professional recording engineer

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Holly Would
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/08 03:06:11 (permalink)
I'm going to answer these just for fun, since I have spent a lot of time in professional studios, went to college for recording engineering (but had to drop out b/c of $$ and my own band lol), and because I've been both the enemy, ally, and the control freak if you get what I mean...

Before you pose your questions i have some of my own:

Where do you rate eating and sleeping in your life prioritization?

I don't sleep for 4 days at time sometimes when working on music or when I'm having a manic or mixed episode

How well do you tolerate emotionally unstable personalities?

I am an Emotionally unstable personality. Why do you think I'm an Artist and have the superhuman ability to stay up for a week without the use of ampthetamines or caffeine ... Ultra-Rapid Bi-Polar 2 disorder has it's advantages... Many of the worlds great leaders, writers, poets, and musicians have been.... However a lot of them were assinated/ousted (i.e. abe lincoln, napoleon) or comitted suicide/Died in relation to it (Kurt Cobain, Virginia Wolfe, Edgar Allen Poe). But I find it very much of an advantage until you start having anxiety problems during the mixing process. ::shakes head in shame::

Would you resolve yourself to never owning anything which is
not "certified pre-owned"?

Yes. Because Ebay is our friend.

Does sunlight deprivation have any negative impact on your overall
mood?

Only when I wake up at 7pm and think it's 7am.

True or False:
"Even though I know that what the person is telling me is
not based in audio science, I will believe them and obey
because they have been doing it for 57 years"

No. Not unless they're paying me to do it

Multiple Choice (choose up to 2):
If my girlfriend becomes emotionally involved with the
lead singer of the band I'm recording, I would:
a. Take it as a normal part of my profession.
b. Shove a Shure SM57 down his throat
c. Make his tracks sound like crap
d. Dump my girlfriend for the lead singer's girlfriend.

B. and Then D. if she was hot because after I did B. she'd think he was a loser. A. would mean your a doormat and C. would make you look bad.

True or False:
It's OK to pretend that I've used an ICON-D 96 console because
in all likelihood, nobody in the room has either.

A what ? Oh Yeahh ... I think they had one at that.. um place I was at that time in that one place.

How strongly do you agree with this statement:
I really value a clients money. If i have to work from 2:00am to 5:00am so
he can get off-peak rates, we're both sticking it to the man!

Eh.

True of False:
Dynamic range is overrated .... Track slamming is the "Name of the Game"

Depends on your opinion/preferences I guess. I would say False.

Please send your responses and i'll let you know if you qualify to ask
a professional engineer,

jeff

Dual pentium Xeon 3.20ghz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Delta 1010, 960GB HD Space, Guitar & Bass Pod XT Pro, Rode NTK, Mindprint DTC, Sonar 3 - 5 BFD XFL, Battery 2, & tons of other plugins.Whisperroom, Mackie HR824 Studio Monitors, Keystation 49e.
soundfreely
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/08 03:44:31 (permalink)
I don't know if I can answer for anyone else other than myself. You'll have to check out what others are doing as well. I hope this all helps you some. I don't even really consider myself a "pro" even though I do work with audio for a living. I still am learning new things all the time.

ORIGINAL: music321

well, my original post wasn't my actual question. i've been busy and forgot that i even started this thread. i'm wondering:

1) are most jobs contract (with radio stations, tv shows, etc.) or are they with bands?

Essentially most jobs will be contracts. It might be you directly in contract with the client or you might work for a studio/company that gets the contracts and you're employed by the company. There's a lot more work to be done than just working with bands. My main job is doing post-production type work on audio for an internet company.

2) if most of the jobs are with bands, how steady is the work?

The work can become very steady if you have a good reputation and people like you.

3) how many hours does the average recording engineer put in per week?

Since I work for a small/medium sized company, I work about 40 hours per week. I also do contract work on the side and that work is more for my enjoyment. I get to be more selective with the contract/freelance work because I already get a steady pay check from my full-time audio gig. How many hours you work will depend upon how many hours you are willing to work as well as how many hours you'll need to work. There may be some times where you'll have to work a lot of hours to meet a tight deadline. Then, you may just have some slower times (like I am having right now--hence the typing of this post )

4) what kind of money is made?

Money....well...that depends. As an assistant engineer, you can expect anywere from the mid 20s to the low 30s per year. A senior engineer earns anywhere from $40k on up to about $90k on average (this would be US income based upon my experience within the NYC and LA scenes--it may be different elsewhere). Most engineers don't earn 6 figure incomes but I do know some post guys that earn well into the 6 figure salary range. There's also some big name guys that do pretty well for themselves. When starting out, expect to be broke for a few years. Myself, well...I don't really earn a lot of money but I do earn more than some of my friends who are working in other more common professions. It did take me a few years to get to where I am now and I am certainly not finished looking for that better paying gig either.

