Slicing and saving individual WAVs

Author
Treppenwitz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
2005/12/05 22:45:39 (permalink)

Slicing and saving individual WAVs

Okay, I have what seems like an easy problem to solve. Let me tell you what I would ideally like to do, and you tell me if there is an easy way to do this in Sonar.

I've recorded a 10 minute track from vinyl into a track in Sonar. I'd like to take the audio, drag my mouse through a small section to make a clip that I want to save, right click and say, "Save as WAV" and give it a unique file name. I'd like to do this about 10 times in each band of the LP to build up some samples (it's a 1950s exercise instruction record--pure gold).

And yes, I know this isn't the way the Sonar UI works. I wish it did, since I find that Sonar's drag-to-select within the track is a little clumsy, and "Save As" is not a right click option. But that's sort of a red herring.

What I want is an easy way to select sections of a long WAV and save as a bunch of short ones with unique names.

What's an easy way to do that?

20 Replies Related Threads

glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/05 23:23:03 (permalink)
    Treppenwitz:

I can't think of a Super Easy way to do this in Sonar. It's a perfect application for a Wave Editor like Adobe Audition .... click and drag to mark selection, right click and "Save Selection".

If you don't have a Wave Editor, it might be possible to do the same in Audacity? At least that's free ... it won't cost you anything to find out:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

In fact, I think you can get a free demo of Audition that's fully functional fro about 30 days and then expires. Might be worth a try ... certainly it's legal.

Best
    Geoff
    kfischer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 452
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/05 23:24:50 (permalink)
    Use markers. You set marks for beginning and ending spots. Select the entire track, then expose the marker selection and select a single marker (or group of markers) and Export, Audio - give it a name.

I do exactly what you're asking for all the time. It's easy. Read up on markers.

jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/05 23:33:16 (permalink)
    ,,well ,,,,,ya know,,,,, ya could ,, 'split or use 'split repeatedly",,on your file,, then use ,,,,,, bounce to clip,,, (assign a keybinding,,ya know),,,,this removes all 'hidden data ',,,,, beyond "slip edit' points,,,,,,,, then,,doulble click ,,,,,on a clip,,,, hit 'F" in the loop construction view to save ,,,,,,,or just drag into a folder ,,,,,, drag and drop,,,,,,,,,,, " bounce to clip,, is useful for many things,,,,,,,, perhaps this might help ya,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 01:32:43 (permalink)
    Markers ... splits ... export audio ... bounce to clip ... bounce to track ...

Yes, you sure can do all this, but if you've got a lot it's still a bit of a hassle, imho. I'd still say that using a wave editor like Adobe Audition or Sound Forge for this is a lot easier and quicker. Horses for courses relly ....
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 02:40:39 (permalink)
    Yes, you sure can do all this, but if you've got a lot it's still a bit of a hassle, imho. I'd still say that using a wave editor like Adobe Audition or Sound Forge for this is a lot easier and quicker. Horses for courses relly ....

I must agree! Sound Forge is the first place I would do that!

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    Rustic Raf
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 05:46:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL:

I can't think of a Super Easy way to do this in Sonar. It's a perfect application for a Wave Editor like Adobe Audition ....

I'd still say that using a wave editor like Adobe Audition or Sound Forge for this is a lot easier and quicker

I must agree! Sound Forge is the first place I would do that!

This is my personal gripe with Sonar. Do we really need (already at version 5) to employ a second program to perform such simple edits ? After all Sonar call its self a 'Production' program, having to jump to and fro various programs for basics like this is hardly conducive to streamlined production. This is not meant as a flame, I'm simply wondering . It sometimes feels like Cakewalk has a secret contract with an audio editing program company, which means that Sonar will never be properly developed for detailed and quick editing. It's a ridiculous thought, I know...
    brucie
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 07:14:17 (permalink)
    Could this be a reason people use Pro tools more? ;)

Sorry I said this because of the huge Pro Tools arguements that have been going on for a while recently on the forum.

Sorry

Neil

Neil S. Bruce Msc B.Eng(Hons) Dip(Mus)
    Sound Designer, Composer and Audio Engineer

- Manchester
    Tel : +44 (0)7771 877690
    Web : www.spencerbruce.com
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 11:23:15 (permalink)
    What I want is an easy way to select sections of a long WAV and save as a bunch of short ones with unique names.

