Bad time to get a new computer

Author
Thomas Campitelli
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 598
2005/12/03 12:43:59 (permalink)

Bad time to get a new computer

Is it just me, or does it seem like now is not the best time to get a new computer for audio work? The switch to PCIe seems to represent a real problem for glitch-free audio, especially in the AMD world. Am I exaggerating this problem? I do hope that in the next year or two, things get sorted better with chipsets, features, and audio stability. I don't need the fastest, I just need something that works.

Thomas Campitelli
http://www.crysknifeband.com

4 Replies Related Threads

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Bad time to get a new computer 2005/12/03 12:45:47 (permalink)
    I agree. I'm either gonna wait or buy one of the last available agp mother boards.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Bad time to get a new computer 2005/12/03 18:39:51 (permalink)
    Is it just me, or does it seem like now is not the best time to get a new computer for audio work? The switch to PCIe seems to represent a real problem for glitch-free audio, especially in the AMD world. Am I exaggerating this problem? I do hope that in the next year or two, things get sorted better with chipsets, features, and audio stability. I don't need the fastest, I just need something that works.

That depends on where you are at currently in terms of performance. From my perspective it's a *good* time to upgrade because my DAW is about 6 years old. You can still get last years best boards if you look around and they'll still be likely to accept your current AGP and Audio cards. That won't be the case in the very near future. The ASUS A8V Deluxe will be 8 or 9 times faster than what I have now if I stick in the right Athlon 64 X2 processor. I agree with you that if you already have a fast relatively current system now would be a bad time to update.
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Bad time to get a new computer 2005/12/03 23:48:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eric_peterson
    That depends on where you are at currently in terms of performance. From my perspective it's a *good* time to upgrade because my DAW is about 6 years old.

That's a good point. However, I would argue your job is somewhat harder now than it was a year or two ago. If you can get an AGP board, you may be in good shape. I am posing this question more out of general interest than out of direct personal relevance. My PC is only two or three years old and it is doing pretty well. I like to keep tabs on what it out there, however, and I am less impressed by what I see than I was in the recent past. Perhaps I am being silly, but it feels like the current crop of motherboards with partially implemented PCIe architectures make building a DAW a bigger challenge.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Bad time to get a new computer 2005/12/04 00:24:03 (permalink)
    Perhaps I am being silly, but it feels like the current crop of motherboards with partially implemented PCIe architectures make building a DAW a bigger challenge.

Anytime they introduce new standards like PCIe there is a settling time. You're right, is a bigger challenge right now. If people can afford to wait, they probably should. In my case, I just spent three years building a 500 ft^2 studio in my basement, and I really want to be able to use it to its full potential, and my DAW simply isn't cutting it now that I have added a fully mic'd drum kit to the equation.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1