5) regarding questions 3 and 4: does this differ significantly depending on whether someone lands a
job with a popular band, etc.?

You can be in the right place at the right time and land a great gig but that's not likely. You'll need to be very creative in finding out what type of work is going to come your way.

6) is landing a well-paying job with a band, radio station, tv show, etc. hard to get?

The short answer is yes. However, if you make the right contacts and do good work, in time you should be able to find something. You most likely won't make a lot of money because most people get into this field out of a passion for audio and not to make a lot of money.

7) must i work in a large city, or are there jobs in smaller cities (75,000 people or so)?

I work in a smaller city just outside of New York City. Previously, I had worked in NYC which was both a lot of fun and a PITA. It depends upon what type of work you want to do also. If you want to work with bigger name people, chances are you'll need to be in a larger city. However, I've worked indirectly with some fairly well known names at my present job by working remotely or having the audio sent here from other places. Some of the "bigger" location jobs do require that I head into NYC but doing it once in a while keeps it interesting.

Audio engineering is definitely a tough field to get into. It is also changing these days--many studios are getting sold and closed down because they're not making money. There is still money to be made but you need to be creative about finding those jobs. If this is something that you truly have a passion for doing, then go ahead and give it a shot. Though, if you're not too sure, I'd say do something else for money and work with audio as a hobby.

HTH,
Erik

post edited by soundfreely - 2005/12/08 03:52:12
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/08 09:06:26 (permalink)

well, my original post wasn't my actual question. i've been busy and forgot that i even started this thread. i'm wondering:

1) are most jobs contract (with radio stations, tv shows, etc.) or are they with bands?
5) regarding questions 3 and 4: does this differ significantly depending on whether someone lands a
6) is landing a well-paying job with a band, radio station, tv show, etc. hard to get?
7) must i work in a large city, or are there jobs in smaller cities (75,000 people or so)?

well, that's all i can think of for now. thanks.

i would suggest contacting one of the big audio engineering schools (like Full Sail, etc.). they get
info from their graduate periodically to see who's working where, what kind of gigs they're getting.
if they think you're a prospective student (wink), they'll likely share this info with you.

secondly, if there are any studios or radio stations near where you work, don't be shy .. call 'em up
and ask for the lead engineer and/or the studio manager. and tell them why you're calling. i believe
you'll find the profession to be very social (for the most part). you'll get a feel for how things
are in your area. they may not be able to talk at the time you call .. but see if you can get them to
set aside a time when you can call. sometimes studios have tour times set aside during the week
for an hour or two for prospective clients to drop in.. you might be able to
drop in for one of them and get a list of "house regulars".

jeff

sneekler
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/08 10:25:06 (permalink)
Try this out...Good info and amusing story.
rolo95
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1607
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/08 10:39:19 (permalink)

Hi ya GANG!!!

this...thread brings me flashback memories... of the
Mmm....what is that name.... tea room.....no no no.... juice basement.... no no no on

capuchino place.... no no no no no..... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
COFEE HOUSEEEEEEEEEE

Greets
Rolo.

-----------------------------------------------------
THERE IS NO POWER Without KNOWLEDGE !!!
-----------------------------------------------------
music321
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/13 22:42:48 (permalink)
thanks to all. for me, maybe this will remain a hobby.
Rednroll
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/13 23:52:48 (permalink)
thanks to all. for me, maybe this will remain a hobby

Good Answer.

For a summarized answer to all your questions. What you can expect in choosing a path to be a professional engineer? You can expect to work for free in the name of gaining experience for the first part of your career. From there you can expect to make somewhere close to minimum wage, probably having to work 2 jobs so you can afford to pay for such luxaries as paying for your shared apartment and buying a beat up old car that is just good enough to get you back and forth to your 2 jobs. Then you will get a minimal raise at your studio job with your increased experience and be able to quit your second job because now you have built up a regular clientel, where now you will then be basically working close to 16 hours a day with on and off times and getting paid for 8....that's actually part of your raise package, which allowed you to quit the second job, but now you're only working 1 job with more hours and the same amount of money.