Are you kidding? Sonar is awesome when doing edits like this. Alt/Drag over the area you want to copy then Ctrl/drag the highlighted area to a new track or, after Alt/dragging to highlight the area press Ctrl/C to copy and then position your mouse pointer where you want to place your copy and Ctrl/v to paste it. After making copies right click on the clips and rename them. It really doesn't get any easier than this.

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 11:24:57 (permalink)
    I would highly recommend a program like Sound Forge or Audition for wav editing. They work seemlessly within Sonar. No need to exit Sonar.

For what you're trying to do, I would just open the wav up in one of those programs and slice 'n dice. No need to even use Sonar.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 11:32:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: brucie

Could this be a reason people use Pro tools more? ;)

not really, ProTools and Sonar are very similar in this regard. Sonar calls
    them "clips", Protools calls them "regions". What ProTools has that Sonar
    does not is a browser that let's you see all of the regions and has commands
    to consolidate regions down .. then you go into the audio folder and
    snag the .wav files which correspond to the track you've sliced up.
    no magic .. but it's very explicit. you can figure out which .wav files
    are being used in Sonar too (assuming you're using per-project
    audio) .. by using the clip properties dialog ... just make sure
    you apply trims (assuming you've done slip editing of one form
    or another).

jeff
    ps: and i agree with the others .. SoundForge does a nice job for this
    particular task.
    post edited by jmarkham - 2005/12/06 11:36:18
    sneekler
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 12:10:34 (permalink)
    Use markers. You set marks for beginning and ending spots. Select the entire track, then expose the marker selection and select a single marker (or group of markers) and Export, Audio - give it a name.

For that matter all you have to do is highlight/select the section you want and click Export. Only the highlighted section will export.
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 12:26:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sneekler

For that matter all you have to do is highlight/select the section you want and click Export. Only the highlighted section will export.

yea .. but i got the impression he wanted one .wav file per clip?

jeff
    sneekler
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 12:28:13 (permalink)
    He will as long as he saves each wave with a different name, like the name of the track from the vinyl.
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 12:39:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sneekler

He will as long as he saves each wave with a different name, like the name of the track from the vinyl.

Yes, but i was under the impression he wanted an "easy way to do this" ... and had tried using
    selection already.

sneekler
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 12:45:16 (permalink)
    Yes, but i was under the impression he wanted an "easy way to do this" ... and had tried using
    selection already.

Yeah, I see what you're saying from his original post. It would be nice to right click and do a Save As...but you can't. I was just saying that using markers is more time consuming due to the fact that 1) you have to set them up, and 2) then you have to re-select them to define your area of export.

That being said, if you set up markers once, you have nice guides if you ever need to select the exact same sections again. So that is a time saver.
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 13:05:29 (permalink)
    what might be cool is an option to File->Export Audio

In the Source Category to have a new category "Clips" as a finer
    grain than Tracks...

So you'd get wave files of the form

FileName-TrackName-ClipName.wav

Could make some monster weird file names .. but only moderately
    worse than Tracks.....

jeff
    blueelectron9
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 14:03:03 (permalink)
    I use Cakewalk's Pyro 5 or the shareware program CD Wave.

Good luck,
    Scotty
    traxx_00
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/06 15:13:47 (permalink)
    I feel the same way about the editing on Sonar.!! U would think by version 5 that you would be able to edit better without much headache!
    Treppenwitz
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/10 21:17:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have a friend at Adobe who tells me he will hook me up with a copy of Audition when the new version comes out next year. In the mean time, I've been getting by with Audacity. I'll read up on markers and see how well that works. Sonar is an amazing program, but it often seems to come up shy of intuitive for some things like this.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Slicing and saving individual WAVs 2005/12/10 23:31:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jb

Are you kidding? Sonar is awesome when doing edits like this. Alt/Drag over the area you want to copy then Ctrl/drag the highlighted area to a new track or, after Alt/dragging to highlight the area press Ctrl/C to copy and then position your mouse pointer where you want to place your copy and Ctrl/v to paste it. After making copies right click on the clips and rename them. It really doesn't get any easier than this.

The Sonar Wiki needs You!!!

yeah, I know, shameless plug and all, but this is a resource that's being ignored here.
    Instead of RTFM, we could say RTFW!!!!

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1