. I've stayed a user because their interfaces are intuitive to my mind, and their programs do what I need and run stable on my machines.

Just my 2 pfennigs

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: listen... 2005/11/18 16:21:21 (permalink)
They defend their indefensible positions with vague generalizations and cliche buzzwords.

but why do they have to post these "i'm taking my toys and leaving" messages? i honestly
couldn't care less ..

Mr. Moderator, could you please move this to the Off-topic forum? It's just troll fodder.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1