More memory or Better Processor?

Author
quanah
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2005/12/07 14:25:14 (permalink)

Ive been struggling with Sonar 5 on what I would call a fairly robust machine...however, Im wondering if I need to upgrade the processor or the RAM. Currently, Ive a Pent IV 2Ghz |FSB 100mhz (most likely 400), 758 M RAM| . Ive read various suggestions..such as more RAM or faster Processor. I can say, with more than 8 tracks SIMUL, I start to max out the CPU and start getting dropouts. I have the machine tweaked vigourously down to just as basic as I can get.

Any ideas?

16 Replies Related Threads

Guitarmech111
    Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5085
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/07 14:29:19 (permalink)
    faster processor. Make sure your hard drives are at least 7200rpm drives too. Faster memory ans

ORIGINAL: quanah

Ive been struggling with Sonar 5 on what I would call a fairly robust machine...however, Im wondering if I need to upgrade the processor or the RAM. Currently, Ive a Pent IV 2Ghz |FSB 100mhz (most likely 400), 758 M RAM| . Ive read various suggestions..such as more RAM or faster Processor. I can say, with more than 8 tracks SIMUL, I start to max out the CPU and start getting dropouts. I have the machine tweaked vigourously down to just as basic as I can get.

Any ideas?

Peace,
    Conley Shepherd
    Joyful Noise Productions
    PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
    Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/07 15:56:52 (permalink)
    Both!
    Nitro
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/07 16:09:39 (permalink)
    Just a thought here, but i'm guessing that you have 3 x 256 meg stick for the Ram. If your board has a forth slot, you may want to fill it. Depending on the Ram type (most likely DDR judging by your processor speed) if it is dual channel and you only have 3 slots filled you are essentially crippling the Ram. I would start by filling up all slots so that the Ram runs in true dual channel mode. This will give you speed and as such the processor won't be pushed quite as hard. Just a thought.
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/07 20:40:49 (permalink)
    Your weak point is definitely your processor.
    mildew
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/07 23:48:45 (permalink)
    its a configuration issue - back in the cakewalk6 days i could easily run 20+ tracks on my p2-233 16mb ram win98. Your computer might not be the fastest, but its more than enough to record music on - i spent years producing 30+ track songs on a p3-666.

I notice you mention cpu spikes - im running 5.0.1 and cpu never twitches more than 5% - im guessing its a config issue causing the spikes and dropouts.

You have not mentioned what audio interface you are using - perhaps its drivers are inconsistent on cpu drain and require a higher latency to ride out the bumps?

m
    post edited by mildew - 2005/12/07 23:56:34
    jmcelroy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/08 10:06:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: quanah

Any ideas?

Don't forget to ask yourself what your motherboard's maximum processor speed is, too. If it turns out that you've maxed your mobo out already then new processor == new motherboard. Personally, even though it's more expensive, I always save my pennies until I have enough for a new processor, mobo, and some new RAM and I just give my whole system a facelift all at once. You might not be in a position to do that, and might just need a quick fix, but I find that if I do it that way I make really large leaps in computer power while keeping all of my components in the same generation. It also makes me re-install the OS, which means that I end up with a clean install, and a more-or-less new computer and that usually makes all of my current computing problems go away.

Just a thought.
    whycalvary
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/08 11:02:10 (permalink)
    You've gotten everything from buy nothing to buy everything! Confusing business these computers are.

It sounds like a driver issue, maybe a tweak in S5 or with your soundcard will help. Truth is, the reason you have gotten so many answers is that the problem could be anything.

What sound card are you using? Are the drivers up to date?

OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/08 11:05:45 (permalink)

Yes.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/08 13:51:23 (permalink)
    mildew is on it imo, your spec is more that sufficient to be doing some serious multitracking, do some reading about tweaking your daw and make sure you got everything running tight before spending money on computer hardware that could be buying you mics or knobby boxes with lights on, or even better beer!

Child
    jphilpit
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/08 15:00:35 (permalink)
    The answer also depends on what types of sounds you're working with. If you have MIDI tracks that you're rendering to audio, then be aware that:
    -- samplers tend to want more RAM for holding the sample buffers
    -- synthesizers tend to want more CPU power to do all the calculations, especially a chip with a heavy-duty floating point engine.

If you're mostly recording layered audio (live instruments and vocals), then I'd add more CPU power before upping the RAM.