Basically put, a "professional" recording engineering job is one of the most technically challenging, patience testing, low paying jobs on the planet. But most of us don't get in to it for the money (or at least that's what we keep telling ourselves). We get into it because we like the technical challenge, we like being creative and we love music. We are on the thought process that I am doing this because I love to make music. Then a few years down the road (maybe more) we realize that we are working so much on other peoples music that we never have time to work on our own music. Then when we do find a smidget of time to work on our own music, the last thing we feel like doing is being creative, since the creative juices have been sucked out of us. So instead, we sit in a quiet dark room crack open a beer and listen to silence.....and we say...."ahhhhhh...now this is heaven!!!!". Then we usually fall asleep by the time we finish the bottom of that one beer.......or if you're an over achiever you quickly slam 3 of them down before Mr. Sandman takes you off into neverland.

Jeff's original post to your question was GOLDEN. He is making a joke and able to laugh at himself, but everything he mentioned is true in one form or another. But that's the only way you can survive the mental pounding in this line of work. You have to be able to laugh at yourself......sometimes laughing at yourself quite a bit, where sometimes you'll laugh hard enough to make yourself cry. If you get into this thinking you're going to be working with famous people making lots of money one day, well that's a good thing to keep you going and driving you to work harder on your craft but, I can assure you, your chances of that are probably better by playing Lotto.
post edited by Rednroll - 2005/12/14 00:00:17
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 03:56:20 (permalink)
Originally I wanted to be a rock star until I realized that rock stars get paid less than recording engineers

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 08:31:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

Originally I wanted to be a rock star until I realized that rock stars get paid less than recording engineers

I got half way there and became a Rock !

You should see the things that crawl out from under me !

Yes.
davidchristopher
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1360
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 08:48:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

Me too, but now I'm too old and fat :)

David Bistolas
www.bistolas.net
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 11:08:06 (permalink)

thanks to all. for me, maybe this will remain a hobby.

if you love it, then by all means pursue it. just do a gut
check about how much you love it . 'cause it's an
increasingly competitive space. being flexible
helps .. you may love electronica .. but you might
wind up doing cues for RV commercials...

jeff

darc
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 764
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 12:40:35 (permalink)
Funniest thread I've ever read on the Sonar forum.

"It's just like Vegas in here..."

That's so weird, my wife actually said the exact same thing last week about the studio I just threw together in my basement, and I had no idea what she meant by it.

if you love it, then by all means pursue it. just do a gut check about how much you love it . 'cause it's an
increasingly competitive space. being flexible helps .. you may love electronica .. but you might wind up doing cues for RV commercials...

I'm a rock and roll guy and the only "professional" work I've ever done was for a couple of rappers. And, yes, I got paid peanuts in the end. It was fun, but I'd sooner put what little free time I have into my own music than take on another project like that.

the studio i hang at is near a well-stocked liquor store, a good pizza place, and a strip club

Cake ought to get to work on some plugins for these. (Actually, a Google search would probably turn up some options for that last one LOL.)
post edited by darc - 2005/12/14 12:46:52
nprime
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2423
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 13:06:32 (permalink)

These are two different types of work and many studios will specialize in one or the other. Most will take whatever they can get, so you may end up doing both types of work.

In the end, that will depend on how good you are, both in a technical sense and in a "people skills" sense.

0-100, again depending on your reputation.

If you are working for a studio they would love to have you on a salary and then work you to death. The hourly rates vary hugely from city to city and even business to business, so that's a hard question to answer.

I don't think bands will often have thier own studio engineer. they may stick with a particular producer, but I don't think they care who's behind the board as long as they know the facilty they are working in like the back of their hand.

Yes

Bigger the city the more jobs available, and the more people there are looking for those jobs, don't know if city size is a critical factor in getting a job. In the end it's all about engineering skills and networking abilities.

well, that's all i can think of for now. thanks.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
newfuturevintage
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1848
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 14:13:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jmarkham

Multiple Choice (choose up to 2):
If my girlfriend becomes emotionally involved with the
lead singer of the band I'm recording, I would:
a. Take it as a normal part of my profession.
b. Shove a Shure SM57 down his throat
c. Make his tracks sound like crap
d. Dump my girlfriend for the lead singer's girlfriend.

Damn. I thought I was the only one this happened to.

In my case, they ended up getting married!

I opted for e:
Make his mixes sound great.
Help her move out of the house.
Keep her Strat and MusicMan amp.
I'm still angling for her '75 p-bass...

My inner child is an angry drunk.
RE: professional recording engineer 2005/12/14 14:23:10 (permalink)
I'm still angling for her '75 p-bass...

if you get your local Fender Protective Services involved, they
might help you make an "unfit owner" charge.

jeff
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1