Author
angelo_maci
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 207
2005/12/05 13:45:45 (permalink)

P5 and Live5

Hi
does someone know Live5 from Ableton?
which are the main defferences and similitudes with P5?
thx in advance

7 Replies Related Threads

SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: P5 and Live5 2005/12/05 15:39:58 (permalink)
    I've been messing with the Live5 demo lately. In terms of general capabilities, these two programs are very similar. They both have an arrange view that operates with loops and runs a bit like ACID, have a Live performance view that's grid-based for triggering loops, can record audio, have very solid engines, come with a bunch of synths and effects, are somewhat geared towards electronic/popular music, run vst's and rewire.

P5 comes with better synths in my opinion. Dimension is just awesome and a great value, and PSYN is good. Live comes with a basic sampler and its main synth, Operator costs something like $150 extra (no thanks).

Live seems to have more features overall though. Things that P5 is missing that Live has are things like good bussing options, good Rewire integration with Reason (huge one for me), more audio editing features, both spline and graph automation editing, multiple output channels and multitrack recording, a mixer view...and that's all I can think of right now.

I'm finding Live harder to wrap my head around than P5 was. I thought P5 was amazingly easy and simple to learn. P5's interface looks much nicer in my opinion also.

Live can't run DX plugs, just VST's . All my nice Cakewalk plugs from Sonar and P5 won't run in Live. Blah.

I've been considering getting Live myself. Currently I'm doing this weird jumping and rewiring between Acid, P5, and Reason and its so disorganized and heavy on the CPU, its really slowing me down. Live's features for me, seem like it would let me consolidate what I want P5 and Acid for into one program: Live, and then rewire Reason in.

sluggo
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: P5 and Live5 2005/12/05 15:41:57 (permalink)
    Project5
    Better selection of included synths and samplers. Highlights for me are PsynII, Dimension, and Velocity. These are all great syths/samplers
    Better workflow for composing imo
    More efficient workspace
    Has the groove pane for looping grooves

Live5
    Included samplers aren't that great imo.
    Very cool effects are included
    More flexible for handling loops
    More flexible for remixing (for example, putting together a dj set)
    has the session view, which is like P5's groove pane but better
    more flexible for routing audio/midi (ie subgroups, aux, midi fx chaining...)

I use Project5 way more because I much prefer it for composing.

s
    SuperGreenX
    RE: P5 and Live5 2005/12/05 15:50:05 (permalink)
    One thing that's blowing my mind in Live is that you can drag a piece of an audio clip from the arrange pane into a pad on the Impulse drum sampler. Wowoww. Chop your own loops and then make drum samples out of them without even leaving your arrange view in your sequencer. Very nice! That's something I know I would use a bunch.

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: P5 and Live5 2005/12/05 15:59:45 (permalink)
    SuperGreenX (or should I call you red? J/K)

Yer a guy I'd love to have living next door. I'd learn so much from having you around!! Man..this guy plays with em all! Reason, Live, P5, etc. Pretty hands-on kinda guy.

I was wondering though, as I've never used it, what you mean by good Rewire integration...I mean I thought it either was "on" or "off". Either it worked or didnt. Does it have different capabilities?
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: P5 and Live5 2005/12/05 16:02:02 (permalink)
    I have Live 4 and it takes forever to load, probably because it scans for new vst(i)'s every damn time it loads.
    I just upgraded to Sonar 5 and with the new Vst adapter, guess which one loads faster.

*Sonar*!!!

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    SuperGreenX
    RE: P5 and Live5 2005/12/05 16:21:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

SuperGreenX (or should I call you red? J/K)

Yer a guy I'd love to have living next door. I'd learn so much from having you around!! Man..this guy plays with em all! Reason, Live, P5, etc. Pretty hands-on kinda guy.

I was wondering though, as I've never used it, what you mean by good Rewire integration...I mean I thought it either was "on" or "off". Either it worked or didnt. Does it have different capabilities?

Well, I'm speaking in particular ReWire integration with Reason. I think most other rewire apps won't require the amount of midi control one would want to sequence with in Reason.

I dunno if you've heard about it before, but Cakewalk stuff always has a 16 machine midi rewire channel limit: AKA if I want to control my reason synths from Sonar or P5, I can only control the first 16 machines I add to the Reason rack. This includes Reason's hardware interface (which is always the first machine in the rack), any effect, any synth, and even little units like the spider audio merger/splitter that has no controls. It's always the first 16! You can't go back and just change the order of the machines on the rack either. There are some workarounds, I know about all of them (wrote about one in the P5 wiki), but its still way more difficult than it should be. People have been asking Cake to fix this stuff for a long time. I know I have since Sonar3.

Live has NONE of this limitation. It works exactly how it should and its easy. Every single reason machine is controllable wherever it is.

Also, (this could be somewhat a fault of Reason) Reason can output 64 audio channels through rewire into the host, however only the first pair of outputs (1+2) are linked stereo. Every output after that don't automatically link, so they go into your host as seperate mono channels. In Sonar you can get around this by making two audio tracks: one panned all the way left, and one right. Send Reason rewire channel 3 to the left one, channel 4 to the right one. Then send both of those sonar tracks to a bus to combine them. Irritating. Now imagine trying to do this with P5....you just can't because it has no bussing options, unless you want to do something weird with P5's aux sends.

Live smartly automatically brings in ALL reason rewire channels as stereo pairs. It really seems they wanted Live to work awesomely with Reason, and it does. AFAIK, Live is the host that works best with Reason.

P5 actually works worse with Reason than Sonar does because of those bussing limitations. And Sonar already didn't work well

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: P5 and Live5 2005/12/05 16:50:25 (permalink)
    Been having this dilemma myself recently....mainly because Live does the things that P5 currently doesn't that I want(bussing, mixer view, ability to trigger frozen clips), plus I already have a Lite version of Live so I can get the full version for a decent price. That said, I find P5 a nicer app overall and feel the workflow is far better for me (although that could be due to familiarity)...it seems that changing synths/effects (and their presets) takes more clicks in Live than it does in P5.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1