Given the monetary resources to buy both, the definitely go for it.

John

John Philpit
    Windows XP, 2GB RAM, 2.4GHz dual-core P4, MA FireWire410, S7PE, Sibelius 5, all the EastWest PLAY products
    sinc
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/08 20:31:13 (permalink)
    its a configuration issue - back in the cakewalk6 days i could easily run 20+ tracks on my p2-233 16mb ram win98. Your computer might not be the fastest, but its more than enough to record music on - i spent years producing 30+ track songs on a p3-666.

But the questioner is using Sonar 5 on Windows XP...

You're comparing apples and oranges...
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/09 07:30:11 (permalink)
    it's not apples and oranges it's more like calculators and Crays?

Or are you suggesting that the modern software is more inefficient than the older stuff by an order of degree?

Child
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/09 08:32:13 (permalink)
    spending money on computer hardware that could be buying you mics or knobby boxes with lights on, or even better beer!

You can never have too many knobby boxes with lights, IMO.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    sinc
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/09 08:56:35 (permalink)
    Or are you suggesting that the modern software is more inefficient than the older stuff by an order of degree?

If that's how you want to look at it. I think it's an improper viewpoint, but there's a grain of truth.

Most software today is written with object-oriented languages, in an object-oriented fashion. This method of development emphasizes ease of development and reliability of software over processor efficiency. In other words, programmers let the machine do the part it's good at, while they concentrate on what they have to. The tradeoff is well worth it. The more-CPU-efficient "old style" of development could never create software of the complexity we've now grown accustomed to, at least not in any reasonable time frame.

Every layer of abstraction causes a decrease in raw performance, at an increase in ease of programming, an increase in capability and feature set, and a reduction in the number of possible bugs that can be created during devlepment. The net result is more-powerful and (hopefully) more-reliable software that needs a more-powerful computer.

Windows used to run on an 16-bit machine with less than 1MB of memory, but remember how many features it had?
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/09 09:01:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: whycalvary

You've gotten everything from buy nothing to buy everything! Confusing business these computers are.

It sounds like a driver issue, maybe a tweak in S5 or with your soundcard will help. Truth is, the reason you have gotten so many answers is that the problem could be anything.

What sound card are you using? Are the drivers up to date?

Yeah - honestly, you should be getting better performance from the setup you currently have. Only 8 tracks? No way. That doesn't even make sense. You have some sort of config issue or driver issue or something. Adding more memory or going to a faster processor isn't going to magically make things better unless the parts you currently have are defective or not installed properly. I guess if you can afford the upgrade try it but I'd look for other causes first.

btw: I'm running a 2.8GHz P4 with 1GB Ram - not much more than what you have and I can run 60+ track arrangements.
    post edited by krizrox - 2005/12/09 09:04:23

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    jmcelroy
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: More memory or Better Processor? 2005/12/09 12:04:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sinc

If that's how you want to look at it. I think it's an improper viewpoint, but there's a grain of truth.

Most software today is written with object-oriented languages, in an object-oriented fashion. This method of development emphasizes ease of development and reliability of software over processor efficiency. In other words, programmers let the machine do the part it's good at, while they concentrate on what they have to. The tradeoff is well worth it. The more-CPU-efficient "old style" of development could never create software of the complexity we've now grown accustomed to, at least not in any reasonable time frame.

Every layer of abstraction causes a decrease in raw performance, at an increase in ease of programming, an increase in capability and feature set, and a reduction in the number of possible bugs that can be created during devlepment. The net result is more-powerful and (hopefully) more-reliable software that needs a more-powerful computer.

Windows used to run on an 16-bit machine with less than 1MB of memory, but remember how many features it had?

Yeah, I have to second that. For instance, I do alot of work in Matlab even though it's an interpreted language and not fast by any stretch of the imagination. I work on real world problems, funded by the military, so it's not because I'm some kind of ivory tower academic who can afford to ignore efficiency (in actuality, there aren't many of those guys in computer engineering anyway). Still, Matlab has alot of great algorithms built in and the development time is greatly sped up. Since an efficient solution that's finished past the deadline is absolutely useless, the power of modern computers is relied upon to speed up the dev time. If I ran this stuff on a windows 98 machine, it would take the rest of my life. As it is, some of the stuff I work on is written in C++ and it takes days, sometimes weeks, to finish. This is the type of stuff that couldn't have been done 20 years ago on any computer anywhere.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1