Converting files to be burned on cd

Author
Erinski
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/11/30 15:21:12 (permalink)

Converting files to be burned on cd

okay i am new at recording... i have recorded a song and i would like to burn it on a cd to give to someone.. but when i try and burn it it wont because the song is on like a MIDI file im guessing.. how do i convert it into an mp3 or WAV file so i can burn it on a cd??..please help!

5 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Converting files to be burned on cd 2005/11/30 16:38:36 (permalink)
    Well that depends on IF they are Mid files, and if so then what synth the file run thru to make sounds. If you are using edirol VSC to make the mid play then just go to edit/bounce to track(s) and hit that and watch what happens, if using microsoft synth GS then ..... well switch to edirol and proceed as mentioned above.

To swithch to edirol, just open an audio track set the audio tracks fx to edirol and then set the midi tracks to output thru edirol and Waa Laa! Instant wave audio file that can be burned to a CD
    Erinski
    RE: Converting files to be burned on cd 2005/11/30 17:14:54 (permalink)
    okay i probably sound really dumb right now.. but i'm new at this so i don't really know what that means.. okay like i have a digital piano which is hooked up to my computer through MIDI cables...and i tried the bounce tracks it said "no audio to mix-down".. um.. and the other suggestion i don't understand.. do you think so could explain it again.. sorry, i'm really slow at this, forgive me...please help
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Converting files to be burned on cd 2005/11/30 18:18:57 (permalink)
    OK, you "played" MIDI data into your computer. MIDI is data, not sound, that tells the computer sound chip what to play. You need to convert the data into an audio signal - sound as 1's and 0's in the digital world. You need to convert the MIDI to audio. Fortunately for you, there is great information on how to convert in MC's help file and there are some great tutorials for doing so - here they are:

MIDI to Audio
    MIDI TO AUDIO - another way millerbill
    Those struggling to covert MIDI to AUDIO will probably find this Cakewalk Tutorial interesting. It's interactive and in COLOR!
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/New%20FAQ/MIDI%20to%20AudioWeb.html
    Yeah, I know, it says SONAR, but basically it works the same in MC.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=347191

Converting MIDI to Audio
    When you finally get your MIDI project into the shape you want. You can convert the MIDI tracks to audio for export as Wave, MP3, or other file formats. If you are using external MIDI modules, just record the outputs of your modules into your sound card. If you are using DXi soft synths, use the File-Export-Audio command, or the Edit-Bounce to Track(s) command. If you are using the built-in synthesizer in your sound card to produce MIDI sounds, you can use your sound card's "what you hear" or wave capture function to convert the MIDI tracks, if your sound card can function this way. See the following procedure:

To Convert MIDI to Audio
    1. Make sure that the Audio Engine button in the Transport toolbar is in the up (disabled) position.
    2. Select Options-Audio to open the Audio Options dialog and click the Input Monitoring tab. Make sure the audio device
    you are using to record the MIDI is not selected and click OK.
    3. Pick a destination audio track (or create a new one) and set the In field to Stereo (name of your sound card).
    4. Arm the destination track.
    5. Mute or archive any tracks that you don't want to record to the destination track.
    6. If Music Creator metronome is set to use any software synth to produce a click, disable the metronome during recording
    option in the Project Options dialog box. To do this, select Options-Project to open the Project Options dialog box,
    select the Metronome tab and uncheck Recording in the General section. Alternatively, you could set the metronome
    to use the PC speaker and not use a MIDI note.
    7. Open your sound card's mixer device. This is normally done by double-clicking the speaker icon on your Windows
    taskbar, or by choosing Start-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Volume Control-Options-Properties.

Note: Some sound cards, such as the SoundBlaster Live, have their own proprietary mixer. If yours has one, please use it instead.

8. If you're using the Windows mixer, use its Options-Properties command to open the Properties dialog box, click
    Recording (in the Adjust Volume For field), and make sure all boxes in the Show the Following Volume Controls
    field are checked.
    9. Click OK, and locate the slider marked MIDI, Synth, Mixed Input, or What You Hear. Check the Select box at the bottom,
    then close the window.
    10. In Music Creator, rewind to the beginning of your project, click the Record button, and click the Stop button when you're
    done recording.
    Music Creator records all the MIDI tracks that are assigned to your sound card synth as a stereo audio track.
    After you finish recording, mute the MIDI tracks that you just recorded so you don't hear them and the new audio track at the same time.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=417024
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2005/11/30 18:21:04

Jeff
    Erinski
    RE: Converting files to be burned on cd 2005/11/30 19:14:52 (permalink)
    wow that site was very helpful! thank you very much.. i just have one last question (i swear this will be the last one).. the sixth step says " plug an audio cable from the output of your keyboard to the line input on the soundcard"... i have MIDI cables hooking up the computer and the keyboard, so do i need another cable?...if so, what kind? (like i know an audio)
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Converting files to be burned on cd 2005/12/02 20:38:27 (permalink)
    Yes you need an audio cable to provide the sounds from your keyboard to the computer. Just a quarter inch from the line out or phones into a quarter-to-eight inch converter into your soundcard's line-in. That's it.

Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1